News College Football Season kicks off with the College GameDay Crew live from Magic Kingdom

JusticeDisney

You might ask, was there "originally" a game scheduled in Orlando this weekend? Let me answer, no. Coincidentally around when Disney announced Galaxy's Edge Orlando opening was moving up to Labor Day, the Gator-Cane game got moved a weekend earlier to "week 0".

It was done to have a marquee matchup all by itself to kick off college football’s 150th season. The NCAA had to give special approval for it to happen, and the NCAA doesn’t give two craps about SWGE.

DAR1974

Disney sports?

zElIrc.gif

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It was done to have a marquee matchup all by itself to kick off college football’s 150th season. The NCAA had to give special approval for it to happen, and the NCAA doesn’t give two craps about SWGE.
Lol...

Have any clue how much Disney pays the ncaa for those broadcast rights?

It’s like asking Vito corleone for “an accommodation”

JusticeDisney

No...seriously...do you understand how broadcast rights work and what the leagues will do for a few dozen billions?
I understand completely. And I hear what you’re saying and you make a great point. That said, I don’t happen to believe that in this particular instance Disney really cared too much about the date of the game. Indeed, if they did, I think it would have benefitted them more to leave it on 8/31.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I understand completely. And I hear what you’re saying and you make a great point. That said, I don’t happen to believe that in this particular instance Disney really cared too much about the date of the game. Indeed, if they did, I think it would have benefitted them more to leave it on 8/31.
I don’t subscribe to the theory either... if it isn’t the craziest either though.

The point is if Disney wanted a marque matchup at the citrus bowel on a certain date ...it would take a 10 second call to the National Corporate A-Hole Association to get it done.

There is an advantage to Disney: they draw the out of state alumni down now, get them to stay through the week, and then they get back before the start of school in the northeast and Midwest.

Not crazy

Last edited:

JusticeDisney

I don’t subscribe to the theory either... if it isn’t the craziest either though.

The point is if Disney wanted a marque matchup at the citrus bowel on a certain date ...it would a 10 second call to the National Corporate A-Hole Association to get it done.

There is an advantage to Disney: they draw the out of state alumni down now, get them to stay through the week, and then they get back before the start of school in the northeast and Midwest.

Not crazy
All fair points.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
You might ask, was there "originally" a game scheduled in Orlando this weekend? Let me answer, no. Coincidentally around when Disney announced Galaxy's Edge Orlando opening was moving up to Labor Day, the Gator-Cane game got moved a weekend earlier to "week 0".
Ah! Understood, I guess I wasn’t looking at the two happening at the same time.

It’s a win for me to college football back again and a little earlier, regardless.

JohnD

The point is if Disney wanted a marque matchup at the citrus bowel on a certain date ...it would take a 10 second call to the National Corporate A-Hole Association to get it done.

Not crazy

“Bowel” LOL! Something tells me that isn’t a typo.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Because Disney owns ESPN and it’s a few days before SW:GE opening and will be a great opportunity to promote it. But why MK instead of HS for GameDay? Because MK is the essence of Disney and everyone recognizes Cinderella Castle.
They also know the only chance they have to sell trips realistically is by selling the magic kingdom on tv to this demographic

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom