Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

TP2000

The current formula consisting of one or more of the following: singe IP, trackless ride, large land with few rides, lack of kinetic energy is getting old.

I couldn't agree more! It's charmless and static. And when they invariably cut the walk-around characters and the little street shows the land was designed with (sometimes even before the land opens like Chapek did with Star Wars), the land goes completely sterile. Like Star Wars Land is; it's somehow visually impressive yet feels flat and lifeless at the same time.

And thus we'll get some IP Driven Land with one hulking E Ticket locked away behind a Genie+ paywall, and then be told that Ky'le From Tustin working his snack bar shift will immerse us in the story. :banghead:

That's what also worries me about the unfunded blue sky concepts without names that Sidekick Tightpants keeps showing at fan events. The stuff they are proposing now are all from that same mold you described; devoid of movement, life, and action. The new land concepts are all just one giant E Ticket behind a vague themed facade with a gaggle of gift shops and Mobile Order food windows around them. Don't forget to download the App!

beyond-big-thunder-mt.jpg

Yet 60 years ago they were doing stuff like this with a fraction of the staff and without a single Ritz-Carlton research trip.

disneyland.gif

But at least the smog went away over those past 60 years! So there's that, I guess...

Last edited:

mickEblu

I couldn't agree more! It's charmless and static. And when they invariably cut the walk-around characters and the little street shows the land was designed with (sometimes even before the land opens like Chapek did with Star Wars), the land goes completely sterile. Like Star Wars Land is; it's somehow visually impressive yet feels flat and lifeless at the same time.

And thus we'll get some IP Driven Land with one hulking E Ticket locked away behind a Genie+ paywall, and then be told that Ky'le From Tustin working his snack bar shift will immerse us in the story. :banghead:

That's what also worries me about the unfunded blue sky concepts without names that Sidekick Tightpants keep showing at fan events. The stuff they are proposing now are all from that same mold you described; devoid of movement, life, and action. The new land concepts are all just one giant E Ticket behind a vague themed facade with a gaggle of gift shops and Mobile Order food windows around them. Don't forget to download the App!

beyond-big-thunder-mt.jpg

Yet 60 years ago they were doing stuff like this with a fraction of the staff and without a single Ritz-Carlton research trip.

disneyland.gif

Well said.

Don’t get me started on tightpants. I think I’ve grown to dislike him more than Chapek. At least you knew what Chapek was. Tightpants tricked us all. I’m sure the fact that he’s the face of the parks during the worst D23’s ever has something to do with it too.

duncedoof

I'd say Rise of the Resistance is the best one they've done this century. I'd been itching for a new dark ride for so long, and that's exactly how a Star Wars dark ride should look like.

Maybe it's not clicking for some because it's themed to the sequel trilogy, they surely regret that. Right now they're just waiting to see how the new Rey trilogy performs, and if it doesn't go well, finally announce the OT re-theme.

Although, I would've preferred they had saved Star Wars for the third gate, rid of Toon Town and develop a spiritual successor of it in said third gate, and put MMRR there. Then have used all that space plus the one TP2000 pointed out to get to develop some cool sh*t (Villains Land for DL? New new Fantasyland? A new Tomorrowland?).

D.Silentu

Seems like a good place to put it, as I can't figure out how they'd explain it thematically in DCA. Tucked way in the back, where you have to really want to go see it to get there.
It seems ideal to me as well, situated on the outskirts of the park. It feels right that Galaxy's Edge and presumably Avatar land would be placed together outside the traditional borders of Disneyland.

mickEblu

Food for thought, in another thread Truecoat seems to imply that Disneyland's Avatar expansion will go in the rectangular portion of your red outline.

“Will go “” as in he has some inside info or is he just postulating? It just doesn’t make much sense. Do they plan on cutting the admission price for DCA in half? I feel like DCA needs at least the next two big additions.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

I really wanted to like Runaway Railway since I'm partial to the Rudish-era shorts but the way its executed leaves a lot to be desired. That being said, the two family members I've gone on it with (my dad and my sister) really liked it.

TP2000

A fun conversation here gang on the 1 year anniversary of the new Toontown! Happy Anniversary, New Toontown! 🥳

Has anyone checked on Walt's Dreaming Tree lately? I found this photo from early November, but I can't find anything more recent. I forgot how odd that whole thing was, and how they hyped it so much before we got to see it.

2023_11_10_IMG_9619.jpg

D.Silentu

Attachments

• 1706580800984.png
    1706580800984.png
    390.1 KB · Views: 31

Consumer

Thought if it. Would have made my Top 10 for sure. Trying to be as objective as possible. I’m sure I’d enjoy Cosmic Rewind and Grizzly Gulch more than a few of those attractions on that TOP 5. Ultimately it’s a less good Thunder Mountain and that kind of works against it from getting on a list like this.
Yeah, compared to Big Thunder it certainly falls flat. It's a shame there isn't space in Grizzly Peak for it because it is different enough from Big Thunder where it could work in the same resort. Side note, watching a recent ride through of Grizzly Gulch, it's amazing how much better the ride looks now after several years of plant growth filling in all that empty space.
I'd say Rise of the Resistance is the best one they've done this century. I'd been itching for a new dark ride for so long, and that's exactly how a Star Wars dark ride should look like.

Maybe it's not clicking for some because it's themed to the sequel trilogy, they surely regret that. Right now they're just waiting to see how the new Rey trilogy performs, and if it doesn't go well, finally announce the OT re-theme.

Although, I would've preferred they had saved Star Wars for the third gate, rid of Toon Town and develop a spiritual successor of it in said third gate, and put MMRR there. Then have used all that space plus the one TP2000 pointed out to get to develop some cool sh*t (Villains Land for DL? New new Fantasyland? A new Tomorrowland?).
I'd agree with all these points except for Toon Town in a third gate. Had Disney not ruined DCA, taking the nook of Hollywood Land where Monsters Inc is located and turning that into Toon Town with a Roger Rabbit ride would have worked brilliantly.

J4546

that pic of the dreaming tree shows kids running and playing around on its roots, and adults sitting and seeming to enjoy the atmosphere..... just like intended lol. Its serving its exact purpose it seems to me

TP2000

that pic of the dreaming tree shows kids running and playing around on its roots, and adults sitting and seeming to enjoy the atmosphere..... just like intended lol. Its serving its exact purpose it seems to me

Looking at the average age of those toddlers playing on the roots, about 18 to 24 months old, they would also get a big kick out of playing around on a small lawn strewn with used milk cartons. So I'm not sure this "immersive" bit of "storytelling" by WDI lands with them fully.

But your point is still valid; people are sitting on the bench and toddlers are climbing on the roots.

2023_11_10_IMG_9612.jpg

I wonder what that Toontown CM is thinking to himself as he supervises the toddlers being immersed in storytelling?...

"Ask to work on the Canoes, my buddies said! Chicks dig the Canoe guys, they said! And yet they put me here...."

mickEblu

Looking at the average age of those toddlers playing on the roots, about 18 to 24 months old, they would also get a big kick out of playing around on a small lawn strewn with used milk cartons. So I'm not sure this "immersive" bit of "storytelling" by WDI lands with them fully.

But your point is still valid; people are sitting on the bench and toddlers are climbing on the roots.

2023_11_10_IMG_9612.jpg

I wonder what that Toontown CM is thinking to himself as he supervises the toddlers being immersed in storytelling?...

"Ask to work on the Canoes, my buddies said! Chicks dig the Canoe guys, they said! And yet they put me here...."

Haha Walt’s Dreaming Tree. Really shameful they gave that tree that name. They should have went with a fake tree or waited til it’s was much bigger for that backstory. Anyway I laugh because my wife and I try to run past that area every time we’re there before the kids notice and try to play there. Please keep in mind this usually after Runaway Railway and 10-15 frantic minutes at Goofys Play yard. We’ve had enough of Toontown at that point.

Last edited:

Professortango1

. My vote would be for a version of Cosmic Rewind with more show scenes and a ride using Shanghai’s ride system with the same scope/scale. No more trackless rides please.
We already have Cosmic Rewind basically. Its just a newer version of Ghost Galaxy/Hyperspace Mountain. The coaster is fun, but in terms of a themed attraction, its pretty basic.

However, if they'd bring back TOT, I'll let them build two Cosmic Rewinds lol.

mickEblu

We already have Cosmic Rewind basically. Its just a newer version of Ghost Galaxy/Hyperspace Mountain. The coaster is fun, but in terms of a themed attraction, its pretty basic.

Hahah if we got TOT back I may even be willing to take the exposed big blue boxes that would go with those two Cosmic Rewinds.

I don’t know. I haven’t been on it but I think a lot of people who have would push back on the notion that it’s just a newer Hyperspace Mountain.

Right, that’s why I added the additional show scenes stipulation.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Not sure this is the right place to continue this convo but if given the choice I'd probably take Monstropolis and the Doors coaster in the Hollywood backlot (and beyond) instead of Avatar Land. It would be a smoother transition, a nice spiritual successor to the current Monsters ride and much easier to pull off in that area/ sq footage. Not to mention it would be unique. They can build Avatar land somewhere else if they so chose to. Anywhere except Grizzly Peak of course.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not sure this is the right place to continue this convo but if given the choice I'd probably take Monstropolis and the Doors coaster in the Hollywood backlot (and beyond) instead of Avatar Land. It would be a smoother transition, a nice spiritual successor to the current Monsters ride and much easier to pull off in that area/ sq footage. Not to mention it would be unique. They can build Avatar land somewhere else if they so chose to. Anywhere except Grizzly Peak of course.
Maybe this deserves its own thread, "DLR Announced/Rumored Projects that were cancelled but wish they would revive".

October82

Which is probably part of why Tokyo's new Space Mountain is strongly rumored to use the Cosmic Rewind ride system.

D.Silentu

Since this thread has gotten a second wind, I have a question about the final scene in the ride. I got a chance to experience it in December and am a little confused as to how we riders got from a factory to the park in the blink of an eye. I must have missed something. Can anyone shed light on this apparent teleportation?

Disney Analyst

Since this thread has gotten a second wind, I have a question about the final scene in the ride. I got a chance to experience it in December and am a little confused as to how we riders got from a factory to the park in the blink of an eye. I must have missed something. Can anyone shed light on this apparent teleportation?

We on the train are about to be crushed by the machine, but Mickey makes it to a lever, and when he flips the lever, it turns the world around us into a park, as if by magic, sparing us from the fate of being crushed.

Anything is possible in the toon world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom