News PHOTOS - Jack Kirby's Cosmic Series opens in updated Walt Disney Presents at Disney's Hollywood Studios

wdwhoneymooner

Jack King Kirby is such a legend in the comic book industry and I’m glad he still receives the recognition he richly deserves. Stan Lee may have been the driving creative force for Marvel Comics but it was Kirby’s artistic ability to draw Lee’s ideas and put them in print that helped create sales. Kirby also had a lot of input during brainstorming sessions. It was reported by Lee himself that he and Kirby used to get into it at times.

truecoat

His two page spreads for comics he wrote and drew were always incredible. These usually appeared on pages 2 and 3 of the comic. Here's one from an Eternals comic and if they can capture some of his drawing style in the movie, it would be awesome.

eternals3_2-3.jpg

Magenta Panther

The idea that Jack Kirby is now a Disney legend is...weird, just because to me, he is Marvel (and comics in general).

Also funny how they had to edit out "Marvel Comics Group" out of all those Eternals covers. Ah, the wild and wooly world of corporate America!

Well, Jim Henson was made a Disney Legend despite contributing exactly zip to the company. Apparently the only criteria now to be made a DL is to get bought out. Wowza!

nokahoma

Jack Kirby wasn't just an artist who worked with Stan Lee. He plotted or co-plotted pretty much all the comics they made together throughout the '60s, and is more responsible for the creation of characters like Black Panther, the Silver Surfer, Galactus and the Inhumans than Lee is. Lee was a great spokesman and ambassador, but Kirby was the beating heart of Marvel during its first decade, and deserves the lion's share of the credit for creating that universe.

I agree he's not Disney, even if Disney now owns his work, but he's one of the few American creators whose vision and imagination can match Walt's, so I don't have a problem with the parks celebrating him. And a theme park styled after Kirby's distinctive artwork would be my idea of Heaven on Earth.

Princess Leia

Well, Steve, it's official. There are already so many people on the site that the "This site took too long to respond" pop up happened twice before this story loaded. Going to be a long weekend ;) @wdwmagic

Magenta Panther

Let me know when Homer Simpson or Matt Groening or an Inanimate Carbon Rod become a Disney Legend.......Just watch....It'll happen..

That Trump cartoon the other day was the most cringey thing I have ever seen. I wonder if Matt Groening is trying to distract from the fact that it's on record that he flew in Jeff Epstein's jet and got a foot massage from a 16 year old?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, Steve, it's official. There are already so many people on the site that the "This site took too long to respond" pop up happened twice before this story loaded. Going to be a long weekend ;) @wdwmagic
Was that on the main site or the forum? Roughly what time? Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom