News Disney testing smart speakers in guest rooms at Disney's Yacht and Beach Club

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
So let me get this straight. It's in the news this week to be careful with putting Amazon's Alexa in your bedroom because, well, you know. And now Amazon's "Hey Disney" is being tested in hotel rooms across WDW property? Do I have that right?
Why should an article that rehashes what was already know impact the roll-out plan for this?

JohnD

Amazon isn't telling you that. Some journalist is, with quotes from a "cyber expert(s)"...
Of course Amazon isn't and won't tell you that they have hardware that eavesdrops on your conversations. Effectively, that is what it does. I'm just saying it's in the news this week.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Of course Amazon isn't and won't tell you that they have hardware that eavesdrops on your conversations. Effectively, that is what it does. I'm just saying it's in the news this week.
There are privacy settings you can adjust. You can turn off Amazon's use of your voice recordings. You can set it to where no voice recordings are saved. And you can put the Alexa device in privacy/mute mode anytime you want so it stops listening completely.

Yes, it is in the news this week. But it is the same news we have seen previously. Everyone has a choice to use it or not, to adjust the privacy settings or not.

If you're "just saying it is in the news this week" why say it at all unless you are attempting to say Disney and Amazon should potentially consider changing course due to this news?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So let me get this straight. It's in the news this week to be careful with putting Amazon's Alexa in your bedroom because, well, you know. And now Amazon's "Hey Disney" is being tested in hotel rooms across WDW property? Do I have that right?
"Hey, Disney. Do I have this position correct? Where should my left leg be?"

I hope Goofy answers.

WDWBigEd

In the Parks
Yes
I just don't understand why you need this in every room? Or why it was even built in the first place.
To save money. You can ask the device for everything without picking up the in-room phone. Hey Disney bring me towels. Hey Disney what time does the pool close. Now I don't need as many Cast Members to answer the phones.

ppete1975

G00fyDad

Just sayin'....
1672936765205.png

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Does anyone know how to turn the screen off on this damn thing? I don't care if it listens to me yelling at the children, but I'd like to sleep in the dark.

DCBaker

Premium Member
The Hey! Disney voice assistant is now available in the Alexia Skills Store for most voice-activated Echo devices.

"Amazon and Disney announced Thursday that “Hey Disney!,” the new voice assistant built on Alexa technology, is officially available in the U.S. It’s available for most voice-activated Echo devices.

Hey Disney! marks the first time that an Alexa Custom Assistant (ACA) has launched on Echo devices inside customers’ homes. ACA allows companies to customize Alexa’s technology so it’s specific to their brand and supports their in-house tech.

The custom assistant has its own voice and personality, which the companies are naming “Disney Magical Companion.” It features over 20 characters across Disney, Pixar and Star Wars franchises, including Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, Pluto, Olaf, Moana, Dory, Mater, Chewbacca, R2-D2, Fozzie Bear and more.

While users can ask Hey Disney! simple commands like setting an alarm or timer, there are also thousands of custom interactions, from jokes and greetings to trivia games and soundscapes, among other activities. Plus, users can engage in “Play-Along Adventures” or interactive audio and visual experiences. The companies wrote in the announcement that the adventure feature allows users to go on “fun-filled journeys like going fishing with Goofy.”

Additionally, there will be hidden “Easter Eggs” built into the experience, which will apparently “surprise and delight customers,” Aaron Rubenson, VP of Amazon Alexa, told TechCrunch."

-----

"Users must sign up for an annual subscription in the Alexa Skills Store to access the voice assistant, which costs $5.99 per year. It will also be included with a subscription to Amazon Kids+ ($4.99/month or $48/year)."

Full article below.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom