Connection between Dreamflight & Space Mountain?

91JLovesDisney

Original Poster
Hello! Just watching Marni's Dreamflight tribute, and I noticed something that looked familiar. This cone-shaped building, featured in the middle of the screen:

Looks a lot like the cone-shaped building in this painting at the exit of Space Mountain... anyone know if there's any connection? The reason I ask is just that's a pretty uniquely shaped building, and it's basically identical!
walt-disney-world-magic-kingdom-tomorrowland-space-mountain-exit-ramp-19.jpg

91JLovesDisney

Original Poster
My guess is they reused a pre existing backdrop. Still, I find it pretty cool that parts of attractions can live on even after the attraction itself goes away.
If these props could talk...
But just to be clear, this painting is original to Space Mountain, right?

91JLovesDisney

Original Poster
Actually, wasn't this painting added to SM in 1984 or 85? Dreamflight opened in 89, so I guess not! My bad, wasn't even thinking.

LastoneOn

These are pretty common shapes for the futurism genre, they go way back to the earliest art, futuristic concepts. That kind of fantasy where building won't be boxy and instead will have all kinds of organic shapes and stuff like that.

The Empress Lilly

0e246977b8c661839990aa9acab4f604.jpg

I always assumed the SM painting drew inspiration from the Horizons city background painting.

Dreamflight feels a bit more unconnected, mostly just drawing from the same well of tradition, the digital art technology of its day then deciding the aesthetics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom