Disney's Magical Express will discontinue luggage delivery service

M:SpilotISTC12

Hopefully its a temporary COVID issue. If not why can't they just come out and say its done forever? I fully expect them to take the magical luggage transportation and then force you to pay for DME. Everything else that was once free is going by the wayside. They charge for bus transportation for the cruise line so why not this?

Upvote 0

MikeyK72

Hopefully its a temporary COVID issue. If not why can't they just come out and say its done forever? I fully expect them to take the magical luggage transportation and then force you to pay for DME. Everything else that was once free is going by the wayside. They charge for bus transportation for the cruise line so why not this?

One reason they may not ever charge for the bus ride is because they're helping you choose to not rent a car and thus not leave their bubble.

Upvote 0

Ben_since_1971

I believe the transport of bags from MCO-Resort and Resort-MCO as well as the Airline Check-In were contracted services and in this time of having to watch every cost have suspended the contract. Additionally, Disney does not have to have as many bellhops on duty to transport all of the bags. Yes DME is also contracted, but you only have bus drivers and minimal staff at airport. I would also suspect the cost of the bus ride is baked in to all resort reservations whether they use DME or not and given the earlier comments re keeping you in the bubble the bus ride will most likely always be complementary. Luggage service should return when demand and economics allow.

Upvote 0

MikeyK72

I understand that but why not still charge? People will still pay it. Even if its $20 a person its still cheaper than a rental car.

Of course I can only speak for myself but I'd offer that I wouldn't pay $20 for DME because for $10-$15 more I can Uber and have a direct ride rather than take the hotel tour on the DME. Honestly, the last several trips we've just taken an Uber back to MCO since our bags and clubs were checked already at the hotel. We found it worth the extra $35 to get a direct ride to MCO and have an extra hour+ at WDW.

But on the way there it's different...we want the baggage handling (mostly due to the golf clubs) so we tolerate the DME tour prior to our resort. We feel the tour is a small price to pay in exchange for not lugging suitcases and golf clubs through the airport. But if Disney wanted $20 for DME to get me to my resort, I'd just Uber.

Upvote 0

M:SpilotISTC12

Of course I can only speak for myself but I'd offer that I wouldn't pay $20 for DME because for $10-$15 more I can Uber and have a direct ride rather than take the hotel tour on the DME. Honestly, the last several trips we've just taken an Uber back to MCO since our bags and clubs were checked already at the hotel. We found it worth the extra $35 to get a direct ride to MCO and have an extra hour+ at WDW.

But on the way there it's different...we want the baggage handling (mostly due to the golf clubs) so we tolerate the DME tour prior to our resort. We feel the tour is a small price to pay in exchange for not lugging suitcases and golf clubs through the airport. But if Disney wanted $20 for DME to get me to my resort, I'd just Uber.
The way I see it is most families with children, Uber may not be an option. The Uber may not have car seats. So if Disney offers a shuttle that is a little more assuring of what type of transportation experience, they'll go with that. What you mentioned is what we usually do. We are a couple with no kids so Ubering has never been a problem. But Disney's key demographics is families with children and families that have never been before that don't know the ins and outs like we do. So if this is your first trip as a family of 4, you maybe more inclined to take DME (even if you have to pay) over an Uber that may not have the room and safety necessary.

Upvote 0

DVCakaCarlF

Honestly, I’ve waited for my luggage HOURS after my resort arrival and check in, so, to me, brining my bags on the bus is fine.

I prefer Minnie Van anyway, car seats, and our bags always went in the back of the suburban.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Honestly, I’ve waited for my luggage HOURS after my resort arrival and check in, so, to me, brining my bags on the bus is fine.

I prefer Minnie Van anyway, car seats, and our bags always went in the back of the suburban.
Minnie Vans aren’t available just now either.

Upvote 0

EdnaMode

We have figured out how to go anywhere for any length of time using a 21" roll aboard and a backpack (each.). So we don't normally check bags.

But for our next Disney visit, I had planned to avoid handling the overhead bins and just quickly plop down in our seats. But now that we'll have to deal with either the bins or with the congregating that can happen at the carousels....we're probably back to carrying on.

Although we don't normally have Disney handle our luggage logistics, I do think this is yet another degradation of the onsite benefits.

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

Is there anything confirmed that Disney has discontinued the luggage service permanently? The thread title says "Disney Discontinues luggage service," true, but it seems to me like it's more a pause. Disney really wants us to "stay in the bubble" @MikeyK72 says and carrying our luggage is a major perk. If we get our own luggage, than more of us rent cars and go outside the bubble for longer periods, and the mouse loses money.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Is there anything confirmed that Disney has discontinued the luggage service permanently? The thread title says "Disney Discontinues luggage service," true, but it seems to me like it's more a pause. Disney really wants us to "stay in the bubble" @MikeyK72 says and carrying our luggage is a major perk. If we get our own luggage, than more of us rent cars and go outside the bubble for longer periods, and the mouse loses money.
No, nothing that confirms it’s a permanent move. The wording on the Disney site is

”During the initial reopening period, some benefits may be modified or unavailable” and then goes on to the changes to DME.

Upvote 0

Shouldigo12

This thread kind of has me curious on how many people use DME because of the luggage vs having a free ride. I always thought it was the free trip, but is the luggage really the big appeal for a lot of people?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom