“EPCOT”’s New Name

Animaniac93-98

Well, they can’t keep calling it EPCOT for much longer now can they? They’ll have to change it eventually if it’s to make any sense. So what will they call it? “Disney’s Magical World of Storytelling and Discovery”?

They will still call it EPCOT despite all their hypocritical jargon about the park's not being museums and needing to be "more Disney", because the name "EPCOT" (itself a Disney invention) is still recognized and valuable from a marketing standpoint.

That and significantly changing park names tends to confuse tourists.

RobWDW1971

They will still call it EPCOT despite all their hypocritical jargon about the park's not being museums and needing to be "more Disney", because the name "EPCOT" (itself a Disney invention) is still recognized and valuable from a marketing standpoint.

That and significantly changing park names tends to confuse tourists.
But I don't even know what "Epcot" even is supposed to mean anymore. It obviously isn't what the acronym stands for, it's not a futuristic community, it isn't a world's fair, etc. It would be great is someone on these boards who understands the new "direction" can explain what "Epcot" means and what the unifying principle of the park is going forward.

Animaniac93-98

But I don't even know what "Epcot" even is supposed to mean anymore. It obviously isn't what the acronym stands for, it's not a futuristic community, it isn't a world's fair, etc. It would be great is someone on these boards who understands the new "direction" can explain what "Epcot" means and what the unifying principle of the park is going forward.

Disney. That's it, that's the theme.

EPCOT just sounds better than "Disney's Other Hollywood Studios".

Animaniac93-98

They should just go back to calling it "EPCOT '94", even in 2020.

You can't top perfection.

1577753096760.png

lazyboy97o

I imagine many excited for the new direction think it is ridiculous to define the theme of a theme park.

Disney. That's it, that's the theme.

EPCOT just sounds better than "Disney's Other Hollywood Studios".
DisneyPark Florida 2?
Disney’s Neighborhoods of Adventure?
Another Park that Even Disney Fans Somehow Confuse as Being in Any Way Similar to the Magic Kingdom?

Animaniac93-98

I imagine many excited for the new direction think it is ridiculous to define the theme of a theme park.

"I don't go to theme parks for their theme. I got to spend time with my Deer Husband and our fawn and maybe get some ice cream after riding the roller coaster, stop being so judgy of others! Disney doesn't pay people to waste their time thinking about this stuff!"

DisneyPark Florida 2?
Another Park that Even Disney Fans Somehow Confuse as Being in Any Way Similar to the Magic Kingdom?

Disney Universal Studios Florida

I still think that sums up the philosophy best and why they're taking the approach they are.

RobWDW1971

DisneyPark Florida 2?
I would respect them more if they just came out and said, “Our belief is that tourists no longer care about comprehensive, coherent themes and instead just want to experience fun attractions based on our enormous catalog of Disney and affiliated brands and characters.”

Then we can all move on with our lives and just enjoy the fun attractions and no longer have to listen to WDI execs try to rationalize absurd nonexistent thematic connections.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom