Fountain & Bottled Drink, Popcorn, Pretzel, and Other Snack Item Prices Exponentially

LittleBuford

I think the point is that this is a fixed price menu. I am not sure that Disney allows ordering from the child's menu when the meal is fixed price. Has anyone any experience of 10 year olds being allowed to opt out of the "adult" fixed price in order to select a cheaper meal?

I'm curious to know this as well. The children's menu is also fixed price, but obviously cheaper. Would the restaurant really raise a fuss if a child suspected to be over 10 opted for the children's menu?

Calmdownnow

Would it be an issue if a child over 10 opted for the childrens' menu? Well they would if it was a fixed price buffet -- at the buffet they would be charged the "adult" price. So, the question is do they treat fixed price menu the same as they treat buffet pricing when charging guests at fixes price meal?
Is the question important? Well yes, because if someone is heading off to Disney after reading these boards and thinks they can escape these charges by ordering differently, they may have been mislead.
I would also say that the suggestion that "10 year olds have always been adults and that battle was lost long ago" is defeatist and not helpful when Disney is moving away from selectable menu items that allows cost to be linked to appetite, towards fixed price menus. This is precisely the time when a campaign for "junior" pricing might carry some real economic weight.

LittleBuford

Would it be an issue if a child over 10 opted for the childrens' menu? Well they would if it was a fixed price buffet -- at the buffet they would be charged the "adult" price. So, the question is do they treat fixed price menu the same as they treat buffet pricing when charging guests at fixes price meal?
Is the question important? Well yes, because if someone is heading off to Disney after reading these boards and thinks they can escape these charges by ordering differently, they may have been mislead.
I would also say that the suggestion that "10 year olds have always been adults and that battle was lost long ago" is defeatist and not helpful when Disney is moving away from selectable menu items that allows cost to be linked to appetite, towards fixed price menus. This is precisely the time when a campaign for "junior" pricing might carry some real economic weight.

It's a bit different from a buffet situation, because at Be Our Guest, the two menus entail different food options. An 11-year-old ordering the adult menu would receive the same food as an actual adult; the "value" is identical. What I don't know is whether this 11-year-old could instead go for the children's fixed-price menu, in which case they would be charged the lower price and receive a different meal altogether. Do CMs ask for proof of age in such cases? In my experience, it's really in their teens that children's appetites and tastes start resembling those of adults.

Bpmorley

Disney makes the choice easy now. Rental car for a week is about $100. 1 stop at winn-dixie or publix and we save way over that cost. Case of bottled water(for DW, I hate bottled water)2.99. Case of beer 15, bottle of wine 10, throw in some breakfast food and snacks and disney doesn't kill me as much. We usually do 1 good meal on property, but use Disney rewards for that. Plus driving off property to eat is at least a third the price.

Calmdownnow

It's a bit different from a buffet situation, because at Be Our Guest, the two menus entail different food options. An 11-year-old ordering the adult menu would receive the same food as an actual adult; the "value" is identical. What I don't know is whether this 11-year-old could instead go for the children's fixed-price menu, in which case they would be charged the lower price and receive a different meal altogether. Do CMs ask for proof of age in such cases? In my experience, it's really in their teens that children's appetites and tastes start resembling those of adults.[/QUOT
I think the question is not what choices the child makes on the menu, but what Disney determines the price should be based on the age of the diner.

LittleBuford

I think the question is not what choices the child makes on the menu, but what Disney determines the price should be based on the age of the diner.

If a child orders and eats the same meal as an adult, then I see no problem with that child being charged the same amount as an adult. Where I part company with Disney is over the notion that a 10-year-old has adult eating habits to begin with. To my mind, 12 or 13 would be a more reasonable age for the child/adult division.

Radeksgrl

I'm wondering about that as well, my AP is up for renewal mid-December. I hope they don't start charging lower tier passholders for parking again. It was only a few years ago that I had to pay for parking at each visit with my Silver Pass, and I worry at every renewal that they are going to bring that back. That would definitely result in a non-renewal from me this time around.

I KNEW IT! Exactly what I was worried about this year. So much for AP prices increasing in February like they normally do, Hopefully free parking is still included with the AP.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
How much is the refillable popcorn bucket now?

I can ask my two sons and find out. (I'll bet it's still cheaper than box of popcorn in DLP. :bored: )

Update: Someone else can confirm/corroborate this, but they said $10 for a refillable bucket with $2 refills. $5 or $6 for a regular box (I'm guessing $5).

JoeCamel

I can ask my two sons and find out. (I'll bet it's still cheaper than box of popcorn in DLP. :bored: )

Update: Someone else can confirm/corroborate this, but they said $10 for a refillable bucket with $2 refills. $5 or $6 for a regular box (I'm guessing $5).
I think the new prices on a menu board are posted upthread but I'm too lazy to go look.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think the new prices on a menu board are posted upthread but I'm too lazy to go look.

I went back 10-11 pages and didn't find anything but a popcorn refill costs $2. So that's confirmed. Anyone who wants to go back further to look, be my guest, I'll thank you in advance right now. :)

Kman101

I wonder how much is "bought" on the DDP and if that's why there hasn't been much blowback on the over-pricing. I imagine it makes little difference to most but those of us paying out of pocket who notice it the most. I haven't read all 40 pages so apologies if this has been brought up already.

JoeCamel

It was these I was thinking of...Guess I'm not as lazy as I thought
The difference between Universal and Disney, as far as table service restaurants go, is Universal's most expensive TSRs have prices that align with Sci-Fi Dine In. But have considerably better food.

And here are Universal's current snack prices.

souvenir-popcorn-bucket-coke-freestyle-universal-orlando.jpg
Heh... Just saw this. No, no, Corless doesn't steal material... *checks title of this thread* ;)

View attachment 318292

Also - Prices on popcorn are creeping up. My wife and I were just commenting to each other last week how popcorn prices at DLP were outrageous, 6.49 Euros for a box, or roughly about $8 USD. And it's not even Orville Reddenbacher anymore. :mad:

You posted it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom