News World Showcase torches refurbishment begins today

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Happy that my source from last year was actually correct!!View attachment 442859

Yeah... we've heard this before... just how are they used for the marathon that general lighting couldn't take care of? (Not that by themselves they would provide sufficient lighting for a run 'in the dark.')

The marathon does not stop along the lagoon nor have any ceremonies along the lagoon.

Rteetz

Yeah... we've heard this before... just how are they used for the marathon that general lighting couldn't take care of? (Not that by themselves they would provide sufficient lighting for a run 'in the dark.')

The marathon does not stop along the lagoon nor have any ceremonies along the lagoon.
Does run around the lagoon for most of the races though. Definitely not the only lighting source used though either. For the dark races the countries are typically lit and extra lighting is brought in near photo areas.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Does run around the lagoon for most of the races though. Definitely not the only lighting source used though either. For the dark races the countries are typically lit and extra lighting is brought in near photo areas.

I've seen videos of that leg of the races. Torches have no impacting roll.

...it's a yungle

Meet me at the Chip n Dale torch - Nah, nah, let's watch it from the Chernabog torch! :)

For you non-midwesterners - King's Island in Ohio had a long time Hanna-Barbera land which included naming the parking lot rows after popular characters, leading to the common joke "Remember we're parked in Bam-Bam 7!"

Oh yeah, back when shrooms were everywhere...
”After Enchanted Voyage, let’s meet at truck for lunch, Dino 2”
And @Clamman73, don’t give them ideas!😆
A51BBDBE-4D6E-44A7-B53F-0F58FA68C41B.jpeg

Father Robinson

I didn't say it, I just repeated it. Also, who says they are used only for lighting? Could very well be for symbolic purposes. I don't work there, but this guy does and regardless of why they're staying, the fact is they are.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I didn't say it, I just repeated it. Also, who says they are used only for lighting? Could very well be for symbolic purposes. I don't work there, but this guy does and regardless of why they're staying, the fact is they are.

Yes, the torches are lit for the marathon. It's a nice gesture.

However, back when the scoop was that the torches may go, people would say that they are *needed* for the marathon and that's why they will (or should) stay. And it is that claim that doesn't pass the logic test since the torches don't provide that much light, and WDW wouldn't invest the money need to refurbish them just for an event that only happens a few times a year.

Texas84

However, back when the scoop was that the torches may go, people would say that they are *needed* for the marathon and that's why they will (or should) stay. And it is that claim that doesn't pass the logic test since the torches don't provide that much light, and WDW wouldn't invest the money need to refurbish them just for an event that only happens a few times a year.
They don't provide that much light but if you're running they do get you fired up. Yeah, saying they are 'needed' is silly.

EvilChameleon

So, aside from this inane conversation about whether they were used for the marathons, any noticeable construction happening on these yet?

Prototype82

So we technically have lost our 21st century torch with the loss of the globe. I wonder if the Roman Numerals will be entirely elimated from them in the refurb. They are symbolic of the first 20 centuries after all.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
So we technically have lost our 21st century torch with the loss of the globe. I wonder if the Roman Numerals will be entirely elimated from them in the refurb. They are symbolic of the first 20 centuries after all.

Wait, are you saying there were 20 torches to represent we were in the 20th century?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I botched this one. But I thought the Unity torch was the 21st century.

How would that have worked when it was running in the 20th century?

I think it just represents unity.

Although I've joked that since we watch the creation of everything from the Big Bang and the formation of the earth and then humanity, the final opening of the earth in fire represents how it will be eventually engulfed by our sun when it becomes a red giant. ;)

hpyhnt 1000

I botched this one. But I thought the Unity torch was the 21st century.

There were/are 19 torches ringing the lagoon, each one representating one century that has passed (so years 0-1899). The finale of RoE with the Earth Globe opening to reveal a torch was symbolic recognition of us moving out of the 20th century. A new torch is needed to represent the passing of years 1900-1999, and thus one rises from the heart of the Earth Globe to take its place among the others around the lagoon.

The “thousand points of light” pyro and final volley of fireworks at the end of the show were meant to represent us accelerating and moving into the 21st century.

So much meaning and symbolism packed into about 45 seconds of show time. Yet another example why RoE will always be the best nighttime fireworks show Disney ever created.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
There were/are 19 torches ringing the lagoon, each one representating one century that has passed (so years 0-1899). The finale of RoE with the Earth Globe opening to reveal a torch was symbolic recognition of us moving out of the 20th century. A new torch is needed to represent the passing of years 1900-1999, and thus one rises from the heart of the Earth Globe to take its place among the others around the lagoon.

The “thousand points of light” pyro and final volley of fireworks at the end of the show were meant to represent us accelerating and moving into the 21st century.

So much meaning and symbolism packed into about 45 seconds of show time. Yet another example why RoE will always be the best nighttime fireworks show Disney ever created.

So... in a show that showed the entire history of the universe and the beginnings of human life many millennia ago, they wanted to have 20 candles for Christ's centennary birthday?

Now, I'm a practicing Christian, but, I find in a show with such a sweeping view of all of history and all of human cultures, that it is rather odd and out of place that they would enshrine the Christian calendar into the very infrastructure of the show.

Father Robinson

Well what I had previously said was he said "one reason" was for the marathons. So I never claimed (because I have no info) that they were ONLY sticking around for them nor did my source. Just sounds like there's a few reasons they're staying, the marathons will just have the perk of still having them.

The Empress Lilly

So... in a show that showed the entire history of the universe and the beginnings of human life many millennia ago, they wanted to have 20 candles for Christ's centennary birthday?

Now, I'm a practicing Christian, but, I find in a show with such a sweeping view of all of history and all of human cultures, that it is rather odd and out of place that they would enshrine the Christian calendar into the very infrastructure of the show.
Do read up on EPCOT history one day. It's so fascinating! You'll come to understand the park and WDW.

Above you're reading RoE backwards. The sweeping view of all of history didn't culminate in putting 20 centennaries of Christ's birthday as centerpiece. It's the reverse.

RoE celebrated the new millennium (inevitably, by definition the Christian, Gregorian calendar). RoE was part of the millennium celebrations.

The progression from one millennium to the next then was a moment for reflection, reflection of who we were and where we came from.

Last edited:

Prototype82

You are so right and thank you for the full explanation! It's incredible how symbolic every detail was. The fiery inferno of the creation of the earth...the white lights outlining nations and civilizations being built...It all meant something. While not fireworks and not as renowned, the original Rivers of Light reminded me of RoE in every bit of its symbolism. Each float representing a different biome and a corner of the globe...Everything represented a part of ours and our Earth's shared story. Sad to see experiences like this go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom