News College Football Season kicks off with the College GameDay Crew live from Magic Kingdom

World_Showcase_Lover007

3016DA50-F5EE-4468-A47A-B122FB3D04EA.jpeg

doctornick

Gameday on campuses is great, especially when it is close to the stadium where tailgaters can easily pop over. Neutral sites and random locations generally are kinda meh but there's no other interesting games that weekend since it is week zero so I get why'd do it in Orlando. I'd envision it being used more as a preview of the upcoming season than focusing on that day's games since there are so few.

And yeah advertising WDW as a side benefit makes sense for Disney.

DisneyCane

Sure, why not! Admittedly, most UCF fans are more focused right now on getting the CFP expanded and admittance into a P5 conference than celebrating what happened two seasons ago. It seems to be mainly non-UCF fans that constantly bring up our Championship claim.

I only bring it up because of the silly "National Champions" sign they put up in the stadium. If it was just the little celebrations and things to bring attention after the season it wouldn't be a big deal. Making it "official" with a sign in the stadium is what is annoying.

Miami didn't declare ourselves National Champions in 2000 when the BCS formula sent FSU (who we beat) to play Oklahoma for the championship while Miami beat #7 Florida 37-20 in the Sugar Bowl. We complained about it and said we would have won but we didn't actually declare ourselves champions based on finding a single computer poll that had us #1.

tribbleorlfl

I only bring it up because of the silly "National Champions" sign they put up in the stadium. If it was just the little celebrations and things to bring attention after the season it wouldn't be a big deal. Making it "official" with a sign in the stadium is what is annoying.

Miami didn't declare ourselves National Champions in 2000 when the BCS formula sent FSU (who we beat) to play Oklahoma for the championship while Miami beat #7 Florida 37-20 in the Sugar Bowl. We complained about it and said we would have won but we didn't actually declare ourselves champions based on finding a single computer poll that had us #1.
UCF claiming to be national champions was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen in all of sports. And the ironic thing about them doing that was that it only served to make people take them even less seriously than they did before.
Just following a time-honored college football tradition. Hell, even Tubervile had 2004 National Championship rings made and has been lobbying Auburn to claim the title USC vacated because of Reggie Bu$h.

In all seriousness, as an UCF alumnus and long-time season ticket holder, I've never personally embraced the Natty claim (and the only piece of merch I have with it on it is the flag that was sent to me as part of my season ticket package last year). But, it's an absurd claim thumbing its nose at an absurd system that has no interest in an actual real playoff. The polls and CFP committee consistently underranked us throughout the season, and then did it again last year. If the powers-that-be are dead set in protecting the gravy train for those at the top at the expense of everyone else, I have no trouble with UCF going troll mode and be a chaos agent to bring change to CFB.

DisneyCane

No question they are. But national champions? Not even close. I can probably name 10 teams (at least) who would have been undefeated against their schedule.
Exactly. They were/are a very good team. Definitely at least top 15 the past two years. However, using being undefeated to argue that they should be in a 4 team playoff is taking it too far. I'd bet that half of the top 25 would go undefeated against UCF's schedule.

They could prove they deserve the playoffs by doing things like taking Florida up on their offer of 2 games in Gainesville and 1 in Orlando and then beating Florida (assuming Florida is a top 20 team).

If the playoffs was 8 teams then, sure, UCF deserved a shot. However, an 8 team playoff is a pipe dream right now.

winstongator

I didn’t know college football was this weekend when this thread started. It all makes sense now.
You might ask, was there "originally" a game scheduled in Orlando this weekend? Let me answer, no. Coincidentally around when Disney announced Galaxy's Edge Orlando opening was moving up to Labor Day, the Gator-Cane game got moved a weekend earlier to "week 0".

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You might ask, was there "originally" a game scheduled in Orlando this weekend? Let me answer, no. Coincidentally around when Disney announced Galaxy's Edge Orlando opening was moving up to Labor Day, the Gator-Cane game got moved a weekend earlier to "week 0".
Funny how that works, huh?

Something that gravitates millions of football crazed locals in to southwest Orlando?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom