News Disney testing smart speakers in guest rooms at Disney's Yacht and Beach Club

celluloid

I have to say "Hey Google" most of the time, a casual google won't wake it up for me.
I still am baffled that like a magic handcuff you can do all this on your phone and you really don't need Disney's devices?

Consider this: If it knows the difference between "Hey Google" and just "Google" than it is already passively monitoring.
So same logic applys with Alexa. Not a secret if you know it is there any not necessarily recording, but it would always be monitoring.

Not a conspiracy person or too fearful of that but wanted to point out differences.

JoeCamel

Consider this: If it knows the difference between "Hey Google" and just "Google" than it is already passively monitoring.
So same logic applys with Alexa. Not a secret if you know it is there any not necessarily recording, but it would always be monitoring.

Not a conspiracy person or too fearful of that but wanted to point out differences.
I am well aware it is always listening

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I am well aware it is always listening

Ignore The Big Lebowski GIF

ppete1975

Are these speakers plug in or battery operated? I have no interest in having one listen to me at home so I have even less interest in having one in my room on vacation which I'm already paying a great deal for. If battery operated, can we just remove the battery to halt it? I really don't like the sound of this thing being put in my room as a 'plus' and having to order more towels with it. It seems even less reliable than calling Mousekeeping directly for this.
they are electric, but disney has said you can turn them off, unplug them or even tell the front desk youd rather not have it in your room. They will not be hard wired in or anything.

LittleBuford

But as long as nothing is being recorded or transmitted, I don’t see the issue.

This is helpful:

celluloid

But as long as nothing is being recorded or transmitted, I don’t see the issue.

This is helpful:

Right, that was my attempted point. It's always monitoring not recording. Like a modern motion detector principle. It's always ready for the activation, but not always activated.

The biggest thing is what kind of impact will it have on service, or is it merely novelty?
I imagine this can help people actually staying in rooms to be the one to use a system that alerts staff to needs rather than a stationed phone person task.
It skips the middle messenger is what I would figure.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
"Hey Disney" was our safe phrase. Great, now we have to think of a new one...

I'm sure this isn't listening to you at all, just like your cell phone isn't listening to you but somehow... some way... things you talk about show up in ads the next day. 🤔 I have a specific example - My wife was talking about something running-related. The next day, I had ads in my browser *on my work laptop* about the exact thing she talked about. My work laptop was downstairs at the time we were talking. But the account I have on one of my phone's web browsers is also attached to the same browser on my work laptop (bookmark sync is a great thing).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
"Hey Disney" was our safe phrase. Great, now we have to think of a new one...

I'm sure this isn't listening to you at all, just like your cell phone isn't listening to you but somehow... some way... things you talk about show up in ads the next day. 🤔 I have a specific example - My wife was talking about something running-related. The next day, I had ads in my browser *on my work laptop* about the exact thing she talked about. My work laptop was downstairs at the time we were talking. But the account I have on one of my phone's web browsers is also attached to the same browser on my work laptop (bookmark sync is a great thing).
On my work computer, I have set it up so that the Firefox browser is synced to my personal Firefox browser, so, there is business and personal stuff on it.

Anyway, at work, we were trying to find a list of clients that attended an event 5 years prior, but couldn't find it. So, I took one person's last name we were sure was on the list and did a full computer search for that last name, which was "Volpe." And nothing came up.

Two days later, on my personal Roku start page, the sidebar advertisement, which can be an ad for a Disney show, or a Netflix show, or whatever.... well, it had an ad for an Italian movie called....

'Volpe.'

Mind you, the computer search was done through Windows file manager. Not any of my browsers. And I wasn't signed into a Windows account.

And yet, Roku knew of that search.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
On my work computer, I have set it up so that the Firefox browser is synced to my personal Firefox browser, so, there is business and personal stuff on it.

Anyway, at work, we were trying to find a list of clients that attended an event 5 years prior, but couldn't find it. So, I took one person's last name we were sure was on the list and did a full computer search for that last name, which was "Volpe." And nothing came up.

Two days later, on my personal Roku start page, the sidebar advertisement, which can be an ad for a Disney show, or a Netflix show, or whatever.... well, it had an ad for an Italian movie called....

'Volpe.'

Mind you, the computer search was done through Windows file manager. Not any of my browsers. And I wasn't signed into a Windows account.

And yet, Roku knew of that search.

I have the same setup for Firefox (because FF is awesome :D ). Edge was the browser in my example, actually, but I have had issues connecting my personal and business accounts to fully sync up (passwords are available but bookmarks and other things are not). But somehow, what my wife talked about showed up in ads and "search suggestions" when I opened the default page the next day. So yes, I'm sure a smart speaker isn't listening to you at all outside of the start word. 👌 :rolleyes:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Some more details on the "Hey, Disney!" voice assistant as Amazon shows it off at CES.

"Meanwhile, Amazon’s Disney partnership, which includes access to Disney’s intellectual property, allows Alexa’s technology to be used for a broader range of experiences, while also offering Amazon a potential revenue stream from custom client solutions.

Before today, the Disney voice assistant was available in select Disney Resort hotel rooms, as a free service for the guests. Visitors could ask the assistant for pertinent information like park hours, directions to the park, or where to eat. They could also make guest service requests at the hotel, like ordering extra towels or room service.

And, of course, the assistant is packed with Disney features — like jokes, interactive trivia, greetings from favorite Disney characters, and access to “soundscapes” inspired by Disney films. Supported voices include those from over 20 popular characters from Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, and more. When you ask for the weather, Olaf from “Frozen” might tell you when it’s cold outside, for instance. The experience itself is guided by the Disney Magical Companion, not Alexa — but some guests have complained the voice is not a known character, like Mickey.

The assistant itself was built using Amazon’s Alexa Custom Assistant (ACA) solution, which allowed Disney to customize Alexa’s technology while also supporting its own in-house tech. To start, Hey Disney! will work with Disney’s interactive wearable, the Disney MagicBand+, which will enhance Disney’s trivia game by turning the band into a game show buzzer of sorts that reacts with lights and haptics as players answer the trivia questions. The band, which is typically used in the park for entry and other things like Lightning Lane access, will also light up and buzz when an alarm or timer the guest sets goes off.

Amazon aided in the development of the assistant, it says, helping Disney to create hundreds of pieces of custom content. It’s also using the platform to introduce voice assistants to consumers who have yet to interact with them by offering hints and prompts about things they can do — like hear a joke or play a game.

“Disney is the master storyteller, and its stories are so powerful for so many people,” noted Aaron Rubenson, the vice president of Alexa, in a statement released during CES. “Now people can keep talking to a character, they can continue with the storyline when they go back to their room at the end of the day, or when they go home after the vacation is over. It’s just gratifying to imagine that we’re a part of literally bringing that magic home,” he added.

Disney and Amazon will make the Disney Magical Companion available to U.S. customers for purchase later this year, but does not have a launch time at this time."

Full article below -

JohnD

So let me get this straight. It's in the news this week to be careful with putting Amazon's Alexa in your bedroom because, well, you know. And now Amazon's "Hey Disney" is being tested in hotel rooms across WDW property? Do I have that right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom