News Digital Key coming soon to Walt Disney World Resort hotels

ljransom

As you need a data connection for the app, i can imagine standing outside my room for 10mins trying to get a signal from the crappy Wi-Fi in order to get in. Will stick to the simple effective method of using a magic band.

I used this at a Hilton on a layover on my way to Disney last fall. It was the worst. Would get to the room, realize I should have spent the entire time walking down the hall loading the app, cuz it took so long to load. Then wait for the app to connect to the room, and sometimes it would take a full minute connecting. This is no way will save you effort (aka full hands) or time over the magicband!

geekza

i doubt it, i think its just a way to get rid of more front desk agents
I hadn't really looked at it from that perspective, but it makes total sense. It's the same reason we see fewer and fewer cashiers in grocery stores and Walmarts and why all gas in the US (except for NJ and, I think, one other state) is self-serve. As much as some folks complain that certain people are taking away our jobs, in reality there are a lot more service and production jobs lost to automation than any other reason. Machines don't need insurance and will work 24/7.

geekza

As you need a data connection for the app, i can imagine standing outside my room for 10mins trying to get a signal from the crappy Wi-Fi in order to get in. Will stick to the simple effective method of using a magic band.
Once the key has been loaded onto your phone once, as far as I know, it doesn't need to be loaded again. At that point, it's just using Bluetooth to send the encrypted key to the receiver, which unlocks the door. You can get your key before you ever get on-property.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I hadn't really looked at it from that perspective, but it makes total sense. It's the same reason we see fewer and fewer cashiers in grocery stores and Walmarts and why all gas in the US (except for NJ and, I think, one other state) is self-serve. As much as some folks complain that certain people are taking away our jobs, in reality there are a lot more service and production jobs lost to automation than any other reason. Machines don't need insurance and will work 24/7.

It could be utilized like that...or it could also lead to shorter lines at the check-in, which will allow front desk agents more freedom to take their time during those that do check-in at the front, and spend more time dealing with guest needs other than just a standard check-in. It really depends on the utilization rate. If only 5 or 10% of guests at a hotel skip the front desk and go straight to their room, can the front desk afford to lose an agent for that particular day? Maybe, it can depend on a lot of things...occupancy percentage, the actual total number of arrivals that day, etc. Also depends on how hotel leadership wants to handle it.

Disstevefan1

I think this is just being done to give staff and security fast easy access to the rooms when ever they want. Let's hope they never get rid of magic bands for fast pass and room access, I think we all agree magic bands are handy for those things.

If I have to dig my phone out of my pocket to do more stuff, it just another chance to drop it and break it!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
i doubt it, i think its just a way to get rid of more front desk agents

That plan was formulated in the mid 90’s...”destination Disney”

A lot of the early concepts...notably rfid scanners and automated access/systems were in that old concept. Shows you how far ahead tech Is for rollout. That concept needed blue tooth/WiFi/access points even then...before they existed.

But hotel staff consolidation was going into policy at least in 2001.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It could be utilized like that...or it could also lead to shorter lines at the check-in, which will allow front desk agents more freedom to take their time during those that do check-in at the front, and spend more time dealing with guest needs other than just a standard check-in. It really depends on the utilization rate. If only 5 or 10% of guests at a hotel skip the front desk and go straight to their room, can the front desk afford to lose an agent for that particular day? Maybe, it can depend on a lot of things...occupancy percentage, the actual total number of arrivals that day, etc. Also depends on how hotel leadership wants to handle it.

I assume you were laughing when you typed that one part?

Who do you think you are giving your money for leisure too?
If you want to give it to gates at the four seasons...park at wilderness lodge and walk over.

You’ll save money...well...except for the wilderness lodge parking fee 😜

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I assume you were laughing when you typed that one part?

No. I wasn't laughing at all. The entire response was based on my personal experience. It can go either way (or maybe a little of both), depending on what the goals of leadership are (related to Digital Key) for that particular hotel/company.

geekza

I wonder, also, whether or not the expansion of technologies that give customers the ability to perform certain tasks, removing the need to involve service personel, stems from a shift in modern culture whereby face-to-face communication is diminishing. Think about it: We all carry around phones, but how often do we actually call someone? When I worked at Amazon, the majority of the phone calls we'd receive were from people 40 and up. Younger customers prefered to use either email or chat. We are quickly shifting to a culture wherein interpersonal communication skills are not learned. There is a detachment when using electronic communication, rather than interpersonal communication. We aren't able to see the subtle facial or hear emotional cues that have traditionally been so important in communication. As much as computers and the Internet were initially seen as a method of expanding communication and education, we've seen real communication and education degrade because of an overload of (often faulty) information and the elimination of the emotional aspect of communication.

I'm getting too introspective. I need to cut down on the Red Bull and cigarettes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No. I wasn't laughing at all. The entire response was based on my personal experience. It can go either way (or maybe a little of both), depending on what the goals of leadership are (related to Digital Key) for that particular hotel/company.

Yeah...as a former manager and TDO staffer...I’m telling you that you SHOULD be laughing.

It’s not about “attention to detail”...they’re a stock company.

ljransom

Once the key has been loaded onto your phone once, as far as I know, it doesn't need to be loaded again. At that point, it's just using Bluetooth to send the encrypted key to the receiver, which unlocks the door. You can get your key before you ever get on-property.

In this case that doesn't sound too bad, assuming you don't need to open the app up every time :)

geekza

In this case that doesn't sound too bad, assuming you don't need to open the app up every time :)
If it's anything like Hilton, you do have to open the app, but there's a button as soon as you open it to display the digital key function. It was actually really quick and easy to use, though Magic Bands are certainly easier and faster.

bektex

Probably right after watches come back into vogue...I don’t think we’re there just yet
Smart watches are popular. Look at how many people have Apple Watches, FitBits, and Android watches. Most of my friends have at least one, between them and their spouse. Those would be the ones that could open the doors, anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom