Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Slpy3270

Most content slated for removal now gone. No surprises here thus far, but Everything’s Trash from Freeform is no longer available for digital purchase despite being so previously. Odd, since none of the other Freeform shows suffered that (I doubt this is a tax write-off thing, especially since there's no merger-related tax incentive to take; probably a residual issue with creator-star-producer Phoebe Robinson more than anything else).

Update: Seems like Prop Culture is gone. Weird since all the movies on there are Disney films, but eh.

For better and for worse, the Disney Vault as we know it is back.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Update: Seems like Prop Culture is gone. Weird since all the movies on there are Disney films, but eh.

Thats disappointing, as a Disney fan it’s exactly what I want to see on D+. The behind the scenes shows like the imagineering story, Prop Culture, Behind the Attraction, etc are a big part of why I pay for D+.

Also disappointed to see Game Changers, Big Shot, and Benedict society cancelled… they weren’t great but they were all guilty pleasures of mine, aside from Loki and the Mandalorian there’s not many series left that I watch.

Slpy3270

The behind the scenes shows like the imagineering story, Prop Culture, Behind the Attraction, etc are a big part of why I pay for D+.
Good news: two of those shows are still there.

Bad news: the average D+ subscriber doesn't care for those shows, unfortunately.

Yep, tried to tell you all this was happening.
The biggest mistake people made was thinking streaming services would replace home video.

Guess what? They're just television networks no different from HBO. The idea that content would stay there forever was always a fantasy given the economics involved.

As I've said before, Netflix will absolutely start taking their own shows and movies down at some point. It's only a matter of time.....

Motherland Fort Salem got removed. Even Marvel’s Runaways.
Both shows are available to purchase digitally so thankfully they're not gone.

Last edited:

Slpy3270

One thing that boils my mind is people saying that shows and movies exclusive to streaming services that get pulled are "gone forever" like the hard drives, film prints and/or master tapes of said movies/shows have been destroyed/erased.

What year is this? 1970? If the studios were found to still be doing that in this day and age, it would be a huge scandal. Literally no one would want to work in Hollywood ever again. There are still tons of old movies and shows, especially shows that have never reaired since their original broadcasts, that have not gotten any home video or streaming releases. Are they "gone forever"? No. They're just sitting in a studio vault waiting for whenever the time comes to be pulled out.

That's what's going to happen to these shows and movies. They'll come back, somehow, someday. They likely still exist in hard drives or master tapes deep in the Disney archives somewhere.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
One thing that boils my mind is people saying that shows and movies exclusive to streaming services that get pulled are "gone forever" like the hard drives, film prints and/or master tapes of said movies/shows have been destroyed/erased.

What year is this? 1970? If the studios were found to still be doing that in this day and age, it would be a huge scandal. Literally no one would want to work in Hollywood ever again. There are still tons of old movies and shows, especially shows that have never reaired since their original broadcasts, that have not gotten any home video or streaming releases. Are they "gone forever"? No. They're just sitting in a studio vault waiting for whenever the time comes to be pulled out.

That's what's going to happen to these shows and movies. They'll come back, somehow, someday. They likely still exist in hard drives or master tapes deep in the Disney archives somewhere.
Correct, hence the "Disney Vault" reference that we've both made. Its the made up scarcity that gets the consumer to act, "better buy or sub now or it'll be gone forever". And guess who created that..... Chapek. So for all the negative things he's done around the company, he at least did do that right from a business perspective.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Most content slated for removal now gone. No surprises here thus far, but Everything’s Trash from Freeform is no longer available for digital purchase despite being so previously. Odd, since none of the other Freeform shows suffered that (I doubt this is a tax write-off thing, especially since there's no merger-related tax incentive to take; probably a residual issue with creator-star-producer Phoebe Robinson more than anything else).

For better and for worse, the Disney Vault as we know it is back.
It's not a vault situation.

The vault took premium content and removed it to create scarcity and, thereby, demand.

This is trash content that nobody watches. It's not coming back. Ever. Nobody is going to resubscribe to Disney+ because Willow comes back "for a limited time."

Cc @Disney Irish

Slpy3270

This is trash content that nobody watches. It's not coming back. Ever. Nobody is going to resubscribe to Disney+ because Willow comes back "for a limited time."
I wouldn't say Prop Culture was "trash" even if only diehards watched it.

And you know what's also trash? 60% of Touchstone Pictures films. Disney still has them widely available in some form.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I wouldn't say Prop Culture was "trash" even if only diehards watched it.

And you know what's also trash? 60% of Touchstone Pictures films. Disney still has them widely available in some form.
I don't have the time or energy to explain production accounting but suffice it to say that those Touchtone Pictures films have been fully amortized and are no longer a drag on the P&L.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Do we know if these removals are more strategic and temporal, or permanent (like what WBD did with Batgirl)?
We don't know for sure.

Management at WBD said that Batgirl was, to paraphrase, awful. They didn't dis the other removals in the same way. And there's talk of some of their removals finding new homes.

Disney simply removed what they removed with little to no comment.

“Fan favorite”
IMG_9327.jpeg

Bahahaha!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom