Bringing your own food to the food court!!

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
So, there is some thread on my Facebook feed right now about saving money at Disney, and one guy suggested packing your own English Muffins, bagels, or bread and toasting them at the resort where they also have free condiments like butter, honey, and jelly.

When someone said they have never seen toasters in rooms, except villas, he posted this:

"Yeah it's all in the food court they have several toasters you can use at Pop I only saw two toasters at All Star Sports last weekend during the hurricane there was a ridiculous line but I'm sure when there's no weather issue the line is pretty decent and I only saw one microwave but they're supposed to be two but for sure grape jelly strawberry jam orange marmalade honey and a butter margarine mix which I'm not too fond of."

Ummmmmmm......okay.......this seems odd to me. But maybe I'm crazy. Is it a thing? Does Disney let people just bring their own food and use the toasters and microwaves and condiments in the food courts? I would never do it but now I'm curious.

Thanks in advance.

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Obviously all of those things are there for the people who purchase food in the food court. This guy, and others like him, are just taking advantage. He probably takes the room towels home with him too, because hey, he paid good money to stay at that hotel.
Yeah, that was my thought exactly. But then I started wondering why they had microwave ovens and toasters in the food court in the first place. Do they sell unheated food that you have to take care of yourself? I have to admit that I haven't been to one of their food courts in a long time so I honestly don't know the answer.

Souvenir

Yeah, that was my thought exactly. But then I started wondering why they had microwave ovens and toasters in the food court in the first place. Do they sell unheated food that you have to take care of yourself? I have to admit that I haven't been to one of their food courts in a long time so I honestly don't know the answer.
I've never stayed at the specific resorts that he mentions, but I do often stay at Beach Club which has a frozen food section in their marketplace that people can make purchases from and then heat up themselves in a microwave. They also sell untoasted bagels and bread which people can purchase and put in the toasters. Beach Club is partially a DVC property so some guests have toasters and microwaves in their villas but the people staying in the regular rooms have access to the microwaves and toasters in the marketplace . The butter and jam and other condiments are for people purchasing items from the quick service counter.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
So just out of curiosity. If I'm staying at POR. Take a boat to DS. Drop $200 on dinner somewhere with the family (Raglan, Boathouse...you choose). Decide I can't finish the Paleoburger, or other huge item I ordered and decided to box it. Walk around DS for another hour and do some shopping. Take the boat back to POR and decide..."hey, I'm in the mood to finish said burger".... So I get off the boat, walk into the food court, refill my refillable mug, and nuke my half-a -burger for 20 seconds (because my room doesn't have a microwave).

You frown on that?....Yeah.....Ok.

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
So just out of curiosity. If I'm staying at POR. Take a boat to DS. Drop $200 on dinner somewhere with the family (Raglan, Boathouse...you choose). Decide I can't finish the Paleoburger, or other huge item I ordered and decided to box it. Walk around DS for another hour and do some shopping. Take the boat back to POR and decide..."hey, I'm in the mood to finish said burger".... So I get off the boat, walk into the food court, refill my refillable mug, and nuke my half-a -burger for 20 seconds (because my room doesn't have a microwave).

You frown on that?....Yeah.....Ok.
I don't see how anyone would possibly have a problem with that, including Disney. But bringing one's feed bag from home and then steal---- um----borrowing Disney's condiments to tart it all up is maybe another story.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I don't see how anyone would possibly have a problem with that, including Disney. But bringing one's feed bag from home and then steal---- um----borrowing Disney's condiments to tart it all up is maybe another story.

Agree, that is kind of overboard. I've never really noticed it. But probably because I haven't been looking out for it. If a saw a few people doing that I don't think it would impact me one way or the other.

But...I would start having a big problem with it if I walked into the food court to order food and found I couldn't find a table due to everyone already seated eating food that was obviously brought from home. Don't think it'll ever get that extreme though...but with Disney's continual price increases...you never know.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I don’t do this being we buy all our food at Disney. (Eventhough we stay in DVC villas with full kitchens we rarely eat in our room) BUT I know people do this a lot it’s a common thing, and it does not bother me at all. (And no I’m not okay with stealing I’m a rules stickler and never saw rules that people couldn’t do this) ;)

I am Timmy

It's actually normal and that is what they are there for. Disney is aware, as are the CM's, that people bring food from grocery stores to eat in their rooms - hence grocery delivery. That is also why toasters and microwaves are provided in the quick service areas of most resorts, so people don't buy cheap toasters at stores for their rooms and start fires. We used to bring microwave popcorn in our luggage and go pop it in the Wilderness Lodge Roaring Forks - one CM told me you can buy them there, but they cost way more. Used salt from the condiments, that's why it's there, for people to use. On whatever. Condiments for toast and such is also for that purpose - a service Disney offers resort guests to use that is included..... for now.

jaklgreen

They do sell packages of bread and bagels, etc in the gift shops at all of the resorts. So using the toaster/microwave is never a big deal. Not sure about the condiments. I am sure those were meant for those buying items at the food court. I think if you are stopping by the store or getting a delivery of food, you can just as easy add a bottle of jelly to your order so you don't need to take the ones from the food court, its only a couple of bucks. But I never use the condiments from the food court so someone can have my portion.

Disneydreamer23

This reminds me of something I seen yesterday. Went to get lunch at Yak & Yeti when I went to find table mind you I was pushing a stroller I had two kids and a tray of food, I seen about 8 people Rush in front of me to grab the table that brought food from home sitting at the Yak & Yeti restaurant I tried to find a seat for over 30 minutes with no luck I had to go sit on a bench with my two kids and eat the food while half of the people inside the eating area had food from home I thought that was wrong.

jaklgreen

This reminds me of something I seen yesterday. Went to get lunch at Yak & Yeti when I went to find table mind you I was pushing a stroller I had two kids and a tray of food, I seen about 8 people Rush in front of me to grab the table that brought food from home sitting at the Yak & Yeti restaurant I tried to find a seat for over 30 minutes with no luck I had to go sit on a bench with my two kids and eat the food while half of the people inside the eating area had food from home I thought that was wrong.

When I went with my kids when they were little, we would just sit down with other people. I would ask and everyone was very nice and shared their table with us. I think it is horrible for people to take a table when they bring their own food inside the park. If you are going to do that then wait for an off time when there are plenty of tables.

MomofPrincessGrace

We did this when we stayed at POR in May. We are the type that get up early and hit the parks before rope drop. We brought some frozen sausage biscuits and kept them in the mini-fridge. While my sister was getting dressed, I ran over to the food court and warmed the biscuits up so we could eat them on the drive over to the parks. Actually, I dont remember seeing anyone using the toaster or microwave any time we were in the food court. Also, we had some leftover pizza from Via Napoli and used the microwave to warm it up later that night. I think that if there were an issue with using the microwave or toasters, they wouldnt make them so easily accessible.

nickys

Premium Member
We did this when we stayed at POR in May. We are the type that get up early and hit the parks before rope drop. We brought some frozen sausage biscuits and kept them in the mini-fridge. While my sister was getting dressed, I ran over to the food court and warmed the biscuits up so we could eat them on the drive over to the parks. Actually, I dont remember seeing anyone using the toaster or microwave any time we were in the food court. Also, we had some leftover pizza from Via Napoli and used the microwave to warm it up later that night. I think that if there were an issue with using the microwave or toasters, they wouldnt make them so easily accessible.

Agreed. They advertise the microwaves and toasters as available in brochures etc. Especially for planning pages for those bringing babies who ask where they can heat up bottles etc. They are there for people to use! Why would they be needed for people who just bought something from the food court???

Condiments - well we grab salt and pepper for our DVC villa. And ketchup sometimes, although we would usually get a small bottle when we head to Publix. We don't tend to use the spreads or jams but as long as they're there then why not.

Minnie Mum

Yeah, the toasters and microwaves are there for guests to use for whatever they want. Heating baby food and formula, reheating leftovers, heating food from home, whatever. And taking condiments, whether you've made a purchase or not, has always happened.

At least it's not like the freeloaders at the toppings bars in some park restaurants. Someone will buy a single item (like a burger for a whole family) and then head to the toppings bar to make a big "salad" from the fixings there. Yes, this happens.

At least Disney is trying to restrict the people who take up a table while bringing in their own food (in the parks). At the busiest times, at certain restaurants (Cosmic Rays in particular), CMs will be stationed at the entrance to the table areas and restrict entry to only those who have their food trays in hand. Wish they did this at all the CS restaurants.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom