Q4 Earnings Report - Parks and Resorts

mikejs78

Premium Member
Agree on Eisner's stagnation and poor choices during his last years as CEO yet his worst years were better than Iger's best because he instinctively realized that Disney was 'special'

Iger is a 'bean counter' CEO he's missed multiple opportunities for organic growth because he's inherently risk averse and really instead of playing to win he plays not to lose and as such he's missed multiple growth opportunities. Had he invested in the business rather than the stock during the Great Recession even now Disney would have been reaping the profits from those investments.

Construction on SWL should have started the instant the ink was dry on the Lucasfilm contract and it should have been a new gate on the scale of AK Star Wars is a license to print money yet all Iger's done with it ls licensing fees for toys and some craptastic movies.

Iger is a bad CEO for Disney because of his open hatred of the creative process and by extension creative people. But that runs to his underlying fear of risk which he is unable to take.

On balance I think Iger's been good for Disney. Not great, but good. He made some good moves that will shore up Disney for years to come. And his term is nearly done.

Now I wonder how many people, 5 years from now, will yearn for the good old Iger days when staring at CEO Bob Chapek?

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Now I wonder how many people, 5 years from now, will yearn for the good old Iger days when staring at CEO Bob Chapek?
giphy.gif

mikejs78

Premium Member
Agree on Eisner's stagnation and poor choices during his last years as CEO yet his worst years were better than Iger's best because he instinctively realized that Disney was 'special'

Iger is a 'bean counter' CEO he's missed multiple opportunities for organic growth because he's inherently risk averse and really instead of playing to win he plays not to lose and as such he's missed multiple growth opportunities. Had he invested in the business rather than the stock during the Great Recession even now Disney would have been reaping the profits from those investments.

Construction on SWL should have started the instant the ink was dry on the Lucasfilm contract and it should have been a new gate on the scale of AK Star Wars is a license to print money yet all Iger's done with it ls licensing fees for toys and some craptastic movies.

Iger is a bad CEO for Disney because of his open hatred of the creative process and by extension creative people. But that runs to his underlying fear of risk which he is unable to take.

What I think Disney really needs is a good 1-2 team, with the CEO being a creative type backed by a strong #2 to manage the business/financial/stock holder side of things. That's when Disney has been most successful. Walt (creative) and Roy (Business). Michael Eisner (creative) and Frank Wells (business). This is bolstered by the fact that it was after Frank Wells' death that Eisner started to have problems. So have two recent examples - creative without business (later Eisner years) and business without creative (Iger). Neither has been great but I think Iger has been better than Eisner's later years, although no where approaching Eisner's early years.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

What I think Disney really needs is a good 1-2 team, with the CEO being a creative type backed by a strong #2 to manage the business/financial/stock holder side of things. That's when Disney has been most successful. Walt (creative) and Roy (Business). Michael Eisner (creative) and Frank Wells (business). This is bolstered by the fact that it was after Frank Wells' death that Eisner started to have problems. So have two recent examples - creative without business (later Eisner years) and business without creative (Iger). Neither has been great but I think Iger has been better than Eisner's later years, although no where approaching Eisner's early years.
My biggest beef with Iger still and will always be that he has relied SO MUCH (I'd say almost exclusively) on buying outside companies and turning them into Disney, then doing anything even remotely original or innovative.
Instead of leading Disney into the 21st century as a creative force that people look to for inspiration (aka, original Disney), he has turned the name and Walt himself, into nothing but a brand to slap onto merchandise. He's put others in place (Chapek comes to mind) who have no business running their respective divisions. At the end of the day, everything is done to service the almighty dollar and help assure Bob that Willow gets something shiny once he cashes in his bonus check. He has devolved Disney from a creative powerhouse into a media conglomeration with no clear future direction.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
On balance I think Iger's been good for Disney. Not great, but good. He made some good moves that will shore up Disney for years to come. And his term is nearly done.

The answer to that one is easy EVERYONE

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Disney has always been its best as a company and financially when a strong Business / Creative team is at the helm where both understand that their roles are compliementary and both are necessary to the success of the enterprise.

Sonconato

You certainly get the feeling he is sucking every penny out of Disney. Last Saturday night, MK was open until midnight with Extra Magic Hours until 2 AM. It was the day between two Christmas parties. We were leaving out from Tomorrowland Terrace during the fireworks to get to the bypass to the front of the park, and there were no employees to direct anyone. It bottle-necked and we were stuck there for 20 minutes with people pushing, shoving, and swearing. Worst of all, there was no way to see the fireworks, which made people angry. I went around and asked three different employees to help the situation before it got violent. None of them could come over because they were overworked each doing something else entirely. I immediately went to Guest Services, where there was a long line of people upset like I was, and I complained to them. The woman behind me was doing the same thing for the same reason. Unfortunately, I'm sure neither of us matter enough to change Disney's strategy so this does not happen again.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You certainly get the feeling he is sucking every penny out of Disney. Last Saturday night, MK was open until midnight with Extra Magic Hours until 2 AM. It was the day between two Christmas parties. We were leaving out from Tomorrowland Terrace during the fireworks to get to the bypass to the front of the park, and there were no employees to direct anyone. It bottle-necked and we were stuck there for 20 minutes with people pushing, shoving, and swearing. Worst of all, there was no way to see the fireworks, which made people angry. I went around and asked three different employees to help the situation before it got violent. None of them could come over because they were overworked each doing something else entirely. I immediately went to Guest Services, where there was a long line of people upset like I was, and I complained to them. The woman behind me was doing the same thing for the same reason. Unfortunately, I'm sure neither of us matter enough to change Disney's strategy so this does not happen again.

The overcrowding in the park at night is another reason, I stopped visiting at night because crowds that dense are DANGEROUS, just imagine the result if some kid lit off a string of fireworks.

But hey 20 minutes in a cattle chute is the very DEFINITION of a premium experience at Disney these days.

IanDLBZF

First off, this was a Holiday (Veteran's Day) so of course it will be packed. I was there between Noon and 1 PM a did BTMRR and POTC with a FP, Future World over at Epcot didn't seem to busy, but World Showcase was slammed. HWS and AK crowds felt more manageable that day.

brb1006

Since Mickey's 90th birthday, I'm not sure many people heard about this story. But back in 1988, during Mickey's 60th Birthday that year. Roy E. Disney and other Disney executives took a Trip to Moscow. Where they seen this touching short by Russian animators Mikhail Tumelya and Alexander Petrov.

Here's what Roy said about this.
"Really, quite literally, we all wound up hugging each other with tears coming down our faces... it was one of the more emotional moments that I can remember in my life." Such was Roy Disney's reaction when he and a group of Disney executives first saw the short.

I learned about this short from this blog.
http://disneybooks.blogspot.com/2006/08/marathon-1989-this-is-probably-most.html

No Name

Don't worry, I saw your point coming from a mile away, but don't get it at all. DAK's attendance in 2016 was just about the highest, if not the highest, it's ever been. So saying the park had record attendance in 2017 tells us zilch. Just means it's at least slightly higher than before. If you think it's much high, then it's even more odd the Pandora wasn't mentioned once in the last report, so I'm not sure how the post doesn't age well.

Anyway carry on.

Last edited:

twebber55

Don't worry, I saw your point coming from a mile away, but don't get it at all. DAK's attendance in 2016 was just about the highest, if not the highest, it's ever been. So saying the park had record attendance in 2017 tells us zilch. Just means it's at least slightly higher than before. If you think it's much high, then it's even more odd the Pandora wasn't mentioned once in the last report, so I'm not sure how the post doesn't age well.

Anyway carry on.
dude you re taking this stuff way too serious

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom