News The Pirates League at Magic Kingdom to close this summer

Tavernacle12

Doesn’t the Pirate game in Adventure Land utilise a bit of this space for one of the missions? They’d presumably have to adjust that somehow.

Unless that game is gone and I just never saw the announcement. It was a fun way to explore on a long trip.

Disney Maddux

Bout time Redd got herself a permanent M&G spot!!!
Doesn’t the Pirate game in Adventure Land utilise a bit of this space for one of the missions? They’d presumably have to adjust that somehow.

Unless that game is gone and I just never saw the announcement. It was a fun way to explore on a long trip.
Nah, it's still there. I tried it out for the first time recently and actually really liked it.

matt9112

A pirate bar sounds cool on paper, but it would no doubt become a second home for the AP/Blogger/Lifestyler crowd who would make it very difficult to get a table/seat much like Trader Sam.

I also think if it turned back into a retail space it would just be another place to buy the same stuff they sell everywhere else, unless it was like Memento Mori and it really had something special.

Maybe they should have bars everywhere that way all of US cant possibly crowd you out? But we sure can try!
Jokes aside i loved the concept of a real style walk up bar they did with baseline and i wish that expanded across property.

SeaCastle

House of Treasure. Fancy store:

"The House of Treasure
Opened: 1973
Closed: 2001
Became: The Pirates League

Originally, if you wanted to buy Pirates of the Caribbean stuff, you had to go into the House of Treasure. This high ceilinged, atmospheric shop had three entrances: the high traffic one from the Plaza Del Sol Caribe, one facing north that spit out by the Caribbean Plaza pay phones and a shaded porch, and a rear exit that flowed into the secluded courtyard alongside the Pirates of the Caribbean queue, with the Fuente de Cielo azul.

When it was in operation, this was probably my favorite shop in Magic Kingdom. With walls lined with Spanish royal flags and decorative shelves stocked with pirate treasure, it reminded me of being inside the treasury room that appeared at the end of the attraction.

House of Treasure was shuttered following the 2001 recession, and by 2003 its main entrance has ominously become home to a dressing room, sealing off the rest of the area. It never returned. In 2009, the space become the pirate-themed version of Fantasyland's popular Princess makeover experience, The Bippity Boppity Boutique."

This blueprint gives a good idea of locations/sizes:

#23 is both the House of Treasure and Laffite's Portrait Deck. House of Treasure is the bigger one. Laffite's Portrait Deck is the fake windows on your way to the Pirates restrooms. It's a small space but could make sense as a small bar or expanded retail (its original purpose).

MrPromey

Nah, it's still there. I tried it out for the first time recently and actually really liked it.

It always amazes me how many people on this forum seem unaware of this. It's one of our favorite things to do in Aventure Land - especially on a crowded day when lines for attractions are out of control in the park. I wish they could find a way to incorporate something similar into the other lands. I know we've got Wizards but anyone who's done both knows this is miles better. :)

Last edited:

tribbleorlfl

House of Treasure. Fancy store:

"The House of Treasure
Opened: 1973
Closed: 2001
Became: The Pirates League

Originally, if you wanted to buy Pirates of the Caribbean stuff, you had to go into the House of Treasure. This high ceilinged, atmospheric shop had three entrances: the high traffic one from the Plaza Del Sol Caribe, one facing north that spit out by the Caribbean Plaza pay phones and a shaded porch, and a rear exit that flowed into the secluded courtyard alongside the Pirates of the Caribbean queue, with the Fuente de Cielo azul.

When it was in operation, this was probably my favorite shop in Magic Kingdom. With walls lined with Spanish royal flags and decorative shelves stocked with pirate treasure, it reminded me of being inside the treasury room that appeared at the end of the attraction.

House of Treasure was shuttered following the 2001 recession, and by 2003 its main entrance has ominously become home to a dressing room, sealing off the rest of the area. It never returned. In 2009, the space become the pirate-themed version of Fantasyland's popular Princess makeover experience, The Bippity Boppity Boutique."

Woh, thanks for posting that! I had very clear memories of a Pirate gift shop with flags hanging from the ceiling from when I was a kid, and had started to wonder if I with dreamed it up or it was from somewhere else.

tirian

It always amazes me how many people on this forum seem unaware of this. It's one of our favorite things to do in Aventure Land - especially on a crowded day when lines for attractions are out of control in the park. I wish they could find a way to incorporate something similar into the other lands. I know we've got Wizards but anyone who's done both knows this is miles better. :)
Quoted for truth. The Adventureland game is really well done.

Jon81uk

Why should they be when doing that will only encourage people to visit non-Disney parks instead of spending time in Disney's?

I don't think its a huge issue if fewer people visit Magic Kingdom! Have you seen how busy the park is ;-)

If those guests can't go a day without an alcoholic drink then maybe it isn't the right place to visit for that person in general.

ImperfectPixie

I don't think its a huge issue if fewer people visit Magic Kingdom! Have you seen how busy the park is ;-)

If those guests can't go a day without an alcoholic drink then maybe it isn't the right place to visit for that person in general.
It's not that they can't go a day...it's that many feel they shouldn't have to. I'm not a huge drinker, but when we were at Canobie Lake Park's new water park area this past summer I got an adult beverage. You can bet your butt that I was super ed that I couldn't leave that area with it to spend money at a different food location within the same park. My choices were: drink it way too fast and suffer the consequences, or throw it out.

ETA: Are you talking all the parks or just MK? Because you mentioned Galaxy's Edge in your first comment.

Hank Hill

Disney is a business. They have to sell booze on every corner otherwise they’re not exercising their fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders.
$12-$18 for waterdowned drinks is pretty fudiciarily responsible to the shareholders.... to the guests, not so much. Drink prices are extremely obnoxious at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom