Walt Disney World Resort hotels now charging handling fees for in-room deliveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

John park hopper

Remember with a rental car and staying on property you will be charged for parking you can recoup some of that new fee if you opt out of housekeeping I saw it posted you will get a $10.00 a day gift card. For us it makes sense we spend most of the time in the parks so the room really doesn't need to be cleaned. my neatnic wife makes the bed anyway.

Lensman

Why do we have two threads going on this??

Although this one is way less heated lol!
Shhh. This is the thread where we calmly discuss ways around the fee. The other thread started with vitriol so it begot vitriol.

We usually rent a car and go shopping ourselves, but this thread made me look into the new grocery delivery services that have popped up recently. Do people find that the choice there is enough for them? I don't get groceries delivered at home but I could see it being worth it just to save the time - though grocery shopping is usually what we do on our arrival day instead of directly heading into the parks.

The one good question from the other thread is whether Disney will team up with one of the delivery services to provide an official grocery delivery agent and do delivery directly to your room? I think it would be neat if you could arrive to a fully stocked fridge.

Much-Pixie-Dust

@Lensman I can’t speak for garden grocer, but I use Instacart at home from several grocers and they can bring you whatever the grocer sells. I also do Walmart pick up and love it. I use it for groceries, school supplies, and and other misc things. They just rolled out a delivery service of their own, but haven’t tried it yet. I love the idea of ordering and coming to the room with a fully stocked fridge of your favorite things. Great idea!

nickys

Premium Member
It's worth it to us. You get exactly what you want, and you don't have to pay Disney food prices. Yes, it takes some time, but we plan for it and think it's well worth it.

This ^^^^

We usually do a small order through DVC just to see us through a couple of days, until the jet lag has worn off. Then we rent a car and go to Publix. It means we can pick what we want, I like to see fruit and veg, and meat, before buying. And there’s a liquor store next door if we want gin or vodka, although we often get those tax free in the U.K. at the airport (we are there for 10-14 days lol!).

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It is worth it to us too. We also get things that we don’t normally snack on at home, so for us it’s part of the vacation experience. I love the Target on 192.

We used to do the Target at Exit 11 on 417, but in recent years we've done Publix and the WalMart that's about 10 minutes off-property on 536 (?, could be 535, I always forget), just west of Buena Vista Suites. The CVS across the street from BVS has also come in handy from time to time.

eliza61nyc

We usually use the Walmart also. I'm not a big cooker on vacation so generally on the first day we'll stop by on the way from the airport and get every thing we'll need, so when we check in every thing goes up at once. I do have favorite Disney restaurants that we always go to and a car if we want to try something off site.

Janir

I think it’s going to be both actually. Once you tack on a delivery charge, that is going to reduce the tipped amount, at best. At worst, it’s going to eliminate the tip entirely.
Sadly, you're probably right. Bell services can be very helpful at the resorts. Tipping $5 each time you drag one of them out for something isn't that bad, even on top of a $6 fee.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Sadly, you're probably right. Bell services can be very helpful at the resorts. Tipping $5 each time you drag one of them out for something isn't that bad, even on top of a $6 fee.
Sadly I am right. It’s crappy, but it’s the truth.

Much-Pixie-Dust

We used to do the Target at Exit 11 on 417, but in recent years we've done Publix and the WalMart that's about 10 minutes off-property on 536 (?, could be 535, I always forget), just west of Buena Vista Suites. The CVS across the street from BVS has also come in handy from time to time.
Next time, I am going to try Walmart pick up, so I can just swing by and pick it up.

KimAnnFran

I hope you mean "bye bye tips" because they will lose the opportunity to make grocery deliveries to the rooms and not that people will think the charge substitutes for a tip. I thought bell services was a tipped position, like valets and food and beverage servers. They make less than minimum wage because they are tipped. Not tipping because of the charge would be like refusing to tip a bartender because there is a charge for the drink.

Yes, you are right but a lot of people won't look at it that way and some may not even care. I think when on vacation, folks should expect to pay a bit more for things and remember that these service workers need jobs and have families as well.

Last edited:

John park hopper

One would think if the CMs are having to work harder delivering food to resort guests -shouldn't they get a raise to compensate for the added work. Disney places a $6.00 charge for delivery --- pockets the money and the CM's are still doing the same work load and probably for less tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom