Disney to start Furloughs April 19th

Getachew

If you are offered work and turn it down you can’t continue to get unemployment. At least that’s how it was explained to me. (I’m filing for unemployment in my state, may be different in Florida).

I believe it's the same everywhere. Unemployment has always been temporary, not something you can live on forever.

I believe it's the same everywhere. Unemployment has always been temporary, not something you can live on forever.
Agreed! And that is also the case in Florida - 12 weeks for state unemployment and 16 weeks of federal.

There are those that would suggest that a cast member would give up their job with more earning potential just so they could sit back and let the money roll in - only to have to go get a new job with lower seniority, potentially less benefits, possible lower pay, and no guarantee of finding a job at all. Ridiculous!

asianway

It's fun for a while but it really begins to grind on you after a while.

Just wait till July when tax day hits. I wonder how many people will not be able to pay their tax bill.
Tax on this money isn’t due until April and you have the option to have tax withheld from
Unemployment

Polkadotdress

Entry level workers in Florida make anywhere from $10-12 per hour working 30-40 hours per week. $600 per week stimulus money and approx $150-200 per week unemployment. More money earned staying at home which is unemployment on steroids.
I am hearing this from my customers from whom they are hearing this within the local business community. People are getting $4,000/mo to do nothing.

And you both say this based on...personal experience? FL resident here, who is fortunately still working. However my husband is not. He was furloughed 5 weeks ago. And despite submitting unemployment a month ago, he still hasn't received a single payment. And, we understand that the system will NOT be paying retroactively.

So, YES he's sitting around at home doing nothing. But he's getting paid exactly the same...NOTHING.

techgeek

And you both say this based on...personal experience? FL resident here, who is fortunately still working. However my husband is not. He was furloughed 5 weeks ago. And despite submitting unemployment a month ago, he still hasn't received a single payment. And, we understand that the system will NOT be paying retroactively.

So, YES he's sitting around at home doing nothing. But he's getting paid exactly the same...NOTHING.

These numbers are from yesterday, but apparently the system has come through for somewhere around 4% of applicants:

I’m right there with you in the ‘Pending’ category along with lots of other people I know. No one is living the high life collecting a massive unemployment check and sitting around lol.

Even if Florida does come through and gets us the help that congress promised, that doesn’t take away the stress and uncertainty about what happens when the clock runs out. Will your job still be there in August or September? If not will anyone be able to find another job? Will we have to relocate to do so?

Unemployment is just supposed to solve the urgent problems of ‘how do I eat and have a roof over my head’ today, so we can all devote necessary time and energy to actually contribute to the economy in the future.

Lilofan

That's very sad. Out of 850,000 applicants only 4% are getting payments as of last week. That's totally unacceptable.

bpiper

That's very sad. Out of 850,000 applicants only 4% are getting payments as of last week. That's totally unacceptable.
That's how the system works. Your employment has to be verified and the employer has to confirm that you have been laid off or furloughed. This is to prevent fraud. In the best of times, that is a process that could take several weeks. Some states have an automated method to match up employer names and their records to the person, but from practical experience, it doesn't work too well. A lot of companies are known as XYZ Corp to you the employee, but to the State, they are ABC, Inc. Best advise, when filling out the form, use the company name that appears on your W2, since that is what the state knows the company as. This will at least allow the state to contact the right company. Getting them to respond is a whole another matter. In my case after repeated attempts and 4 weeks passing in their attempts to get a response, the state finally gave in and granted it.

The good news is you will be paid from the start of being unemployed, so you will get a hefty first check, but if you don't have any savings, and have bills to pay, its a tough situation. This is why so many are hitting up food pantries.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I am hearing this from my customers from whom they are hearing this within the local business community. People are getting $4,000/mo to do nothing.

Addressed to a bunch of posts in this thread....

Most states only pay a percentage of your salary as unemployment.

When you have millions going on forced unemployment, there's going to be a sizable chunk that won't be able to make ends meet (pay the mortgage/rent) on such a reduced salary. Also, this is mandated by the government to go on for weeks and months and the chances to find a new full-time job are so greatly diminished.

That's why the Federal CARES bill (financial disaster relief bill) added a flat $600 to what the states are paying so that we don't wind up with mass homelessness in the U.S.

Florida caps its unemployment to $275/wk. So, the most any WDW employee is getting is $3,500/mo. For someone working 40 hrs/wk, that's an hourly salary of about $21/hr. So, anyone who was making less than that (e.g., all those $13/hr workers) are seeing a pay increase. While mid-management is seeing a pay decrease.

For those who are seeing a pay increase, it's not like that's something they chose to do to work the system. If it wasn't for the CARES Act, anyone who decided to live high off the hog on unemployment would only be getting half their salary up to at most $275/wk. And they'd have to show they were applying for work elsewhere. And it would be a limited amount of weeks they get unemployment. And they would have had to have been working for at least a year and a half previously.

No one's living (well) off of unemployment for months and months.

Nubs70

Yes, I say this from experience. Unemployment is fun for about the first 3 weeks, then it socks. When it was my turn, I went from $2,000/week to $362. Working with UI sucked as they were about as helpful as a 300lb diabetic counselor.

Initial payments take several weeks to kick in on a slow claims week. When 1 million file in 1 week, it is a nightmare. If a normal UI is staffed for average filings then get slammed with 100x normal filings, do you think they staffed up 100x to process claims? This is government after all.

Best advice is to cut expenses to the bone and hold on. Take any job that comes along and move to something better when it comes available.

tissandtully

That's how the system works. Your employment has to be verified and the employer has to confirm that you have been laid off or furloughed. This is to prevent fraud. In the best of times, that is a process that could take several weeks. Some states have an automated method to match up employer names and their records to the person, but from practical experience, it doesn't work too well. A lot of companies are known as XYZ Corp to you the employee, but to the State, they are ABC, Inc. Best advise, when filling out the form, use the company name that appears on your W2, since that is what the state knows the company as. This will at least allow the state to contact the right company. Getting them to respond is a whole another matter. In my case after repeated attempts and 4 weeks passing in their attempts to get a response, the state finally gave in and granted it.

The good news is you will be paid from the start of being unemployed, so you will get a hefty first check, but if you don't have any savings, and have bills to pay, its a tough situation. This is why so many are hitting up food pantries.
At the rate FL is going now, some claims may take 900 days to pay out.

Darkprime

Here's something I hadn't considered. Could this effect the severance payments some Fox alumni were getting? I believe some were promised severance pay from anywhere between 1-2 years. Id assume not? But what if Disney becomes financially unable to provide those payments?

TrojanUSC

Here's something I hadn't considered. Could this effect the severance payments some Fox alumni were getting? I believe some were promised severance pay from anywhere between 1-2 years. Id assume not? But what if Disney becomes financially unable to provide those payments?

No, they will still be getting paid per the terms of their separation agreement. I'd have to look back but most sub-SVP level employees (aka those not under contract) got 1 month for every year they were with fox. A lot of them have been paid out already.

seascape

That is how Elected Republicans made the system work. If they allowed the system to work it wouldn't support the idea that Government is the issue.

Why so many people still elect people who's entire life has been to tell you that Government Sucks is beyond me.
That statement is very political and doesn't belong on this thread. However, since you love big government so much I hope you enjoy paying more in taxes and getting mych less since we now have billions more in debt than total assets all of us Americans own publicly and privately.

ZoneOfTheEnder

What are your thoughts on Disney executive bonuses being paid out from the billions of dollars bailout?
It sounds like retaining Health benefits during furlough is great but what about the bonuses while some Cast Members are going from $2,000 a week to $362 a week UI?

Lilofan

What are your thoughts on Disney executive bonuses being paid out from the billions of dollars bailout?
It sounds like retaining Health benefits during furlough is great but what about the bonuses while some Cast Members are going from $2,000 a week to $362 a week UI?
All of it depends on the executive compensation contract the exec signs prior to accepting the job. Are bonuses guaranteed or not would probably be in the contract.

Lilofan

I read something disturbing is that some that are laid off are skipping car repairs, doctor visits, and cancelling auto insurance. It's tough times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom