Disney's Magical Express will discontinue luggage delivery service

MikeyK72

This thread kind of has me curious on how many people use DME because of the luggage vs having a free ride. I always thought it was the free trip, but is the luggage really the big appeal for a lot of people?

For my wife and I, definitely the luggage service is the appeal. As mentioned previously, we usually bring golf clubs to Disney and the DME along with resort airline check-in make that super easy.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
This thread kind of has me curious on how many people use DME because of the luggage vs having a free ride. I always thought it was the free trip, but is the luggage really the big appeal for a lot of people?
As international guests we usually just bring our luggage with us on the coach when we fly direct into MCO. We have used the luggage delivery when we flew via Newark but it isn’t why we use DME.

For us, we don’t like hiring a car at the airport because of the jet lag and general tiredness (it’s usually at least 15 hours from leaving the house to getting through immigration). But the vacation starts with settling into a DME seat and the video starting. No matter how tired I am, that makes me smile and I start getting butterflies with the excitement. 😊

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

Thanks for the info @nickys ! I think it the luggage service will be back.

First, the ride isn't "Free," they say it's complimentary, but let's be honest, it's built into the costs of rooms on property. As for free luggage service, that's a huge benefit. Since so many of WDW visitors have young children, it's one less things for parents to worry about, getting to bag claim, and maneuvering luggage to a car or the bus. It's a livesaver for many people.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

I know that for many that are traveling with small children in strollers with diaper bags etc, having someone else take care of the luggage is a huge benefit.

(oops - just noticed the poster before me said the same thing LOL)

Upvote 0

wendysue

Yep, luggage service is a huge deal for us, having some rather nasty arthritis. We also now know that the bus service to the airport that we usually use won't be running, and I won't drive into Chicago for ANY reason. :).

Upvote 0

carriebeth

Luggage service is amazing. With 8 kids and 14 day trips we have tons of huge suitcases. We would have to rent a large van which is usually over $1000 per week anyways plus it is really difficult to fit everyone in and the luggage in even in a van. We have a 12 passenger van at home but take out 2 seats to fit luggage on the way to the airport. So DME saves us lots of money and hassle.

Upvote 0

wendysue

I canceled our August trip today. Really went back and forth on doing it, but with the rising cases and nothing quite the same in the parks, I knew I had to. When they discontinued luggage service...it was just the last straw for us. To all who continue with their trips, I hope you have a magical time. :)

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

I am fine with this. They did not even offer DME at the time when our kids were little. I braved solo trips with 2 toddlers having to get my own bags and deal with arranging transportation. So this is really a non-issue for me. I am just happy that I don't have to pay for transportation any more. The last few trips I got my luggage and brought it with me on the bus anyway. I usually get there later in the afternoon and I like getting into my room, unpacking, and settling in before I head out for the evening. It makes it easier when I come back later in the night to have my room set up and ready. I can't imagine this being any kind of a "deal breaker" for a trip to WDW. It's my happy place and going there, even with the restrictions now, is still better then sitting at home. It's been a emotionally eventful year for me, so I need my Disney fix as soon as I can get it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom