Disney sees studio revenue soar 21% after 'Black Panther' crushed expectations

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Well, I've typically sold my DIS well before the splits, so I haven't actually experienced one... but I have watched the stock after the splits, and it has typically grown again back into split territory... which historically has been ~ $120 a share IIRC.
And therefore, had there not been a split, the stock price would have gone to $240. As Mr Incredible notes, Math is Math.

If a company is worth $100 billion and has 1 billion shares outstanding, each share is worth $100. If the company does a 2 for 1 stock split, it’s still worth $100 billion, and now each of the 2 billion shares will be worth $50, and each holder of shares will have twice as many of them. That’s it —a stock split gives you two fifties for your hundred.

Crap...I said I was out, but they pulled me back in.

MerlinTheGoat

I may regret sticking my head into this beehive (but hey everybody needs a laughing place). Regarding the debate about hotel room occupancy manipulation, the idea didn't come from nowhere. @ParentsOf4 has quite a few posts regarding this matter. Here are a few-
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/why-walt-disney-world-needs-a-5th-theme-park-by-2025.893463/
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-chit-chat-chit-chat-thread.892190/page-4661#post-7366857

One detail mentioned was that in the occupancy reports, there are different ways in which regular rooms and DVC rooms are counted and factored into the percentages. ParentsOf4 states that Disney is converting regular rooms into DVC rooms in order to play with the numbers. Though I don't know how much of an effect this has on the occupancy reports, or if there's anything technically "wrong" about them doing it.

Jimmy Thick

And therefore, had there not been a split, the stock price would have gone to $240. As Mr Incredible notes, Math is Math.

If a company is worth $100 billion and has 1 billion shares outstanding, each share is worth $100. If the company does a 2 for 1 stock split, it’s still worth $100 billion, and now each of the 2 billion shares will be worth $50, and each holder of shares will have twice as many of them. That’s it —a stock split gives you two fifties for your hundred.

The obvious hope would be the stock split of the $100 dollar share into two $50 dollar shares would in turn in time turn into $100 dollar shares themselves.

Root for the company share buy backs, woo hoo!!!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!

Welcome back. The value proposition of the split is when the company shares grow in value (again). Your two fifties will become two hundreds again. And long term, if you're so inclined, that means you can then sell off half your holdings and still have what you had to start with.

Oh, and please note on the chart I referenced... some of those splits were 3:1 and 4:1... and when the stock reaches split territory again...

WDWTank

What's eye opening to me is how P&R jumped so high in profits. I guess in a theme park after a certain threshold in attendance is reached, the new guests are more profit.
People still continue to visit the parks, and will do so for many generations to come. Theme parks are VERY profitable! :D

Bairstow

Let me check...nope. BS.

So you don't think there is a large contingent in this country opposed to the sort of racial and gender inclusivity championed by a movie like Wrinkle? Because I need only to direct you to the comment section of any of its trailers on YouTube to show you that it exists.

Last edited:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Welcome back. The value proposition of the split is when the company shares grow in value (again). Your two fifties will become two hundreds again. And long term, if you're so inclined, that means you can then sell off half your holdings and still have what you had to start with.

Oh, and please note on the chart I referenced...some of those splits were 3:1 and 4:1... and when the stock reaches split territory again...
1525967410174.png

EricsBiscuit

Oh, and please note on the chart I referenced...some of those splits were 3:1 and 4:1... and when the stock reaches split territory again...
No because if you didn't split the shares would be $200. Look at Brk-A. Splitting is a dumb move. It's a waste of time.

Frankie The Beer

That's not how a split works.

If a stock splits its usually priced high and scares investors to stop buying it, a split lowers the price and gets it active again. Second about value. No matter how many shares a stock splits it will always have the same value of what it did before the split. Disney right now could have a value of say 100 billion dollars. If it splits 4 to 1, its still values at 100 billion dollars. If it earns value after the split, say 200 billion dollars if the split never took place it would still be worth 200 billion dollars but the stock price would be very high. Splits don't make you money, they just make it easier for traders.

winstongator

Original Poster
What do you think is causing such a drastic increase?
Higher revenue combined with some cost cutting. To some degree, an incremental guest adds directly to profit - park is staffed the same. Other things, hotels, food as examples, become more profitable as they get closer to 100% capacity. Breaking that down, higher prices combined with increased attendance. With Pandora, TSL & SWGE, I see continued price increase and continued increased attendance. I really only follow WDW, but it might be financial improvements internationally. The international park expansions seem pretty awesome. You can go back through the quarterly and annual reports and they give a paragraph or two of info. Annual reports have % occupancy numbers, so you can guess how that drives things.

Luigi

So you don't think there is a large contingent in this country opposed to the sort of racial and gender inclusivity championed by a movie like Wrinkle? Because I need only to direct you to the comment section of any of its trailers on YouTube to show you that it exists.

Yeah...I don't tend to take the anonymous, cowardly opinions of those on Youtube with any sort of sincerity or as a meaningful reflection of civilized society.
There are people who still think the Earth is flat on Youtube.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom