News TWDC Organizational Shakeup - Parks combined with Consumer Products

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I get the dislike of Chapek, Studio IPs for the sake of Franchise extensions and upcharges galore (the upcharges would have happened under any of the recent Parks leaders). But again, he is the first person to own Parks to get projects actually approved and get construction moving in a long time. And a lot of it...staged in very short succession He has gotten Iger to open the wallet for items outside of Iger-driven projects (Shanghai, DCA-Redo, Pandora).

When the wallet was closed for years, and if guests were starting to complain about the Bob's favorite cash cow as a result (4 new rides in 12 years, and only one was an E-ticket, or so I'm told, I haven't been to AK in a few years now), it doesn't take a genius to figure out that money needed to be spent. I won't comment on how that money is being spent...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
When the wallet was closed for years, and if guests were starting to complain about the Bob's favorite cash cow as a result (4 new rides in 12 years, and only one was an E-ticket, or so I'm told, I haven't been to AK in a few years now), it doesn't take a genius to figure out that money needed to be spent. I won't comment on how that money is being spent...

Knight: He chose unwisely...

the.dreamfinder

As TWDC's recent decision is going on here, Tokyo Disneyland (OLC) is already hard at work with the taping of their 35th Anniversary commercial. Which said anniversary is just a month away.

Real talk: If WDW/DL’s social media feeds were devoted to characters doing silly things/pleasant reminders of a place you love instead of soccer mommy overplanning garbage, they’d have a lot more followers.

brb1006

Real talk: If WDW/DL’s social media feeds were devoted to characters doing silly things/pleasant reminders of a place you love instead of soccer mommy overplanning garbage, they’d have a lot more followers.
The Tokyo commercial reminds me of Disneyland Paris's 25th Anniversary character cavalcade during their 25th anniversary day.:)

gsimpson

Oh good, now we can expect even lower quality garbage from China being shoved at us with a premium price. Higher room prices, pay for parking, higher admission prices, "capacity" pricing (read: jack the prices up even more when crowded). Guess I know why Universal is having a record year and had seen larger increases in park attendance than Disney.

VJ

As TWDC's recent decision is going on here, Tokyo Disneyland (OLC) is already hard at work with the taping of their 35th Anniversary commercial. Which said anniversary is just a month away.

What does this have to do with what's going on in the US?

Rodan75

This actually feels positive. Maybe more innovation coming directly from Imagineering, which would hopefully equate to products, games toys that feel more 'Authentically Disney" than some of the crap being produced today. It feels like a lot of the big licensees lately have gotten lazy (Hasbro, EA, Mattel) which is why I think that Consumer Products growth has slowed.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So it looks like "Western Division" is everything except China and Japan.

Both Divisions each have 3 parks...

CEO - Bog Iger
  1. Parks, Experiences, and Consumer Products - Bob Chapek
    1. Western Parks - Catherine Powell
      1. Paris - Catherine Powell (until a replacement is found)
      2. Orlando - George Kalogridis
      3. Anaheim - Josh D'Amaro
    2. Eastern Parks - Michael Colglazier
      1. Shangahi
      2. Hong Kong
      3. Japan
    3. Signature Experiences (DCL, DVC, Adventures, Aulani) - Jeff Vaje
    4. Global Product Management & Distribution (Retail, licensing, online, shopDisney) - Paul Gainer
    5. Disney Stores - Josh Silverman
    6. WDI & Development of consumer merch/apps - Bob Weis
  2. Media Networks (TV) - Ben Sherwood (Disney/ABC) & James Pitaro (ESPN)
  3. Studio Entertainment (Movies) - Alan Horn
    1. WD Animation Studios
    2. WD Studios
    3. Pixar Studios
    4. Marvel Studios
    5. LucasFilm Studio
    6. Disney Theatrical Group
    7. Disney Musical Group
  4. Direct to Consumer & International (streaming) - Chariman, Kevin Mayer (previously, Chief Strategy Officer)
    1. Programming - Agnes Chu (previously Senior Vice President)
    2. BAMTECH (streaming platform for Disney and ESPN) - Michael Paull
    3. global advertising sales - Rita Ferro & Edward Erhardt (ESPN)
    4. content distribution - Janice Marinelli
    5. global distribution networks

Stripes

Did someone already mention that the corporate Disney store/consumer products people moved their offices to the Glendale campus and into the WDI building? Lol.
That's got to suck. From the photos I've seen WDI has a pretty garbage building. They really do deserve a better space.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Both Divisions each have 3 parks...
I get it... you have to call it something...

But the idea of calling DLP and WDW "Western" parks when you're headquartered in California seems kind of disingenuous to me.

They could just as easily called the divisions "Asia" and "Everything Else."

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I get it... you have to call it something...

But the idea of calling DLP and WDW "Western" parks when you're headquartered in California seems kind of disingenuous to me.

They could just as easily called the divisions "Asia" and "Everything Else."

In recent history, western Europe and countries in the Americas have always been "the west." Countries in Asia have always been "the east." Like, western culture and eastern culture. I think it is just as simple as that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom