News Chevrolet is teaming up with Walt Disney World to reveal the all-electric Chevrolet Bolt EUV and Bolt EV

Animaniac93-98

1625254531408.png

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
As a Chevy dealers son I have to laugh at this. They will spend more time charging than on the road.
GM has not done a very good job of marketing and selling EVs and have given Tesla a massive lead.

jpinkc

Tesla is a worse bet car wise. I know people who have had to ship them back for repairs. Electric cars look to be the future but the problems are still numerous. Battery tech still needs to come a long ways, one thing they never talk about is disposal of those batteries, yes they do recycle them but the left over stuff is still highly toxic sludge that has to have special disposal sites and if that leaks, it poisons the ground it gets into about as bad as any heavy toxic waste on the planet. And the point above about the electricity needed to charge these vehicles is another downside. Toyota and Honda offer probably the most reliable electric vehicles, but they face the same problems of the others. Its coming but its not as around the corner as some people want to say and car manufacturers know this. But the segement of the population that thinks this is a silver bullet to fix Global Warming or Ozone or any of the other things they claim dont see the whole supply chain they fixate on gas is bad and electric is good. What good is a Electric car in an area that has rolling blackouts to keep a power grid up when you need a charge etc.

GimpYancIent

Tesla is a worse bet car wise. I know people who have had to ship them back for repairs. Electric cars look to be the future but the problems are still numerous. Battery tech still needs to come a long ways, one thing they never talk about is disposal of those batteries, yes they do recycle them but the left over stuff is still highly toxic sludge that has to have special disposal sites and if that leaks, it poisons the ground it gets into about as bad as any heavy toxic waste on the planet. And the point above about the electricity needed to charge these vehicles is another downside. Toyota and Honda offer probably the most reliable electric vehicles, but they face the same problems of the others. Its coming but its not as around the corner as some people want to say and car manufacturers know this. But the segement of the population that thinks this is a silver bullet to fix Global Warming or Ozone or any of the other things they claim dont see the whole supply chain they fixate on gas is bad and electric is good. What good is a Electric car in an area that has rolling blackouts to keep a power grid up when you need a charge etc.
Stand by for incoming from the pro-Tesla crowd. Full on electric vehicles are not the solution! There are applications for all electric vehicles but not the solution the propaganda implies. Mercedes, Porsche, Audi and other international car producers are forecasting Hybrid and Hydrogen fueled vehicles as the future with all electric merely an interim measure. Commercial fleet applications of Hydrogen fueled vehicles have already been in operation and being evaluated with promising results.

P.S. The Hyundai NEXO is a Hydrogen fueled car currently available to the public in U.S. and Europe

Last edited:

DCLcruiser

As a Chevy dealers son I have to laugh at this. They will spend more time charging than on the road.
The Bolt just needs more range, that's GM's fault, not EVs. I have a Tesla Model Y LR AWD, that we recently drove from NY to New Hampshire (300+ miles w/ elevation changes). One stop, for 15 minutes (barely long enough to use the bathroom)..cost $10...to make it to our destination. With proper charging infrastructure and range, EVs offer a great experience for trips.

Gas cars wouldn't be very useful w/o millions of gas stations.

GM has not done a very good job of marketing and selling EVs and have given Tesla a massive lead.
The new Amazon movie w/ Chris Pratt, Tomorrow War, has a Bolt EV. They never show it charging. There is one clear shot of the words "Bolt EV" and then there is a joke made at it's expense. Missed opportunity to promote the car.

jpinkc

Hydrogen has been in use in the US longer than electric by far. California is the biggest proponent of them that I am aware of as I think most of the State vehicles at one time were using them. EV's even Toyota and Honda who tried electrics as early as 91-93 (I think) had issues. If 2 of the most reliable automakers still have issues with them to this day that should say something. Its mostly material science cant make a battery that can hold up and doesnt cost a fortune to replace and dispose of. Again that is something thats never talked about by the electric crowd. If you have an EV you should ask about replacement cost and the disposal fee. Most states require them listed as Hazardous materials and there are fees to dispose of them.

Disstevefan1

I agree. Ever since the automobile was invented folks would buy a certain make and model to make themselves feel good, feel successful, feel cool.

Is no different for the electric vehicle. It makes folks feel good that they have an electric vehicle. They feel progressive, they feel good in that they think they are helping to save the planet. Nothing wrong with that, it’s human nature. In reality it’s making no difference what so ever for the earth’s temperature.

The car companies are making these cars because it makes them feel good, it makes the company look like it cares about the planet, it’s good public relations.

It’s a good thing only a small fraction of the cars on the road are electric. As we know the electric infrastructure could not handle if there was any measurable quantity of electric vehicles in use for daily commuting, never mind anyone who uses a vehicle for actual work.

And as I say, where would we get the electricity to charge all these vehicles? Please don’t say solar and wind, these will never work until we can store the energy. As we know, we are far from that.

Nuclear power is the answer to stop global warning, and today we can build and run totally safe nuclear plants, but for some reason, folks don’t understand that.

Back to the vehicles. If I were to have a vehicle that was not a gasoline vehicle, my choice would be a plug in hybrid. I am not sure if they still make them? I presume they are not “green enough”. The thing I liked about the hybrid, was that it was of course hybrid, it used the electric to start moving from a stopped position, the times the gasoline engine was the least efficient. The hybrid also kicked in the gasoline engine when you are cruising where gasoline is most efficient. And usually in a hybrid, your breaking charges the batteries too and having the option to also plug in, gives you just that, the option to plug in.

GimpYancIent

There is one other non-fossil fuel out there that is not new technology proven both safe, viable and not expensive. Diesel engines converted to run on (hold on to your pants) vegetable oil. Mercedes is the master at such engineering on a large scale but some U.S. farmers have actually run farm diesel vehicles on vegetable oil (home processed in limited quantities for themselves) but done none the less. I ask you what would be offensive about the smell of McDonalds French Fries emanating from the exhaust of vehicles? Lastly there is ethanol, Indy race cars utilize pure ethanol, the issue is pure ethanol gives terrible gas mileage. Electric, simply put, Bah!

Basil of Baker Street

There is one other non-fossil fuel out there that is not new technology proven both safe, viable and not expensive. Diesel engines converted to run on (hold on to your pants) vegetable oil. Mercedes is the master at such engineering on a large scale but some U.S. farmers have actually run farm diesel vehicles on vegetable oil (home processed in limited quantities for themselves) but done none the less. I ask you what would be offensive about the smell of McDonalds French Fries emanating from the exhaust of vehicles? Lastly there is ethanol, Indy race cars utilize pure ethanol, the issue is pure ethanol gives terrible gas mileage. Electric, simply put, Bah!
I have a diesel and I have looked into the vegetable oil thing. Its pretty cool and not very expensive to implement. And its a win for the restaurants that have to pay to have the oil hauled off. Problem for me is I've only seen his done on models older that say 08 before all the def systems were mandated.

Disstevefan1

I am totally on board with the use of waste cooking oil for fuel but how does that play with the “global warning stop burning oil or the world is going to end in 12 years” folks? Oh wait that was said about 2 years ago? I mean the “global warming stop burning oil or the world is going to end in 10 years” folks?

PS. I love the smell of McDonalds French fries! Mmmmmmmmm.

DisneyCane

Agreed! Would be a neat experience for people to actually drive an EV and a great selling op for GM. Big missed opportunity.
When they do those test drive/ride along things at auto shows, the throughput is very low. A very low percentage of people on a given day at Epcot would have a chance to experience it.

DisneyCane

The Bolt just needs more range, that's GM's fault, not EVs. I have a Tesla Model Y LR AWD, that we recently drove from NY to New Hampshire (300+ miles w/ elevation changes). One stop, for 15 minutes (barely long enough to use the bathroom)..cost $10...to make it to our destination. With proper charging infrastructure and range, EVs offer a great experience for trips.

Gas cars wouldn't be very useful w/o millions of gas stations.
The convenience of an electric car on a road trip depends greatly on how many miles you want to drive in a day. For 300 +/- miles, it's fine. If you want to do a cross country trip you will spend A LOT more time charging than you would filling a gas powered vehicle. Unless you have rapid chargers co-located with the restaurant that you want to take you meal breaks at, it will be very inconvenient.

As for the Bolt needing more range, I assume the limitation is to try and keep the cost down by having fewer batteries in the vehicle. As a daily driver/commuting vehicle, the range is more than enough to just be able to charge at home overnight.

Disstevefan1

If you are serious about wanting to stop global warming and save the planet stop the ridiculous human population growth.
Or simply use modern, safe, clean nuclear power.

Humans should be allowed to procreate as a global human right.

PS. Don’t worry, Global warming or not, the planet is not going anywhere. The earth will exist well past humanity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom