News Patina Restaurant Group hosting job fair for its Walt Disney World restaurants

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Maria-and-Enzo_Full_39085.jpg

Magic Feather

Is Maya Grill open at CSR? Or am I getting my third parties crossed?

Either way, Space 220 was my initial reaction, too.
Pretty sure the Coronado 3rd party is different.

We're getting to the point where if they want to do Space 220 by the May date I was told, they need to get moving.

Maria-and-Enzo_Full_39085.jpg
Every time I see the little tree they put in the middle of Maria and Enzo's because the space "needed something" I can't help but chuckle.

havoc315

This really speaks to the labor shortage problems hitting the region right now.
Without the college program, cultural ambassadors, and with enhanced unemployment running through September, the ability to increase capacity could really be constrained by labor shortage.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is contributing to Patina delaying opening Space 220: If the are desperate enough to pay sign-on bonuses for their regular listings, might not be the best time to try to fully staff a restaurant from scratch.

Lilofan

This really speaks to the labor shortage problems hitting the region right now.
Without the college program, cultural ambassadors, and with enhanced unemployment running through September, the ability to increase capacity could really be constrained by labor shortage.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is contributing to Patina delaying opening Space 220: If the are desperate enough to pay sign-on bonuses for their regular listings, might not be the best time to try to fully staff a restaurant from scratch.
Hence the allowance of tattoos for staff to attract applicants to fill positions.

havoc315

Palmas Restaurant Group is also hiring for 60+ positions (San Angel Inn, Coronado Springs Resort and Frontera Cocina at Disney Springs) - some select positions have a $1000 sign-on bonus.

Dang…. If there is that much desperation for restaurant labor, could be a long time before WDW dining can return to anything approaching regular capacity.

cmwade77

Dang…. If there is that much desperation for restaurant labor, could be a long time before WDW dining can return to anything approaching regular capacity.
Well, the real problem comes down to unemployment paying more than people can make by going back to work with the additional money being added.any states are already stopping the pandemic assistance portions of unemployment, meaning the extra money and in some cases the extended time has ended. It is looking like Florida needs to do the same.

havoc315

Well, the real problem comes down to unemployment paying more than people can make by going back to work with the additional money being added.any states are already stopping the pandemic assistance portions of unemployment, meaning the extra money and in some cases the extended time has ended. It is looking like Florida needs to do the same.

That likely contributes. Doesn't appear to be the only factor.

Goofnut1980

I wonder how well it pays to be a server at Disney. I now people suck sometimes with tipping, but I would also think based on the per person price, the tips would be decent. Just curious.

havoc315

I wonder how well it pays to be a server at Disney. I now people suck sometimes with tipping, but I would also think based on the per person price, the tips would be decent. Just curious.

Remember, WDW automatically adds 18% gratuity to parties over 6. (I forget if they also automatically add it to buffets).

TikibirdLand

Yeah, let's blame the workers. If employers will improve the work environment (pay, benefits, conditions), maybe they'd get more employees than they could possibly need. There's a good Bored Panda Thread on this.

Mr. Moderate

Yeah, let's blame the workers. If employers will improve the work environment (pay, benefits, conditions), maybe they'd get more employees than they could possibly need. There's a good Bored Panda Thread on this.
It's a mixed bag and more than just one thing at play here. I do agree with you that employers at these places need to pay more and start treating their staff better, thus able to retain them. Some of the examples your link provided was never meant to be a long term career though and most fast food jobs are transitional and geared towards those starting out in the job market or those needing to supplement their income by working a second job, etc. Still those employers need to do better, these places are needed, and the pandemic has shown that.

There is problems though with the extended, higher unemployment benefits and I don't blame some for not wanting to return to a depressing and at times, toxic environment when they can make more at home. However the current situation is not a sustainable one and there needs to be a realistic and fair solution to the employment shortages that the country faces. As I get older I've learned to look at both sides of the equation and see where they are coming from. I don't believe everything has to be black and white, strictly one side or the other.

Goofnut1980

Remember, WDW automatically adds 18% gratuity to parties over 6. (I forget if they also automatically add it to buffets).
so 6 people at $50 for a buffet (which its usually more than $50 plus booze) you could see $54 for just one table. Not amazing but not terrible like a Dennys server who could get at $2-5 per table of 4.

havoc315

so 6 people at $50 for a buffet (which its usually more than $50 plus booze) you could see $54 for just one table. Not amazing but not terrible like a Dennys server who could get at $2-5 per table of 4.

Now expand that.. how many tables during a shift?
I assume they share their tips with bussers, etc. Possibly even pooling their tips. But it can still be a decent wage at the end of the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom