News 'Star Wars A Galaxy Far, Far Away' stage show and some meet and greets to end alongside entertainment shift to Galaxy's Edge?

BromBones

What are you even talking about? You’ve made a complete straw man argument. I was neither defending GE nor proclaiming its brilliance. I was responding to a post that stated there were no characters in the land. I refuted that, nothing more. I realize it’s essential for you and a couple of others to create your own narrative regardless of the topic or post.

No, It's not a Straw Man argument.
I responded to your response to this comment "Have you been there? Because everything in your post happens all day every day and has since the land opened."

And you concurred with his statement saying that a few characters roaming around equates to immersive.
It does not.

Nobody is "creating their own narrative" we are stating our simple opinion and displeasure that Space Adventure Land (in space) is not fully immersive, and you and others are saying that it is.

Short answer: It isn't.

BromBones

Sorry no matter how much you want it to occur, it's not going to become Starwars LARPland. You can choose to use your "datapad" to explore the symbology around, interact with the cast members using stilted fake vocabulary, enjoy the face and furry characters that wander the land or try some of the strange foods or libations they dreamt up for this land. Then again, you dont.. you are free to engage at whatever level you may but there are real operational and safety constraints.

Operational and safety constraints? From acting out skits. From CMs who are playing characters being apprehended by First Order troopers. From CMs pretending to be spies or from CMs playing residents acting out roles and interacting with each other so we can sit back and observe a distant world living all around us?

This is what I mean about lowering the bar. A few runes on a building. Some cleverly named meals (which they have to translate on the menu now), touching some data pad...when we used data pads every day in our regular life, and walking around in a generic space adventure land is not immersive. It is lazy.
And I really don't understand why so many are okay with Disney taking shortcuts on experiences now? For as much as we pay...we deserve much much better.

RobWDW1971

Operational and safety constraints? From acting out skits. From CMs who are playing characters being apprehended by First Order troopers. From CMs pretending to be spies or from CMs playing residents acting out roles and interacting with each other so we can sit back and observe a distant world living all around us?

This is what I mean about lowering the bar. A few runes on a building. Some cleverly named meals (which they have to translate on the menu now), touching some data pad...when we used data pads every day in our regular life, and walking around in a generic space adventure land is not immersive. It is lazy.
And I really don't understand why so many are okay with Disney taking shortcuts on experiences now? For as much as we pay...we deserve much much better.
Funny how all of these "operational and safety" constraints that are apparently holding back Disney from filling the land with immersive characters is somehow figured out by little old Knott's Berry Farm in their Ghost Town area or any local Renaissance Faire. Nope! Too dangerous to have people dressed as spies, Jedi, bounty hunters, and aliens in the land! Thank god they saved us from the obvious safety issues that would have doomed us all.

Reminds me of the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas - used to have aliens to interact with all day long. Man, we barely escaped with our lives back then. Thank you Disney, for protecting us.

1581288322866.png

1581288339909.png

Last edited:

Touchdown

Look at the lightsaber vs wand experience. At Uni, a person (usually a child) is chosen at random and 20-30 people get to watch the show (which is entertaining and something I usually watch once a trip.) Lightsaber building ceremonies are only for the builders and one guest (sorry mom.). There is no reason they could have worked in that “accolades” get to witness the ceremony from an elevated platform to know what they are working towards. Would have been a cheap way to add some entertainment.

celluloid

Look at the lightsaber vs wand experience. At Uni, a person (usually a child) is chosen at random and 20-30 people get to watch the show (which is entertaining and something I usually watch once a trip.) Lightsaber building ceremonies are only for the builders and one guest (sorry mom.). There is no reason they could have worked in that “accolades” get to witness the ceremony from an elevated platform to know what they are working towards. Would have been a cheap way to add some entertainment.

Even the Droid building was a step back by charging just to try a build.

BromBones

Funny how all of these "operational and safety" constraints that are apparently holding back Disney from filling the land with immersive characters is somehow figured out by little old Knott's Berry Farm in their Ghost Town area or any local Renaissance Faire. Nope! Too dangerous to have people dressed as spies, Jedi, bounty hunter, and aliens in the land! Thank god they saved us from the obvious safety issues that would have doomed us all.

Reminds me of the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas - used to have aliens to interact with all day long. Man, we barely escaped with our lives back then. Thank you Disney, for protecting us.

View attachment 447907

View attachment 447908
The "operational and safety constraints" comes down to money. Disney does not want to pay CMs as actors because they have to pay them at a higher scale.
The bottom line is that Disney is once again giving us less for more money.

RobWDW1971

The "operational and safety constraints" comes down to money. Disney does not want to pay CMs as actors because they have to pay them at a higher scale.
The bottom line is that Disney is once again giving us less for more money.
Yup. And these boards are living proof of why they know they can do it and people will keep coming. Look at these people (one would expect passionate fans to be the most demanding) defending to the death Disney being cheap and not even living up to the land features they promoted. Fascinating to watch.

Last edited:

BromBones

Yup. And these boards are living proof of why they know they can do it and people will keep coming. Look at these people (one would expect passionate fans to be the most demanding) defending to the death Disney being cheap and not even living up to the land features they promoted. Fascinating to watch.

I know. The Disney loyalists sometimes seem like a cult.
They turn a blind eye to every flaw that Disney has and gladly accept less and less while paying more and more.

RobWDW1971

I know. The Disney loyalists sometimes seem like a cult.
They turn a blind eye to every flaw that Disney has and gladly accept less and less while paying more and more.
The way they spin observable reality, if I was ever on trial for murder, I’d want them as my jury:

Prosecutor: She was found dead in his room.

Disney Defender: Could have been put there by someone else.

P: He was standing over her with the bloody knife

DD: Could have just picked it up when he walked into the room.

P: He was heard saying “I’m glad I finally killed her!”

DD: Could have been a ventriloquist in the next room pretending to be him.

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

I know this is a big shot, but could it be a parade? I could have sworn there were parade rumors a few years ago for DHS, and I think this structure would block where it would occur. Any insight?

Timmay

No, It's not a Straw Man argument.
I responded to your response to this comment "Have you been there? Because everything in your post happens all day every day and has since the land opened."

And you concurred with his statement saying that a few characters roaming around equates to immersive.
It does not.

Nobody is "creating their own narrative" we are stating our simple opinion and displeasure that Space Adventure Land (in space) is not fully immersive, and you and others are saying that it is.

Short answer: It isn't.
Again, you clearly didn’t read what I posted, just looked and the post I responded to and not the post he was responding to. I’ve explained it once and that’s plenty.

I’m obviously not saying GE is the greatest thing ever. It’s lacking some but is still fun. Another post of mine said Star Trek The Experience did it better than GE. For some reason, saying something positive about GE is seen as being a loyalist and apologist for Disney in general. The two can be mutually exclusive of course.

BromBones

Again, you clearly didn’t read what I posted, just looked and the post I responded to and not the post he was responding to. I’ve explained it once and that’s plenty.

I’m obviously not saying GE is the greatest thing ever. It’s lacking some but is still fun. Another post of mine said Star Trek The Experience did it better than GE. For some reason, saying something positive about GE is seen as being a loyalist and apologist for Disney in general. The two can be mutually exclusive of course.
I'm not calling you out to be a loyalist....though many others on this site are.
And it looks like you and I agree that Space Adventure Land (in space) can be better.
I just don't like how Disney oversold it the same way they oversold Pandora.
It could be and should be much better. We as fans deserve much more for the money we pay.

Raphdude

So beautifully and succinctly put.

How people on these boards twist themselves into pretzels rationalizing that a couple random characters somehow even begins to create an immersive Star Wars world over a 14 acre land has been nothing short of hysterical to witness.

I was in WDW a couple of weeks ago with some friends that aren't huge Disney people and are casual fans of Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter, etc. and hadn't been to the parks in years. With no pre-commentary, we did Universal Hogsmeade/Diagon Alley and then went the next day to do SWGE. Afterwards, I asked them which areas felt more alive, lived in, and "immersive" and they just laughed and said Harry Potter, of course, as if the comparison was ridiculous on its face.

I then told them that the Imagineers who did SWGE after the Harry Potter lands were open are now talking about how they created groundbreaking "immersive" lands - the look on their face was priceless.

Agreed. There was more Star Wars immersion during Star Wars Weekends. I LOVED those funny stormtroopers before each Stars of the Saga show. They need to bring Star Wars Weekends to Galaxy's Edge full time, and add Darth Vader and Boba/Jango Fett and more OT characters!!
Stop cutting entertainment, Cheapy Chappy!!!!!

TrainsOfDisney

Agreed. There was more Star Wars immersion during Star Wars Weekends. I LOVED those funny stormtroopers before each Stars of the Saga show. They need to bring Star Wars Weekends to Galaxy's Edge full time, and add Darth Vader and Boba/Jango Fett and more OT characters!!
Stop cutting entertainment, Cheapy Chappy!!!!!

I hadn’t even thought about that... yeah Star Wars weekends they had constant entertainment on the main stage. It wasn’t always a big budget show but something was happening. And then of course each night they had a finale show with the real Star Wars fireworks, not a projection show with limited pyro.

And honestly... I remember waiting in line to get into the “darth mall” and being excited... and it was a temporary gift shop. For that matter.... good grief the backlot turned Star Wars counter service had characters roaming for photos!

Darth Snips

Well, “A Galaxy Far Far Away” has its final performance today. Not gonna lie, I’m really gonna miss that show. Yeah it was a simple production, but it was always surprisingly emotional for me to see that “best of” reel of moments, characters, and lines from across the Saga.

I remember seeing it for the first time back in 2016 shortly after TFA came out; I think I’ve attached a lot of my feelings and memories of this new era of Star Wars to this show. Still, I know it’s time to end. And hopefully, this will lead to something better. As Yoda said:
1582431021919.jpeg

On that note, is there any update on where this budget is going? Do we still think a new show is coming to GE?

TrainsOfDisney

On that note, is there any update on where this budget is going? Do we still think a new show is coming to GE?

My guess is it’s going to keep the entertainment that didn’t get cut from the budget. If they are cutting mike and Sulley down to just mike you know they are getting tight with the cash!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom