Annual Passholders can pick up a special holiday magnet at Disney's Hollywood Studios

RSoxNo1

Universal and SeaWorld both do the same for their AP stuff. If it's that much of an inconvenience to you to pull out your Wallet like we had to for 41 years before MagicBands came along (which you love to hate on), then just save your time and don't get the free thing. Easy.
One of the thought processes behind the Magic Band is to make it feel like you're not having a transaction. When you pull out your wallet, that's a transaction. How is that anything but moronic? When you add in the pettiness of needing to prove that you're not trying to swindle Disney out of a pin, magnet or 10-20% discount it's excessive. They're concerned about people "sharing" annual passes, yet for discounts they will absolutely let you do it if you use cash or a Disney gift card.

Who's the joke on? How much money is being saved by these extra layers of protection? It's a similar complaint to the chips on the soda dispensers. It's unnecessary.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I received my AP magnet last week. Sure would have been nice if they sent me the holiday version. I'm not driving 4 hours to get a magnet.

Next Big Thing

I have never been made to show ID at Universal Orlando Resort or SeaWorld Orlando over the past decade. The pass alone has always been sufficient.
Have you ever tried going in Sea World's Passholder lounge ever? ID check, please. Passholder events as well. Universal doesn't do as much for their APs (or they didn't until just the past few years), but AP B&T showing immediately comes to mind as something recent.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Your name is attached to the card though. So they have to scan the AP and then look at your ID.

I’ve never once had a CM scan my AP. They want to see the name written on the back in a sharpie and compare it to my ID. Of course, the sharpie is rubbed off and then we go through the whole song and dance. I have the card, the magic band slider, and the screenshot of my phone/the app and they still look at me like I have three heads when the sharpie is gone on the back.

asianway

I guarantee these will be under lock and key. If it's anything like the 3 cent Food and Wine buttons they're going to need your annual pass and a photo ID. The enforcement of these types of rules really grates at me. It's the penny pinching at the cost of annoying your guests. What are they really gaining here?
The 3 cent buttons and 7 cent magnets sure make up for the non existence of AP events the last SIX years don't you think?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Man, I guess they are better off just doing nothing. Every time they offer anything it is just picked apart and ridiculed.

They could do nothing, or they could actually compete with the other major theme park down the street. Maybe some early access events, an appreciation night, access to extra magic hours. I'm sorry if some people don't find value in a $.02 magnet.

NearTheEars

They could do nothing, or they could actually compete with the other major theme park down the street. Maybe some early access events, an appreciation night, access to extra magic hours. I'm sorry if some people don't find value in a $.02 magnet.

I would love all of those things.
I can also guarantee that people would still complain.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I guarantee these will be under lock and key. If it's anything like the 3 cent Food and Wine buttons they're going to need your annual pass and a photo ID. The enforcement of these types of rules really grates at me. It's the penny pinching at the cost of annoying your guests. What are they really gaining here?

It was such a madhouse in the tiny stores with regular shoppers and APers that all you had to do was show a card. Then the CM asked, "How many?" My friend was with me, so, I said, "Two." As I was getting those two, my friend didn't know I was getting his, so, he flashed his card and got one, too!!

So... I got away with murder!!! Well, close to it.

For a company that is looking to streamline the concept of buying something with a simple tap of the wrist, any time I have to take my ID out it feels like a transaction. It defeats the purpose. An alternative would be to attach a photo to the annual pass. Most of the registers have a screen where an image could appear much in the same way it does at Disneyland's park entrance.

Indeed, they could have a vending machine that issued redemption coupons for whatever the giveaway is. Scan your band/card and fingerprint and out pops a coupon... for the AP gift, or for a special event item, or for whatever. Just redeem the coupon for the item in a quick pick-up queue. The vending machine did all the verification of identity and eligibility.

disneygeek90

I picked mine up a few days ago. For those complaining about the hassle, you'll be happy to know nothing was swiped and the CM's barely glanced at the ID to go along with the pass. It's nice. I've already starting seeing some around Orlando so locals definitely went and got theirs quick.

Monorail_Red_77

At Food and Wine they had set up switchbacks for the buttons because the process was more than show AP, get button. It's unnecessarily excessive. The same thing happens when you present your AP for a discount or at the parking gates.

For a company that is looking to streamline the concept of buying something with a simple tap of the wrist, any time I have to take my ID out it feels like a transaction. It defeats the purpose. An alternative would be to attach a photo to the annual pass. Most of the registers have a screen where an image could appear much in the same way it does at Disneyland's park entrance.

So yes, I say they're pinching pennies as dollars go over their head. They spend $1.5 billion - $3 billion (depending on who you ask) on My Magic + in an attempts to make your vacation feel all inclusive. This is a wholly unnecessary impediment to that. For me, that's further acknowledgement of the programs failure.

I'm asking them to think smarter.

While I'm pointing out dumb stuff that bothers me, "Hey Credit Card companies, put the chip on the other side of the card or put the numbers on the back. When you put the chip in the reader it leaves the important numbers exposed for anyone with eyes."

Typical.
I have a Amazon Chase credit card that has my name laser engraved on the front with the chip. the account number, my name again, and expiration dates are all laser engraved on the back. No more embossed numbers punched through the card. I can see where in a few years maybe others follow suit. I like the fact that it hides the info better.

Edit: my ebay credit card is similar, nothing on the front but the chip and ebay logo. name and all account info printed on back, not laser engraved, just printed.

Last edited:

Monorail_Red_77

My first thought when I saw this announced. Wow, they are trying really hard to get people to come into Hollywood Studios. I'm sure some will say, well, since I'm here already lets checkout the holiday offerings. For me, it's sure to be one of the quickest trips into and out of Hollywood Studios.;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My first thought when I saw this announced. Wow, they are trying really hard to get people to come into Hollywood Studios. I'm sure some will say, well, since I'm here already lets checkout the holiday offerings. For me, it's sure to be one of the quickest trips into and out of Hollywood Studios.;)

Do it a night. DHS looks really great at night.

Monorail_Red_77

Do it a night. DHS looks really great at night.
We will be there on the 16th. That was my first choice, until I checked the park hours and DHS closes at 6pm to regular guest that night. So no special holiday stuff like jingle bell jingle bam or the tower projections. They have a hard ticket event from 6 till midnight. So I’ll be running in around 2 pm real quick (for the magnet) and finishing out the day at MK where they are open till midnight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom