Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

draybook

No, we are just asking why a commercial entity thinks it is OK to treat some of it's consumers as if they are unwelcome.

As usual, you're wrong. They didn't say you're not welcome. They said you and your addiction need to step on outside the gates. That's a choice you choose to make. Nothing is stopping you from enjoying the parks with non-smokers except for your lack of will power.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Survey says... BBBRRRAAAPPPP.

HIPAA applies to health data (medical history, medications, yada yada).

No - the act has “health insurance...” in the title for a reason. The law is explicitly bounded to the term “covered entities”. The law dictates privacy rules for those entities and security of how the information is stored and accessed to prevent incorrect disclosure. It applies ONLY to the covered entities. It’s purpose is simply so citizens know and have a say in how the industry shares your medical records.

Hipaa doesn’t even application to private companies except for those who have elements of medical care (see “hybrid”s) and the portion of the business that is related to providing and interfacing with health insurance.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No - the act has “health insurance...” in the title for a reason. The law is explicitly bounded to the term “covered entities”. The law dictates privacy rules for those entities and security of how the information is stored and accessed to prevent incorrect disclosure. It applies ONLY to the covered entities. It’s purpose is simply so citizens know and have a say in how the industry shares your medical records.

Hipaa doesn’t even application to private companies except for those who have elements of medical care (see “hybrid”s) and the portion of the business that is related to providing and interfacing with health insurance.

A private company that disclosed medical information without the consent of the individual will be sued and lose 100% of the time in court...no matter the technicalities of the law.

Remember legality isn’t legislative acts alone...the majority is interpretation, case law and precedent

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Hi everyone! This is my first post, I have been visiting this forum for a while and enjoy reading varied points of view.
I apologize in advance for the length of what follows.

Let me begin by saying that I am a smoker. I'm not proud of this fact, I admit that I am a flawed, imperfect human being, as we all are.

If the subject of smoking comes up, I always advice people not to start. I stay as far away as possible from non-smokers and follow the rules.

I agree wholeheartedly that this is a nasty habit but, I do not consider myself a nasty person.
I understand that times change, we are now expected to accept people's lifestyle choices, some of which may not be necessarily healthy. Empathy.

Disney may have chosen to eliminate smoking areas inside the parks, and I still don't understand the exact logic behind this change besides the "comfort" of people who weren't really affected by them in the first place.

Even though I have smoked for many years, I rarely fall ill, but find it very puzzling that I almost always get sick when I visit the parks, I guess people's very poor hygiene and bad habits affect me more. Many don't wash their hands properly if at all, sneezing and coughing all over without covering their mouth, etc. Am I the only one?

The fact is, we do not live in a santized pristine world, harmful and nasty stuff is going on near and far, whether you see it or not.
No one is forcing you to stand by my side when I light a cigarrete, I only smoke where permitted, usually very far away from you.
The few remaining smoking areas are mostly well hidden and segregated inside the parks. As it is now, non-smokers have 99% of the parks to enjoy for themselves.

Disney could do better in designating a couple of spots for smokers inside the parks, without making us smokers feel rejected, treated like Disney villains or worse, made to feel like we're the scum of the earth!

I respect and commend non-smokers, I understand your concerns. Maybe I'll quit smoking some day, maybe not!
That's going to be a choice I alone have to make, to that at least, I am still entitled.

I will be visiting WDW in a few weeks, and think that just knowing about this new rule, is going to make the urge to smoke even worse!
But do not worry, I'm not going to sneak or hide behind a bush to smoke, I will follow the rules, just like I always have.

I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hi everyone! This is my first post, I have been visiting this forum for a while and enjoy reading varied points of view.

Let me begin by saying that I am a smoker. I'm not proud of this fact, I admit that I am a flawed, imperfect human being, as we all are.

If the subject of smoking comes up, I always advice people not to start. I stay as far away as possible from non-smokers and follow the rules.

I agree wholeheartedly that this is a nasty habit but, I do not consider myself a nasty person.
I understand that times change, we are now expected to accept people's lifestyle choices, some of which may not be necessarily healthy. Empathy.

Disney may have chosen to eliminate smoking areas inside the parks, and I still don't understand the exact logic behind this change besides the "comfort" of people who weren't really affected by them in the first place.

Even though I have smoked for many years, I rarely fall ill, but find it very puzzling that I almost always get sick when I visit the parks, I guess people's very poor hygiene and bad habits affect me more. Many don't wash their hands properly if at all, sneezing and coughing all over without covering their mouth, etc. Am I the only one?

The fact is, we do not live in a santized pristine world, harmful and nasty stuff is going on near and far, whether you see it or not.
No one is forcing you to stand by my side when I light a cigarrete, I only smoke where permitted, usually very far away from you.
The few remaining smoking areas are mostly well hidden and segregated inside the parks. As it is now, non-smokers have 99% of the parks to enjoy for themselves.

Disney could do better in designating a couple of spots for smokers inside the parks, without making us smokers feel rejected, treated like Disney villains or worse, made to feel like we're the scum of the earth!

I respect and commend non-smokers, I understand your concerns. Maybe I'll quit smoking some day, maybe not!
That's going to be a choice I alone have to make, to that at least, I am still entitled.

I will be visiting WDW in a few weeks, and think that just knowing about this new rule, is going to make the urge to smoke even worse!
But do not worry, I'm not going to sneak or hide behind a bush to smoke, I will follow the rules, just like I always have.

I can appreciate your perspective.

For me...it’s not the individuals that are the concern. It’s the habit itself.

It’s a truly imposing thing. Even those as respectful as they can be...and following rules...can’t avoid with certainty “sharing” the habit with passers by.

There’s never been a solution to that.

Tanna Eros

I've been shopping around for different methods of nicotine minus the smoke, if just to hold for a few extra hours.
In this thread there's different products discussed- an inhaler, and I just got some snus today, and I'm exploring more options. I might recommend giving them a thought.
I don't wish to have to go to the front of the park and through security again just for a few puffs.
(I always get sick, too, like a common cold, etc.. and worse, I always carry around hand cleaner, so it's confounding.)

(I'm getting videos from a friend in Key Largo, inviting my husband and I down for a vacation. I might end up taking him up on it and foregoing what I thought would be dream vacation at Disney. I do like fishing.)

Lensman

Please do!

See, this is how it should be done! All the goodness of the human arguments against this new move without any blamecasting or histrionics. I actually feel more sympathy for smokers now. (Truthfully I did before because I know a fair number of smokers and my wife vapes - hate it but not her)

Maybe you could do a trip report?

Anyway, have a great time and in your honor I hope Disney creates a better smoking solution for AK - it's the one park where a single DSA by the entrance seems super-harsh.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I can appreciate your perspective.

For me...it’s not the individuals that are the concern. It’s the habit itself.

It’s a truly imposing thing. Even those as respectful as they can be...and following rules...can’t avoid with certainty “sharing” the habit with passers by.

There’s never been a solution to that.

Thank you for understanding!

The way I see it, if you're just passing by, and not staying around, the inconvenience should be minimal, specially since most smoking areas are well secluded, though I agree, there are a couple that could be better located.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Please do!

See, this is how it should be done! All the goodness of the human arguments against this new move without any blamecasting or histrionics. I actually feel more sympathy for smokers now. (Truthfully I did before because I know a fair number of smokers and my wife vapes - hate it but not her)

Maybe you could do a trip report?

Anyway, have a great time and in your honor I hope Disney creates a better smoking solution for AK - it's the one park where a single DSA by the entrance seems super-harsh.

Thank you!

Maybe a trip report could distract me from lighting up as often! ;)

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I've been shopping around for different methods of nicotine minus the smoke, if just to hold for a few extra hours.
In this thread there's different products discussed- an inhaler, and I just got some snus today, and I'm exploring more options. I might recommend giving them a thought.
I don't wish to have to go to the front of the park and through security again just for a few puffs.
(I always get sick, too, like a common cold, etc.. and worse, I always carry around hand cleaner, so it's confounding.)

(I'm getting videos from a friend in Key Largo, inviting my husband and I down for a vacation. I might end up taking him up on it and foregoing what I thought would be dream vacation at Disney. I do like fishing.)

Thanks for the advice, going outside the parks to smoke is going to be hard, specially at Epcot where I enjoyed a glass of wine and a cig!
But I am not ready to quit Disney yet, Its my special place!

Hope you still visit too!

Tanna Eros

Thanks for the advice, going outside the parks to smoke is going to be hard, specially at Epcot where I enjoyed a glass of wine and a cig!
But I am not ready to quit Disney yet, Its my special place!

Hope you still visit too!
I hadn't been since I was 13 years old. I have these lovely memories, but I doubt I could recreate them for my husband. Maybe it's time to make new memories.

Cesar R M

The moat is actually the sewer plant. A lot of folks don’t know that. The moat is a collection area if you will.
Hmm, so they have a brown plant visible? I suppose they treat the water with copper derivates to prevent the smell while slowly cleaning the water to use for plant/grass usage?
I got an uncle who sells these chemicals.. and the plants can be disguised as moats, lakes and even fountains.

DisneyDebRob

Welcome to the boards with a very good post! Watch out for the misinformation and the in fighting on occasion and have a great time! 🙂

DisneyDebRob

Dont they forbid smoking on most hotel premises (disney wise) already?
No. Smoking is still allowed on Disney hotel property at designated areas. In fact it even states with this ban the it will be at hotels and Disney Springs. Just the parks are becoming non smoking. For some I guess it’s time to get the pitchforks out because there still will be smoke in Disney.

kylewr86

Anyone that doesn't want to walk out of the park to get nicotine can chew gum, use patches or take the pills. Smoking is harmful to health. It has a surgeon general warning for that reason. The only reason it's still legal is because the federal government makes alot of money off the taxation of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom