News Disney will be ending complimentary MagicBand distribution to Disney Resort hotel guests and moving to smart devices

NelleBelle

Seems like they are no longer printing Guest Name, etc. on the cards?
I think they're just generic cards to use in place of using your phone or a MB. Why would they go to the trouble of printing your name on it if they're not going to give it to everyone? I'm sure they're hoping for some of those to be "recycled" by being returned to the front desk, just like other room keys at other hotels (not that I'd expect guests to do that...they do make a nice souvenir). Besides, if you lost that, would you want your name on it? Unless you're thinking just first name? I personally wouldn't want any personal info on one of those cards in case I lost it.

lazyboy97o

I think they're just generic cards to use in place of using your phone or a MB. Why would they go to the trouble of printing your name on it if they're not going to give it to everyone? I'm sure they're hoping for some of those to be "recycled" by being returned to the front desk, just like other room keys at other hotels (not that I'd expect guests to do that...they do make a nice souvenir). Besides, if you lost that, would you want your name on it? Unless you're thinking just first name? I personally wouldn't want any personal info on one of those cards in case I lost it.
Prior cards have had a place to write names so that people know who‘s is who’s and it’s required at least for passholders. Adding names to the cards isn’t difficult. The printers are available in small sizes and could be done right there at the desk.

TrainsOfDisney

I still have my Beach Club one somewhere!
Nice! The only one I have is Wilderness Lodge. Such a cool memory of my first trip.
In the past they printed your name and length of stay on the front of the cards.

That may not be necessary now with mymagic+.

dreday3

Nice! The only one I have is Wilderness Lodge. Such a cool memory of my first trip.

In the past they printed your name and length of stay on the front of the cards.

That may not be necessary now with mymagic+.

And it had your room number! I can't remember the room, but it was a parking lot view where we could see Spaceship Earth, so must have been before villas were built! 3rd floor.

Okay I was just reminded the key-card we kept was from our trip In 2000.

Wow, time flies...

Last edited:

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
When I went on to MDE to look at MB options the other day they have now been removed completely, last year when I was looking at my booking I could still order a MB but had to pay for it and collect it from the hotel when I checked in (as I am in the UK) now you are taken to an FAQ saying they no longer offer them and you can buy one at your Resort Hotel or in on of the parks. I may have to invest in a smartwatch for my (hopefully) trip later in the year.

NelleBelle

When I went on to MDE to look at MB options the other day they have now been removed completely, last year when I was looking at my booking I could still order a MB but had to pay for it and collect it from the hotel when I checked in (as I am in the UK) now you are taken to an FAQ saying they no longer offer them and you can buy one at your Resort Hotel or in on of the parks. I may have to invest in a smartwatch for my (hopefully) trip later in the year.
I’m confused because they just released new bands last week. Or is it because you are from the UK? If you’re going to invest in a smart watch aside from using it for MB functions, I’d go for it, otherwise why wouldn’t you just use an old band or get a new one when there (unless like I mentioned you were getting a smart watch anyway). I do think they should give overseas visitors a coupon to get a certain amount off a new MB since it sounds like you can’t get the discounted ones at booking.

James J

In the Parks
No

Same is now happening for me, also in the UK.

JoeCamel

I have always been curious if you come over for 21 days why not pick up a cheap phone and some data that works here to use while you are here? I see this from UK visitors on a regular basis and have always wondered why not get a phone?

James J

In the Parks
No
I have always been curious if you come over for 21 days why not pick up a cheap phone and some data that works here to use while you are here? I see this from UK visitors on a regular basis and have always wondered why not get a phone?

Some phone contracts in the UK now include free data allowance whilst in the US which has been massively beneficial, especially when I'm usually over there twice a year. It's supposedly 'free within reason' but I have no idea what the cut off would be as I've never got close to it, even when we've driven all over SC with Spotify and Google Maps on the whole time.

nicb88

Same is now happening for me, also in the UK.
It is solely a feature lacking on the U.K. site. If you link your reservation to My Disney Experience then use the US site, you can preorder a magicband. This requires use of a VPN now, as they’ve removed the ability to change to the US site from the U.K.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom