Some Grand Floridian Resort restaurants closed this week

ninjaprincesst

I would be willing to bet the mortgage payment that no one is losing a character meal for quick service. They may get a different characters at a different location or the same characters at a different location. If Disney cancelled your reservation, they will fix it, some how, some way. I thought everyone here has eternal faith in Disney doing the right thing.?

My point is people here get their shorts in bunch needing to know why a restaurant closed for maintenance, why some QS locations use different size cups for free water, etc...etc... The why really doesn't matter. There will be disappointment, yes. How it's remediated is much more important than why.
You might get some ADR at last minute but a character meal is no gonna happen, and when you have had kids hopped up for Cinderella and at the last second no Cinderella, I think you deserve to know exactly why your ADR that you have had for 180 days just got cancelled, especially since your whole trip is planned out at this point.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You might get some ADR at last minute but a character meal is no gonna happen, and when you have had kids hoped up for Cinderella and at the last second no Cinderalla, I think you deserve to know exactly why your ADR that you have had for 180 days just got cancelled, especially since tour whole trip is planned out at this point.

Here is the crux of why I DESPISE how WDW is being run. Disney expects you to plan your activities MONTHS in advance and yet they reserve for themselves the right to scrub the activity at the last moment with no recourse for the guest.

If the place was NOT being run like its going out of business there would be openings elsewhere But hey we cant staff a restaurant like a restaurant we have only enough staff to cover the AdRs

Disone

You might get some ADR at last minute but a character meal is no gonna happen, and when you have had kids hoped up for Cinderella and at the last second no Cinderalla, I think you deserve to know exactly why your ADR that you have had for 180 days just got cancelled, especially since tour whole trip is planned out at this point.
Actually this isn't the case. For the Character Breakfast they hosted The Character Breakfast in citricos. If you didn't want such as you could have been rebooked at other Character Breakfast locations. Yes Character Breakfast locations. Character Breakfast locations. For dinner they put the characters in the lobby for everyone to enjoy. If they still wanted to have dinner out of location nicer than Gasparilla Grill they had their choice of narcoossee's or citricos whose prices were adjusted to be more in line with 1900 Park Fare for Guess Who had reservations there.

21stamps

It's not like you can't just walk around Seven Seas Lagoon and reach 2 other TS restaurants or take a monorail and reach 2 MORE TS restaurants....
Not so easy if one has small fry in tow

Yes, it is. Especially when you can hop on the launch at GF and go directly to Poly. No monorail/security required, less crowded and much faster.

tribbleorlfl

For what it's worth, about 10 years ago I had made an ADR at California Grill for our 5th Anniversary the moment I could. About a week before, I got a call from a manager apologizing that they had to cancel our reservation as a corporate client had just bought out the restaurant that night.

They didn't just let us "fend for ourselves," she personally set us up for a reservation at the Concourse Steakhouse, who in turn comped our champagne and dessert.

Granted, that was a while ago, but I'm sure they will still do everything possible to accommodate these situations when unforseen complications force the closing of a location.

ninjaprincesst

Actually this isn't the case. For the Character Breakfast they hosted The Character Breakfast in citricos. If you didn't want such as you could have been rebooked at other Character Breakfast locations. Yes Character Breakfast locations. Character Breakfast locations. For dinner they put the characters in the lobby for everyone to enjoy. If they still wanted to have dinner out of location nicer than Gasparilla Grill they had their choice of narcoossee's or citricos whose prices were adjusted to be more in line with 1900 Park Fare for Guess Who had reservations there.
Im sorry but a child who is looking forward to a Cinderella dinner at 1900 Park Faire is not going to be happy getting a 2 second interaction with a character in a lobby where they are mobbed by people and then having to eat at some stuffy adult restaurant when the have been told for 6 months they are going to 1900 park Faire that has some of the best character interaction of all character meals, heck my daughter is a teenager and if I told her we were eating at either of those places she would tell me "um no were not". My point is people got up in the middle of the night 6 months in advance to make this for their kids and then at the last second, oops sorry. And also, there is a big difference in adults getting shifted from one generic place to another and kids being told oops no more Cinderella, a lot of people book 1900 Park Faire dinner because they couldn't get into the castle, so this was like the double whammy for a lot of kids.

Last edited:

Disone

Im sorry but a child who is looking forward to a Cinderella dinner at 1900 Park Faire is not going to be happy getting a 2 second interaction with a character in a lobby where they are mobbed by people and then having to eat at some stuffy adult restaurant when the have been told for 6 months they are going to 1900 park Faire that has some of the best character interaction of all character meals, heck my daughter is a teenager and if I told her we were eating at either of those places she would tell me "um no were not". My point is people got up in the middle of the night 6 months in advance to make this for their kids and then at the last second, oops sorry. And also, there is a big difference in adults getting shifted from one generic place to another and kids being told oops no more Cinderella, a lot of people book 1900 Park Faire dinner because they couldn't get into the castle, so this was like the double whammy for a lot of kids.
That's not what happened. You clearly were not in the lobby. It was a meaningful interaction not just a 2-second passed by. And lines were short and pleasant. Let's try not to be so dramatic there's no child here who's been scarred for life because Park Fare was closed for a night.

Tony the Tigger

Sounds like a great opportunity to teach children a lesson about having realistic expectations and being gracious.

PrincessJulia1207

Could be minor health code violations = cleaning/treating for pests
tumblr_mi0dlcRZKm1s3qv2qo6_250.gif

ratatouille-ratatouille-33317334-245-131.gif
tumblr_n143ccUvR61tsa1opo1_250.gif

AngieMHF

I just got back from the Grand Floridian. We stayed a week. These closures for maintainable also affected guests staying in the sugar loaf concierge building. Half way through our trip they closed and we had to be ordering room service for breakfast. You could imagine our disappointment. I also herd other guests complaining about their character breakfast experiences. They were disorganized and were in other floors since they had closed the restaurants. It was very chaotic.

COProgressFan

I just got back from the Grand Floridian. We stayed a week. These closures for maintainable also affected guests staying in the sugar loaf concierge building. Half way through our trip they closed and we had to be ordering room service for breakfast. You could imagine our disappointment. I also herd other guests complaining about their character breakfast experiences. They were disorganized and were in other floors since they had closed the restaurants. It was very chaotic.

Wow, that sounds frustrating. Having stayed in Sugar Loaf before, there is very little reason to do concierge other than the food/snack offerings. Was there a corresponding reduction in your room rate? If not, there certainly should have been.

I know, unexpected things happen. But the guest service recovery here sounds lacking. And before anyone starts to explain that guests received (presumably free) room service, there is a huge difference between putting in a room service order, waiting for it to arrive, then eating in your room vs. heading to the lounge for a quick breakfast or snack throughout the day. I'd be quite disappointed as well.

AngieMHF

Wow, that sounds frustrating. Having stayed in Sugar Loaf before, there is very little reason to do concierge other than the food/snack offerings. Was there a corresponding reduction in your room rate? If not, there certainly should have been.

I know, unexpected things happen. But the guest service recovery here sounds lacking. And before anyone starts to explain that guests received (presumably free) room service, there is a huge difference between putting in a room service order, waiting for it to arrive, then eating in your room vs. heading to the lounge for a quick breakfast or snack throughout the day. I'd be quite disappointed as well.
Actually there was no room rate reduction, or transfer from one building to the other, at least for my handicap mom. They did offer to pay for our breakfast room service for the next 3 days. It was a hassle, however, I had to be waking up extra early just to receive our food on time. Your right extra room service does not make it any better. Especially with a handicap and 3 hungry kids.

ninjaprincesst

That's not what happened. You clearly were not in the lobby. It was a meaningful interaction not just a 2-second passed by. And lines were short and pleasant. Let's try not to be so dramatic there's no child here who's been scarred for life because Park Fare was closed for a night.
Maybe not but when a child has been told for 6 months that they are eating with Cinderella, Im sorry a crappy meet in greet in the lobby that everyone has access too is not the same, and people such as those of us in Texas have to be up and ready to make ADR by 5am, and after all that your given a last second sorry, that's crap, and no they may not be scared, but it still ruins their trip and eating at one of the other generic Mickey Mouse character meals is not the same, nor is eating at some boring who cares adult foodie place, yeah kids are just lining up for that. My point is when people have ADR 6 months in advance there should have been some type of compensation given to these people.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Maybe not but when a child has been told for 6 months that they are eating with Cinderella, Im sorry a crappy meet in greet in the lobby that everyone has access too is not the same, and people such as those of us in Texas have to be up and ready to make ADR by 5am, and after all that your given a last second sorry, that's crap, and no they may not be scared, but it still ruins their trip and eating at one of the other generic Mickey Mouse character meals is not the same, nor is eating at some boring who cares adult foodie place, yeah kids are just lining up for that. My point is when people have ADR 6 months in advance there should have been some type of compensation given to these people.

And as ive said so many times before a REAL hotel chain would have done something to compensate its guests for the loss of a long planned experience.

Literally ONLY Disney can get away with pulling these kinds of stunts because WE as customers allow them to. Well I dont any longer

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
For what it's worth, about 10 years ago I had made an ADR at California Grill for our 5th Anniversary the moment I could. About a week before, I got a call from a manager apologizing that they had to cancel our reservation as a corporate client had just bought out the restaurant that night.

They didn't just let us "fend for ourselves," she personally set us up for a reservation at the Concourse Steakhouse, who in turn comped our champagne and dessert.

Granted, that was a while ago, but I'm sure they will still do everything possible to accommodate these situations when unforseen complications force the closing of a location.

That was 5 years ago, Now it would be reservations cancelled due to 'maintenance' have a magical day

Disone

Maybe not but when a child has been told for 6 months that they are eating with Cinderella...... My point is when people have ADR 6 months in advance there should have been some type of compensation given to these people.
Again with the "its about the children" dramatics! enough already. There was PLENTY of accommodations made. I know you want to believe they just decided to off guests because they can but nothing could be further from the truth.

Last edited:

Disone

And as ive said so many times before a REAL hotel chain would have done something to compensate its guests for the loss of a long planned experience.

Literally ONLY Disney can get away with pulling these kinds of stunts because WE as customers allow them to. Well I dont any longer

That was 5 years ago, Now it would be reservations cancelled due to 'maintenance' have a magical day

What they did five years ago they also did last week.

Tony the Tigger

Actually there was no room rate reduction, or transfer from one building to the other, at least for my handicap mom. They did offer to pay for our breakfast room service for the next 3 days. It was a hassle, however, I had to be waking up extra early just to receive our food on time. Your right extra room service does not make it any better. Especially with a handicap and 3 hungry kids.

I guess it's all perspective. I would think I can order something better from the menu than what is sitting out at the concierge station.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Again with the "its about the children" dramatics! enough already. There was PLENTY of accommodations made. I know you want to believe they just decided to **** off guests because they can but nothing could be further from the truth.

The people actually staying onsite during this event appear to disagree that adequate accommodations were made.

NDisney simply does not care about guest experience any longer, Disney has your money and that's the only thing that matters to Disney any longer.

Ferengi rule of acquisition #1 - once you have their money never give it back.

The Ferengi were supposed to be a caricature of capitalism, Disney thinks their ideas are simply 'good business practices'

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom