News What do you think about the new "Foot Golf" at Oak Trail Golf Course?

JIMINYCR

I'll try "foot golf" and "frisbee golf" as long as I still get to use my clubs.

We have 2 disc golf courses opened up in our area that has really become highly popular. One of the courses has won awards for their course layout and are always attracting new golfers. They raise money for charities with tournaments and recently hosted the National Womens Disc Golf Championships.

21stamps

Augusta National?? I hope not;)

I’d say PGA National is much nicer than Disney’s courses, and they have footgolf there..Unless PGA National doesn’t count as “world class”. It’s been a popular and fast growing sport in Florida and all around the country.
This thread is the first time that I’ve ever heard people complain about it. Leave it to Disney guests though..always something ;)

HauntedMansionFLA

I’d say PGA National is much nicer than Disney’s courses, and they have footgolf there..Unless PGA National doesn’t count as “world class”. It’s been a popular and fast growing sport in Florida and all around the country.
This thread is the first time that I’ve ever heard people complain about it. Leave it to Disney guests though..always something ;)
That’s the world we live in today. As long as each person is paying the same rates as the golfers, I’m fine with it. A lot of courses started to offer it after the market crash in 2007 and golf lost a lot of players. Pace of play drives me crazy. I could see it become a problem if it hopes play up.

21stamps

That’s the world we live in today. As long as each person is paying the same rates as the golfers, I’m fine with it. A lot of courses started to offer it after the market crash in 2007 and golf lost a lot of players. Pace of play drives me crazy. I could see it become a problem if it hopes play up.

I think some of you are under the impression that it’s played on the same holes, it’s not. That would be impossible.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Golf is in massive decline...it might have something to do with the middle class...but that kinda argument doesn't play very well on Disney forums 😜

shernernum

Oak Trail, as others have said, is exactly that, a 9 hole walking course at a Family resort. I know there was a poster earlier who called it a "world class golf course." Trust me, having played it a few times, it's not. Most golfers looking to truly go out and golf are going to play Magnolia, Palm, and to a lesser extent LBV (although I love that course). A 9 hole walking course at a resort like this is more than likely only going to have serious golfers on it early in the AM (trying to get a quick 9 in before park time) or late in the afternoon (sneaking some golf in before the sun goes down). If this makes the courses more profitable for Palmer, then why not.

The only concern I might have is that a few of the Oak Trail holes are close to holes on Magnolia, and I wouldn't want to see kids and soccer balls flying out onto those fairways while people are playing.

Disneyhead'71

Doesn't interest me, but I know a lot of people here in Orlando that will take advantage of it.

This is an expanded recreational offering that should be VERY popular with many WDW guests. With the Euros, South Americans, and with The U.S. turning kids away from Football too soccer, I see no drawbacks here. Good job TDO. ⚽

21stamps

If Palm Beach golf snobs can handle it.. I think Disney will be ok.. ;)

https://patch.com/florida/west-palm...-spa-announces-national-footgolf-classic-2017

The PGA National FootGolf Classic with take place on Friday and Saturday, September 8th and 9th, 2017 with a morning shotgun starts.
The tournament has a cash purse of $12,500 and there are categories for Men, Seniors (46 and older) and Women. This tournament is also a stop on the World Tour and will have 250 FIFG (Federation for International FootGolf) ranking points.FootGolf, which is played on a traditional golf course, involves the kicking of a soccer ball down the fairway of the course, with the intention, like golf, of reaching the hole in as few “strokes” (kicks) as possible. In FootGolf, the hole is increased to 21” in diameter to accommodate a regulation soccer ball.

Sorry about the lack of participation trophy’s @larryz ;)

Anyway, note the bold words. You don’t play golf and footgolf at the same time.

Movielover

You don’t play golf and footgolf at the same time.

giphy.gif

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
If Palm Beach golf snobs can handle it.. I think Disney will be ok.. ;)

https://patch.com/florida/west-palm...-spa-announces-national-footgolf-classic-2017

The PGA National FootGolf Classic with take place on Friday and Saturday, September 8th and 9th, 2017 with a morning shotgun starts.
The tournament has a cash purse of $12,500 and there are categories for Men, Seniors (46 and older) and Women. This tournament is also a stop on the World Tour and will have 250 FIFG (Federation for International FootGolf) ranking points.FootGolf, which is played on a traditional golf course, involves the kicking of a soccer ball down the fairway of the course, with the intention, like golf, of reaching the hole in as few “strokes” (kicks) as possible. In FootGolf, the hole is increased to 21” in diameter to accommodate a regulation soccer ball.

Sorry about the lack of participation trophy’s @larryz ;)

Anyway, note the bold words. You don’t play golf and footgolf at the same time.

Now this post makes me really upset... I was OK with having a foot golf course at WDW, but calling me a SENIOR... That's where I draw the line!!! :mad:

Actually, this whole concept is new to me and it leads to some questions...

1) Do the players change shoes for different shots? You can have your driver shoe all the way down to your putter shoe.
2) Is there Mini-Foot Golf? I want to kick the ball through a windmill!!!
3) Are there drink carts on a foot golf course? I would think that this is a must!

21stamps

Now this post makes me really upset... I was OK with having a foot golf course at WDW, but calling me a SENIOR... That's where I draw the line!!! :mad:

Actually, this whole concept is new to me and it leads to some questions...

1) Do the players change shoes for different shots? You can have your driver shoe all the way down to your putter shoe.
2) Is there Mini-Foot Golf? I want to kick the ball through a windmill!!!
3) Are there drink carts on a foot golf course? I would think that this is a must!

1. No.
(But shhhh- don’t give Nike and Adidas any ideas)
2. If you open one, I’ll visit!! Sounds fun!
3. Of course. What is any form of golf without drinking?. ;)

MSmithmd

Couple things to clear up, as someone who regularly plays both traditional and foot golf.

Foot golfers have a separate tee box and hole. Only the fairway is shared with regular golf, and the foot golf hole isn't near the regular golf green.

It "seems like" foot golf would be slower than regular golf, but it isn't. It's much quicker. Even my family of five, two of whom are 9 years old, can all together play 18 holes of foot golf in under 3 hours. So even if foot and regular golf tee times are mixed, the foot golfers are always faster than the traditional golfers.

Foot golf causes basically no damage to a course. You're not taking divots of course, and you don't even walk on the green- the foot golf hole is always closer to the tees than the green, and well off to the side.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom