News NOAA forecasts 'extremely active' hurricane season for the remainder of 2020

eliza61nyc

It’s unbelievable how everything, WDW.. news..scientists..few other hundred I’m forgetting right now, is either fear mongering or fake. It’s no wonder we can’t have a group of 5 people agreeing 2+2=4. Sooner or later we are going to have to believe the people that know a little bit more about something then we do and go with it.
Lol when pigs fly..
Oh wait that's a media invention....

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Well, the situation wouldn't appear quite as dire if the NHC would quit naming every cluster of thunderstorms they see in the Caribbean.

Must be budget justification time for NOAA.

Sorcerer Mickey

Like @DisneyCane said, the "active/extremely active" prediction is almost tradition. But that doesn't mean there aren't hurricanes. They just might not make landfall in Florida - or anywhere else.

EDIT: I think it was last year or the year before where a lot of hurricanes meandered in the Pacific, for example.

JD2000

So... how many are predicted or should be expected, in the remaining season, to affect the parks, with at least tropical storm winds?

DisneyCane

So... how many are predicted or should be expected, in the remaining season, to affect the parks, with at least tropical storm winds?
Even the most advanced model interpreted by the best expert couldn't predict to that level of precision. They can barely predict the day before precisely where will experience various wind speeds.

Last edited:

sndral

Here’s another article about the ‘prediction’ for 2020. It is predicting more activity than they thought back in May.
I don’t know squat about Atlantic/tropical weather, but from reading the various weather forums I glean that if wind shear is low and ocean temps are high then you have the ingredients to make a lot of Atlantic/tropical storms/hurricanes. I have the ingredients to make a lot of dinners in my kitchen, doesn’t mean I will, just that I’m more likely to do so if I have the supplies I need at hand. Same thing w/ hurricanes, I think, the ’supply’ (warm water, low wind shear, & other factors their models use) is there, but who knows if Mother Nature will use those ingredients to cook up more named storms.
Whether those storms materialize and where they go is anybody’s guess, and unless they make landfall somewhere no one really cares except cruisers who’s ships have to change paths & itineraries to avoid the fish storms, but nobody is cruising these days, so there’s that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom