Studios projection towers getting more details

Goofyernmost

I disagree to an extent. we shouldn't tear Disney apart for what these towers do or don't look like but at the same time its our opinions and thay of guests that separate Disney from six flags. all of these little details independently are insignificant but together they create the experience known as Disney. There is a standard one this company itself set and if it falls short it should be a noted.
Agreed, but, determining if something falls short is completely objective and should be in line with function and purpose. A lot of the discussion has been how disappointed people are with basically a nicely painted utility pole. I think it measures up to every Disney Standard for anything that is used to strictly create a show. Not even a prop, but, more inline with stage lights. So opinions are fine, but, I just expressed my opinion about how superficial it all seems to me. More like an effort to find fault when there really is no fault at all. To me it's like saying... those sidewalks need more theming or those trolley rails should be made of gold or the grass color clashes with some of the signs.

jt04

Universal is winning when it comes to projection tower theming.

Nice to see Disney responding to the competition though.

Sir_Cliff

Agreed, but, determining if something falls short is completely objective and should be in line with function and purpose. A lot of the discussion has been how disappointed people are with basically a nicely painted utility pole. I think it measures up to every Disney Standard for anything that is used to strictly create a show. Not even a prop, but, more inline with stage lights. So opinions are fine, but, I just expressed my opinion about how superficial it all seems to me. More like an effort to find fault when there really is no fault at all. To me it's like saying... those sidewalks need more theming or those trolley rails should be made of gold or the grass color clashes with some of the signs.
What gets me is that people seem angrier about the blue tower. At least that one fits with Art Deco design and is a little visually interesting. The other tower (which is ultimately fine) could be a drive-in window for a suburban El Pollo Loco.

Magic Feather

Universal is winning when it comes to projection tower theming.

Nice to see Disney responding to the competition though.
Eh. They kind of had annet zero. The One in the center was fantastic... But for every masterpiece is one of these:
image.jpeg
(Photo by @bioreconstruct)

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, December 2, 2017. While not all sides have been updated, additional design details have been added to the blue projection tower (pre-cast concrete). Now, the two towers match their respective sides of the park. The art deco blue tower is similar to the Frozen Sing-Along theatre architecture, and the beige, tile-roofed tower is similar to the Brown Derby building.

IMG_0282.JPG

Slowjack

Again, I give them points for effort. I don't know if this was in the works from the beginning, or if someone looked at those bunkers and decided that something had to be done. I have to assume the latter, since if one planned to theme them from the start, one would have come up with a design more suitable to theming. As it stands, the buildings don't really look like anything recognizable. One of them looks like a guard tower for a high-security retirement community, while the other looks like the last Lego brick from a set someone is throwing away. The way they randomly intersect the fencing and planters doesn't help things.

Last edited:

Rteetz

Photo update as of Saturday, December 2, 2017. While not all sides have been updated, additional design details have been added to the blue projection tower (pre-cast concrete). Now, the two towers match their respective sides of the park. The art deco blue tower is similar to the Frozen Sing-Along theatre architecture, and the beige, tile-roofed tower is similar to the Brown Derby building.

View attachment 247713
That's very busy...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom