PHOTOS - Epcot Legacy Showplace opens as part of Epcot Food and Wine Festival

Thelazer

Is..That..It?

Jesus, I'm mean, there is more "stuff" laying backstage in a dumpstere and in the tunnel, than there is in that exhibit.

I suggest no one even go in there, don't shop, don't buy, don't even go in it.. don't give them a penny more reason to even call this a thing.

*Q*

It is a little disappointing. I was expecting essentially the same thing as the Arts Festival gallery/exhibit... just with booze and retro snacks.

Brad Bishop

Can you honestly look at the photos of this exhibition and call this a good use of the space? seriously... It is a throwaway idea thet they allocated the meagerest budget to...If they are going to do a gallery for EPCOT's 35th it should be glorious...the most amazing ground breaking theme park ever built is remembered if 15 small framed pictures and some concept art for Ratatouille?... Come on... Oddysey is a beautiful space that deserved more...the subject of the exhibition deserved a better treatment...Is it better than nothing or a poke in the eye? yes... but just a sad shadow of what it could be and a poor example of what it should be...

They have all of the Communicore/Innoventions are where they could host something pretty magnificent. Instead, they put it in a shell of a restaurant from the 1980s.

First, while I realize there's a sink hole there and they can't easily just rip everything up, they ought to use that foundation and rebuild the Odyssey into a nicely themed, transitionary restaurant. I shouldn't feel as if I've traveled back to 1980 to do anything at Epcot. It's a prime spot. They just need to redo the building.

Second - from the pics it looks like I'm looking at a few Epcot memorabilia in an abandoned Morrison's Cafeteria. Again, movie it to somewhere in the Communicore/Innoventions area or, go crazy, and put it in one of the many convention center areas they have. They could put it in the Millennium building or even shove it all into the old Life Pavilion (which would actually be more of a comment on the current management, now that I think of it).

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Can you honestly look at the photos of this exhibition and call this a good use of the space? seriously... It is a throwaway idea thet they allocated the meagerest budget to...If they are going to do a gallery for EPCOT's 35th it should be glorious...the most amazing ground breaking theme park ever built is remembered if 15 small framed pictures and some concept art for Ratatouille?... Come on... Oddysey is a beautiful space that deserved more...the subject of the exhibition deserved a better treatment...Is it better than nothing or a poke in the eye? yes... but just a sad shadow of what it could be and a poor example of what it should be...

Yet a perfect example of the values of current disney management philosophy, no respect for the customers intelligence and do everything in a cheap and nasty manner

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
but seriously what is there to be positive about...they did a crap job, allocated no budget to it, have no unique merchandise, and it looks like they just culled the photos from a backstage office and added graphics... Why should we cheer them for not doing something in the quality that has or had become Disney's hallmark? When they do good work, I will cheer them! I will applaud and exclaim...when they churn out something like this, I will call that out...
The Odyssey is a beautiful space, the subject of this exhibition is beyond amazing...not sure how these two things came together with such a completely lackluster result.
Yes, but the nostalgia sales are magical....

Figments Friend

Well, after getting a little excited at hearing about this opening....I'm now rather surprised and disappointed at this 'Showplace' display.
There is barely anything in it.

It's just common concept art from back in the day, availible in any decent book about the Park and instantly accessible via a quick online image search.
While its beautiful in its own right, the walls of framed color copies look sparse in this large setting that includes no real display pieces.
A missed opportunity.

The Epcot 25th Gallery that was put together and contained in a much smaller space was literally packed full of a fabulous assortment of REAL display pieces of all forms..not just beautiful concept art of yore.
Models, clay sculpts, Cast costumes, Show / Attraction figures and props, a quaint merchandise display, and other bits of memoribilia were on hand to be seen.
It was a popular display...so much so it stayed open a few years after the 25th Anniversary had come and gone.

-

montyz81

My only quibble would use the real Star Wars Factions. The Empire and Rebel Alliance. Not the factions Disney made up after they "acquired" the franchise. Disney has a habit of taking things like Epcot and Star Wars that used to bring me great joy and turning them into things that cause me great pain.
It is JJ Abrams fault. He did that to Start Trek too.

Cmdr_Crimson

Well, after getting a little excited at hearing about this opening....I'm now rather surprised and disappointed at this 'Showplace' display.
There is barely anything in it.

It's just common concept art from back in the day, availible in any decent book about the Park and instantly accessible via a quick online image search.
While its beautiful in its own right, the walls of framed color copies look sparse in this large setting that includes no real display pieces.
A missed opportunity.

The Epcot 25th Gallery that was put together and contained in a much smaller space was literally packed full of a fabulous assortment of REAL display pieces of all forms..not just beautiful concept art of yore.
Models, clay sculpts, Cast costumes, Show / Attraction figures and props, a quaint merchandise display, and other bits of memoribilia were on hand to be seen.
It was a popular display...so much so it stayed open a few years after the 25th Anniversary had come and gone.

-

Unless World Showplace is not being used for anything...This could probably be the only other place they could use for a better Exhibition....

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
20170903_171310_HDR.jpg
20170903_171334.jpg
Instead of Legacy, maybe it should read "In memoriam."

Movielover

Wow this thread is a big bummer! Who would have thought all this negativity would come from a couple pictures?
Well I'm here to cheer you guys up, I'll post some pictures from EPCOT's history to brighten the gloom around here!

Horizons_Full_777.jpg

Horizons_Full_785.jpg

tumblr_najv7wcgx41rpike2o4_500.gif

Are we happy yet?

3595356256_01091d858f.jpg

4562298-8567610-thumbnail.jpg

tenor.gif

Feeling good!

os-disney-epcot-frozen-ride-ng-jpg-20160621

6cc23a4513e4d7c6b52fd346b6a91fdf.gif

Rays of sunshine!

leavealegacy2_grassey.jpg

Have a magical day!

NEqyWj0clSKUur_2_a.jpg

TRIGGER WARNING!

brb1006

Wow this thread is a big bummer! Who would have thought all this negativity would come from a couple pictures?
Well I'm here to cheer you guys up, I'll post some pictures from EPCOT's history to brighten the gloom around here!

Horizons_Full_777.jpg

Horizons_Full_785.jpg

tumblr_najv7wcgx41rpike2o4_500.gif

Are we happy yet?

3595356256_01091d858f.jpg

4562298-8567610-thumbnail.jpg

tenor.gif

Feeling good!

os-disney-epcot-frozen-ride-ng-jpg-20160621

6cc23a4513e4d7c6b52fd346b6a91fdf.gif

Rays of sunshine!

leavealegacy2_grassey.jpg

Have a magical day!

NEqyWj0clSKUur_2_a.jpg

TRIGGER WARNING!

matt9112

I don't believe so my family and I were in there on Saturday my youngest sister is 13 didn't seem to be a problem. Saw other children in there as well.

you don't have to be drinking to be in the building period.

loved the projector showing how amazing the place once was. think about how many technology's family's might have seen for the first time ever at epcot and now it's just bleh.
watch us kill a park and sell you merch about it.

the place used to be so majestic and now it's meh. half the year it's a drink fest of some kind and else wise it's just a shell.

FoodRockz

I recall being there one year recently with old AAs on display inside the Odyssey building. I took a few pictures and loved seeing the Kitchen Kabaret performers, etc. again. I thought this would be similar, not a really sad/boring photo gallery.

Mickey5150

If I was Disney I would never do anything to the parks. Every time anything happens all people do is complain constantly. Let it all rot, then the parks would match the attitude of it's fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff456

If I was Disney I would never do anything to the parks. Every time anything happens all people do is complain constantly. Let it all rot, then the parks would match the attitude of it's fans.
It's not change some of us are against it's the demise of epcot center as we currently know it and future World in particular... Epcot does not need to be full of ips... I think most of us recognise change was needed but I think some of us just hoped the changes would keep the spirit of Epcot,and despite what was said at D23 they are not keeping that spirit or idea at all.

danheaton

Wow. I'd rather just get out my copy of Walt Disney's Epcot: Creating the New World of Tomorrow than see these photos. The pictures they used look fine; there just isn't much there. It doesn't surprise me given the recent approach to old EPCOT Center, but this seems too basic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom