Creations Shop opening this summer

Inspired Figment

There’s nothing wrong with having Mickey & Friends & other pre-established characters visit as tourists, in theme. But they should’ve never become the ‘focus’/center point. That is the problem. Dreamfinder & Figment and their ‘message’ especially, should’ve been the focus. The focus was the message & theme of the park, not the characters. That’s what’s been lost.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There’s nothing wrong with having Mickey & Friends & other pre-established visit as tourists, in theme. But they should’ve never become the ‘focus’/center point. That is the problem. Dreamfinder & Figment and their ‘message’ especially, should’ve been the focus. The focus was the message & theme of the park, not the characters. That’s what’s been lost.
1673896301472.png
1673896355838.png

Inspired Figment

Each park requires its own needs of Imagineering. As they utilize different themes & goals.
They’re not all the same as Disney sees them now. As ways to advertise their film & tv part of the studio. It was a way to expand entertainment and do ‘new’ things in another dimension, not simply market one or the other.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Mickey is also the mascot of the company because it’s what it started with and began its success with… but it never was supposed to be the ‘sole’ focus/entirety of the company. Not Imagineering. Imagineering was never a place that simply made attractions focused entirely on Mickey Mouse and Friends.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

in order for Imagineering to truly live & flourish. You need free spirited creativity & imagination to do it. Who are two characters and a ride that symbolizes that quality perfectly. Dreamfinder & Figment and the original Journey Into Imagination pavilion. But what was the focus/heart of it? Not a professor and a purple dragon… but ‘imagination’, ‘the creative process’, the ‘various realms’ in which we let that quality flourish. A real world quality that makes Disney & society thrive. Everything begins with a spark of inspiration & Imagination.

Inspired Figment

This is something the 02-current Journey Into Imagination “With Figment” gets wrong. It’s got a purple dragon in it sure… but he sure isn’t characterized the way he was originally, he doesn’t have the same purpose, nor does the ride even properly showcase or explain the creative process or really get what imagination is and the positive effect it has in society. Infact, it portrays it as an “interference” that’s “upside down”. The focus seems to be more on advertising/tieing in the Honey I Shrunk IP and the other Sci-Fi flicks that involved Medfield College over anything else. Which is a problem. The fact that ‘that’ is the current symbol for Imagination for WDI & Disney as it stands.. says a mouthful to me.

Dreamfinder & Figment complimented & were fun personifications of that quality & Journey. ‘That’ was what made us love & connect with them so much. Not ‘just’ the fact that they were a professor & a purple dragon.

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

I think it is very important to distinguish between use of the full Mickey character and Mickey ears/hidden Mickeys in the Parks' design. Historically, they have been very different domains. Is there overlap/a spectrum of the usage, of course. But, there's a huge difference between the use you've highlighted vs. Mickey and team exploring the world via World Showcase/future* vs. Mickey being a full-fledged ambassador and focus in the park.

* - I think we all can agree the orange/pink space rainbow future of Mickey and friends would be better than our current world. So, I'm standing by it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom