Fantasmic Reopening Watch

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
I thought It’d be alright to start a reopening watch for Fantasmic since it seems to have a lot of continued refreshes coming along... I’ll keep the list updated as you guys report or whatever I see. Let me know if I missed anything.

1). Map icon changed, Jan. 2
2). Barges being refurbed, Jan. 16
3). Construction permit filed, Feb. 18
4). Fantasmic shirt selling at HS, Feb. 18th
5). Nighttime testing reported, Feb. 24th
6). Queue banners refreshed, April 8th
7). Some type of cleaning(?) happening, front row still removed, April 24th. here
8). Concrete work & track work continuing, May 28th
9). Ship removed, August 22nd
10). Scaffolding now present around the mountain/stage, September 11th.
11). Track also has been removed underneath to where the steamboat is, September 11th.
12). Steamboat continually being take apart and lifted above ground, September 11th.
13). More pipes for water features removed, September 11th

14). Scaffolding still up, October 1st

(I have since given up on keeping up... But people have been posting updates throughout the thread.)

Last edited:

gerarar

Premium Member
The 3 barges have been going through a refurbishment since the closure I believe. The last of the 3 is sent out being refurbed currently.
2324ABA3-9493-44F4-AA00-1E8D62CD7164.jpeg

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
Wow, it's weird seeing the other side of the steamboat. One side is full of theming, while on the other looks like a big block.
Actually, I believe the whole boat is pretty plain... You can see both sides during the show, and in the image above, it would circle around to the audience to where you see the side that is pictured.

Splashin' Ryan

I am crossing m fingers they can update the rock work, it has looked pretty bad over the past handful of years and Imagineering has evolved significantly in their rockwork abilities since it was installed. At the very least some projections on the rocks similar to Disneyland's version would be nice. Maybe even finally getting rid of the permanent tree scrims I always thought looked cheap.

peter11435

I am crossing m fingers they can update the rock work, it has looked pretty bad over the past handful of years and Imagineering has evolved significantly in their rockwork abilities since it was installed. At the very least some projections on the rocks similar to Disneyland's version would be nice. Maybe even finally getting rid of the permanent tree scrims I always thought looked cheap.
The scrims function as curtains during the show

Splashin' Ryan

The scrims function as curtains during the show
I get that they do have some function to bring in some of the larger props on stage but another lift/ hidden rockwork door etc. would make the stage area look much more complete and a little less like a temporary fair display.

champdisney

Here’s to hoping that Disney does a bit of a reimagining with Fantasmic and provides us with new/updated equipment such as lighting and fountain effects. New montages that are in crisp clear HD. Changes to the story... *cough* eliminate Pocahontas *cough* and switch up the Villains lineup. Upgrade the Dragon de Maleficent, the barges, the costumes, and the actual stage itself. Rework the rock work? I rather they tear it down and create something new and modern.

The time has come. Fix the whole damn show. They have till next year. My aspirations for this aren’t high. It’s plausible.

Disney Maddux

Typical "I heard it from a friend" rumor:

Was hanging out with some cast members while waiting for HEA last night, one of whom has a friend that was supposedly told the reason Fantasmic is taking so long is that they're redoing the whole show.

socaljoeyb

I wouldn't be surprised if the DL 2.0 show was brought to Florida with a replacement for the Pirates scene.
Typical "I heard it from a friend" rumor:

Was hanging out with some cast members while waiting for HEA last night, one of whom has a friend that was supposedly told the reason Fantasmic is taking so long is that they're redoing the whole show.

Touchdown

Hello..... rapunzel? Moana?
I think it’s difficult for Disney to use a culture’s demigod in a show framed as a dream of their cooperate mascot. Not only that, in order for the sequence to flow in the show it needs to end on a romantic moment to lead into the Princess portion. Also obviously, it needs to contain human characters for the stunts that said, Tangled, Aladdin, or lifting from DL a Pirates/Aladdin hybrid seems most logical.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom