Return of Dining Plan

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Everyone outside the United States doesn't get a room rate deal.
What “deal”? Those prices have been whack for decades.

not to get into the weeds…I just contest that allowing people to buy the dining plan is a “benefit”…prepayment at what is a 50/50 chance of providing any cost benefit isn’t really a “benefit” at all…

…and of course it’s wrecked the sit downs…which is da problem.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not everyone overpays. But we know you hate it so
200.gif
Fundamentally…you have to eat to catch up to it.

and since this is old…those that don’t “overpay” typically load up on character meals that they slap a $50 price tag on…
…so are they saving?

its a bizarre world we live in.

I’ll go….we’ve been on this carousel forever.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Fundamentally…you have to eat to catch up to it.

and since this is old…those that don’t “overpay” typically load up on character meals that they slap a $50 price tag on…
…so are they saving?

its a bizarre world we live in.

I’ll go….we’ve been on this carousel forever.
As I said we know you abhor the dining plan so anything anyone says different will be wrong. Will just agree to disagree on this.

nickys

Premium Member
What “deal”? Those prices have been whack for decades.

not to get into the weeds…I just contest that allowing people to buy the dining plan is a “benefit”…prepayment at what is a 50/50 chance of providing any cost benefit isn’t really a “benefit” at all…

…and of course it’s wrecked the sit downs…which is da problem.
The deals that are almost always available for at least some rooms.

What we pay for a room-only is the published rack rates, all year round. With a $50 per person fee to make any changes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Perfectly accurate. Nothing I will say will change your mind. And vice versa.
Unlike a lot of our round robin brain tangles…I don’t believe this to be the “opinions vary” variety. Not when you look at the history of the “plan”…the pricing, the modifications and the tangible changes to the restaurant operations that were decreed because of it.

I know…I just can’t be “magical” on this one…C’est la vie

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Unlike a lot of our round robin brain tangles…I don’t believe this to be the “opinions vary” variety. Not when you look at the history of the “plan”…the pricing, the modifications and the tangible changes to the restaurant operations that were decreed because of it.

I know…I just can’t be “magical” on this one…C’est la vie
Not my opinion. My actual use of the dining plan.

nickys

Premium Member
I believe you get better ticket prices though, however?
True, but that is changing as of next month - something that only TAs appear to have been told about so far.

It’s all designed to try and lure us from the other Florida attractions. If someone uses every day of their ticket entitlement it is indeed a great deal, no question about it. The reality is though that relatively few do, primarily those that stay onsite.

And they know that, so are banking on people using maybe 1 in 2 days or better still 1 in 3, when the per day cost is about the same as the US tickets.

And that also explains their policy on room rates. Unless you book a package, you’ll pay more for the room than US guests will and less per day for tickets, thus evening things out. And right now the only real benefit to booking a package with them is ease of cancellation, since the sweetener is paltry; I suspect they want the dining plan back before they can really entice more guests to book a package.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
True, but that is changing as of next month - something that only TAs appear to have been told about so far.

It’s all designed to try and lure us from the other Florida attractions. If someone uses every day of their ticket entitlement it is indeed a great deal, no question about it. The reality is though that relatively few do, primarily those that stay onsite.

And they know that, so are banking on people using maybe 1 in 2 days or better still 1 in 3, when the per day cost is about the same as the US tickets.

And that also explains their policy on room rates. Unless you book a package, you’ll pay more for the room than US guests will and less per day for tickets, thus evening things out. And right now the only real benefit to booking a package with them is ease of cancellation, since the sweetener is paltry; I suspect they want the dining plan back before they can really entice more guests to book a package.
I’d be interested to see what a typical “god save the Queen” package runs? Line item costs? It would be interesting to see how they compare to domestic WDTC packages?

nickys

Premium Member
I’d be interested to see what a typical “god save the Queen” package runs? Line item costs? It would be interesting to see how they compare to domestic WDTC packages?
You won’t get a line by line item breakdown.

Room
Tickets

That’s what you’ll see. And it’s priced per person, so there’s no easy way to do a direct comparison anyway. If you have a vpn, go to

nickys

Premium Member
So January 23-29 at port orleans…for 2

I got 2,124 pounds = $2923 USD - $100 gift card and $336 dining credit = $2,497 USD

domestic = $2,900…no food
You only get one dining credit per room. The full amount is based on 14 days, so that figure seems way too high.

Plus it doesn’t qualify because it’s under 7 nights, so no gift card either.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You only get one dining credit per room. The full amount is based on 14 days, so that figure seems way too high.

Plus it doesn’t qualify because it’s under 7 nights, so no gift card either.
…I’m learning here 😎

but if that figure is too high…then there’s a pretty big disparity. Which I knew but hadn’t checked in a really long time.

nickys

Premium Member
…I’m learning here 😎

but if that figure is too high…then there’s a pretty big disparity. Which I knew but hadn’t checked in a really long time.
But it takes the disparity down, because you deducted it from the base value of the package.

So the two packages actually work out almost identical. U.K. - $2923, US - $2900. If your exchange rate is correct.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But it takes the disparity down, because you deducted it from the base value of the package.

So the two packages actually work out almost identical. U.K. - $2923, US - $2900. If your exchange rate is correct.
$1.38/L came out as the current exchange rate.

that comparison makes pretty close to sense to me…a little “less”…but taking into account that Disney has to pay attention to mandatory international airfare (which I’m sure annoys them)…so the cost per day in hasty, rudimentary comparison makes sense.

Still…nice to have food credits and/or gift incentives possible. The US traveler gets “you’ll buy this and like it…you’re so lucky we won’t act like we’re glad to have you…”

since about 2014…anyway 😎

dmw

In the Parks
No
So, just to catch up here...

Without opening a new debate about the dining plan, do we have any reliable insider information as to what Disney's current thinking is about the return of the dining plan? Not speculation or conjecture, but actual reliable information as to what Disney is thinking/planning?
LOL... this thread could not even get to the end of one page without the debate

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom