2017 Theme Park Attendance Data

asianway

The construction made the park go to half the possible capacity? This is a fact? I find that hard to believe.
Because its wrong. What closed? GMR for 1/3 of the year, a theatre show that ran 2x a day, another theatre that sat empty, and a lot of empty space that was only filled when a LMA show dumped. Even if your measure of capacity is people standing in locked elbows around the park, half of it isnt closed.

RSoxNo1

The Festival of the Arts started in 2016 but was a very late addition and I could not make plans quick enough to attend. There are thousands like my wife and I who loved it and went for the fa
It debuted weekends only in 2017 and was every day in 2018.

In January 2016, Epcot was the worst park in Central Florida. No Soarin' or Frozen Ever After.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

You are right, I keep thinking on Hong Kong as a British City and not China. So make it a third city in China. And you are also right it was this past January I went. I guess that means a major increase in WDW attendance in 2018 will be reported next year and then blown records away in 2019 and 2020. 2020 will probably be around 70 million at WDW.

Mainland China has room for 2 more resorts IMO, Chongqing and Beijing. DLS has room for another park.

This is what Iger said on the most recent financial call:

And then secondly, when you think about what you've done in China in putting a park there to kind of build awareness for the Disney brand, as you move to more of a global RTT strategy, would you ever consider building parks in other parts of the world as kind of a brand beacon for just the overall interest in Disney's products?

Robert A. Iger -- Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

I'll answer the second part first. We think that there's opportunity to expand in China and there may also be opportunities in other parts of the world. We are constantly engaging in conversations with people from different markets who would love us to put Disneyland in their market. We're going to take a look at some of them because of the population base that lives in those markets, and consider all the factors that we typically have to consider, which are things like economic and political stability, spendable income, other infrastructure issues, you name it. But I'd say that there's an inevitability to us building parks in other countries. But it doesn't necessarily mean that we're going to build something anytime very soon, but we're going to look.

I think they will probably announce at least one new resort and/or a new park by D23 2021. From announcement until the thing is up and running though is another story.

I suspect that Volcano bay has met expectations. The numbers are a little above Wet & Wild, but it didn't open until May. It should be able to keep those numbers with the hotel expansions in progress around it, maybe even catch up with Disney (?) in a few years. It looks like a solid investment.

VB is really nice. Better than BB and TL. Better than Aquatica too. Hopefully its success can kick Disney's gear into updating their water parks because they are really lagging behind there.

Disone

Mainland China has room for 2 more resorts IMO, Chongqing and Beijing. DLS has room for another park.

This is what Iger said on the most recent financial call:

I think they will probably announce at least one new resort and/or a new park by D23 2021. From announcement until the thing is up and running though is another story.

VB is really nice. Better than BB and TL. Better than Aquatica too. Hopefully its success can kick Disney's gear into updating their water parks because they are really lagging behind there.
VB... All that is very subjective. VB has not had a good opening. VB is still recovering from a very strong onslaught of poor reviews at opening and still is not out of the woods yet.

I've been once and I understand some of the negative criticism this park is receiving. It has suffered from a little bit of over-hype and under-delivered. The volcano is spectacular... from one side. From the other side it still looks incomplete, with exposed piping and staircases. From an execution of theme standpoint, honestly Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach outclass volcano Bay. From a just fun water slides slides point and variety of water slides volcano Bay clearly leads.

I'm not trying to say the park has been a failure because it's not been, however there's a lot of strong data that says the park has a lot of adjusting to do. It's percent of excellent rating, the percentage of paying guests that rate the park excellent, is far too low.

In the travel industry, the percent of guests that rate your parkour hotel as excellent is extremely important. It drives the intent to return.

Last edited:

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

VB... All that is very subjective. VB has not had a good opening. VB is still recovering from a very strong onslaught of poor reviews at opening and still is not out of the woods yet.

I've been once and I understand some of the negative criticism this park is receiving. It has suffered from a little bit of over-hype and under-delivered. The volcano is spectacular... from one side. From the other side it still looks incomplete, with exposed piping and staircases. From an execution of theme standpoint, honestly Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach outclass volcano Bay. From a just fun water slides slides point and variety of water slides volcano Bay clearly leads.

I'm not trying to say the park has been a failure because it's not been, however there's a lot of strong data that says the park has a lot of adjusting to do. It's percent of excellent rating, the percentage of paying guests that rate the park excellent, is far too low.

In the travel industry, the percent of guests that rate your parkour hotel as excellent is extremely important. It drives the intent to return.

Yeah true. I went very recently so I missed some of the problems during opening. I was also looking more at the water slides and variety aspects. I still think it's better than other water parks in Orlando, but I haven't been to any of the other ones in years.

I think BB and TL could be modernized and get some new fun rides as well. The cost wouldn't be as high as creating new lands and new rides for their main parks. They could also use some IPs for their rides there as well since that's the direction they are going enterprise wise. I assume water parks are low priority items for Disney though.

21stamps

Because its wrong. What closed? GMR for 1/3 of the year, a theatre show that ran 2x a day, another theatre that sat empty, and a lot of empty space that was only filled when a LMA show dumped. Even if your measure of capacity is people standing in locked elbows around the park, half of it isnt closed.

Exactly as I thought.

GlacierGlacier

WDW Attendance data by decade since 1971.

View attachment 284399

View attachment 284394

View attachment 284396

View attachment 284397

View attachment 284398

This is based on a combination of multiple sources of data I've accumulated over the last decade. Recent years since 2,000 are either Amusement Business/TEA data. prior to that I left gaps in the data until I had at least 2 sources for the numbers and just recently filled in the gaps a couple of weeks ago. If anyone has alternate sources, especially for the older years I'd love to improve the accuracy of the data with more accurate numbers based on factual data.
I turned this into a graph because they're pretty
EXCEL_2018-05-20_11-19-01.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Based on these numbers it still looks like AK and Pandora may be canabalizing some attendance from MK. Overall MK seemed pretty crowded but didn’t show a large increase. In the summer of 2017 AK was the latest park open on many nights and with MK dumping the night parade a lot of people may have hopped to AK at night instead to try to get into Pandora. Keeping the park open late allows for more FP capacity at new rides. This trend should continue through 2020 with SW at DHS. I can’t imagine they won’t have DHS open late night almost every night to try to get as many people as possible through. What will be interesting will be when GoTG opens at EPCOT, will they keep the front half of that park open later? Eventually when they add back the night parade at MK for the 50th it should swing crowds back to MK again at night and hopefully we start all over. Exciting times:)

seascape

Jason pointed out the numbers for DHS just arent possible without parking lot closures regularly - the Studios can only get that much traffic with multiple clicks factored in
People staying on property don't need parking. Also many cheap people park at Disney Springs for free.

disney4life2008

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom