Thomas Mazloum named Senior Vice President, Resorts and Transportation Operations at WDW

jt04

I don't see the monorail going away. I could eventually see it being resort only (to a degree). Maybe.

Yes, an MK resort line and a Tomorrowland to Future World Line. The later wouldn't necessarily have to use current technology. Just the beams. Just sayin.

montyz81

Yes, an MK resort line and a Tomorrowland to Future World Line. The later wouldn't necessarily have to use current technology. Just the beams. Just sayin.
The tomorrowland to future world line would require investment. Not something Disney is willing to do for the Monorail

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Is this normal to see high executives just switching from job position to job position?

Its based on the logical fallacy that a good manager can manage anything. Its interesting how the MBA has morphed it was orignally a night course to teach professionals the language if business after being promoted from an operational role to managment.

Now its taken that anyone who has one is qualified to manage a large organization

WDW1974

Yes we will, But if Sam Lau was any example well he'll be wishing for his old job back, Recall Sam Lau a REAL transportation guy got slapped down HARD when he tried to change things at Disney Transportation and they stuck him over in EPCOT with nothing to do.

No, but they also gave him HKDL because they wanted an Asian face ...this move does seem inline with a desire to improve both resorts and transport. Whether he can do so, that's another matter.

WDW1974

Couldn't agree More. The Monorail is too integrated into the environment. If they do dismantle it, they would then need to change the entire resort name to Bob Iger's World or possibly Disney Invester's World because it will no longer have a good working connection to Walt Disney's original plan for the area, E.P.C.O.T.

You actually think anyone in key positions of power at TWDC gives a damn about Walt Disney and his vision for EPCOT?

That is cuter than Baby Groot ... so adorable.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The monorail isn't going anywhere near term. But why exactly do you think it's some sort of sacred cow when it's been treated like ground chuck over the last 20 years?
You really have become jaded if you even think that there is any chance of the monorail going away.

EricsBiscuit

Well right now they have like 4 monorails in the shop under refurbishments and repair so it's not like they are letting them rot. They just recently replaced the bellows on one of the monorails and painted others, so they obviously maintain them.

SteamboatJoe

I hope improving the bus system is a priority. I have had numerous waits of 20+ minutes this week while staying at Port Orleans Riverside. Seems like the demand for buses to return to the resort in the evening has been disproportionately large yet the number of buses offered has remained constant.

While I understand running a bus system that large is not easy, it really seems like more can be done. If they can track my every move I make on property with a plastic band, they should be able to recognize when buses need to be rerouted to service resort pick up areas at the parks with significant lines. Do they currently monitor demand in real time at all?

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
You really have become jaded if you even think that there is any chance of the monorail going away.
What you call jaded I call pragmatic. I don't think it's likely anytime soon, but I do think it's very possible that one day the cost to maintain the system will outweigh the benefits in the eyes of management. The MK loop beams are almost 50 years old now, not to mention the challenges and risks associated with safely and quickly evacuating guests at certain spots on the beam.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I hope improving the bus system is a priority. I have had numerous waits of 20+ minutes this week while staying at Port Orleans Riverside. Seems like the demand for buses to return to the resort in the evening has been disproportionately large yet the number of buses offered has remained constant.

While I understand running a bus system that large is not easy, it really seems like more can be done. If they can track my every move I make on property with a plastic band, they should be able to recognize when buses need to be rerouted to service resort pick up areas at the parks with significant lines. Do they currently monitor demand in real time at all?

They probably do monitor demand but once El Ratton has you trapped in the bubble without independent transportation whats the incentive to provide any level of service beyond the minimum level thats enough to prevent people from renting cars

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
What you call jaded I call pragmatic. I don't think it's likely anytime soon, but I do think it's very possible that one day the cost to maintain the system will outweigh the benefits in the eyes of management. The MK loop beams are almost 50 years old now, not to mention the challenges and risks associated with safely and quickly evacuating guests at certain spots on the beam.

The NYC subway system is almost 115 year old and faces many of the logistical challenges that the WDW monorail has, albeit on a larger scale. The basic infrastructure if maintained will support an extended life time. Consumables such as vehicles have a fixed lifespan. The real test for the future of the system will be when these consumables need to be replaced. Then it will be a purely financial decision by the bean counters as to whether the system stays or goes. Also don't think for a second that the automation system means that the system is here to stay. That was put in because they were forced to do it.

jbolen2

I'm still shocked they haven't started charging people to ride the monorail that aren't staying at a monorail resort.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Let's take this potential positive further....

They are putting a person with experience with an ultra luxury line on top of Resorts AND Transportation.

Transportation is part of the Experience as well. And in many cases it has been an unpleasant one.

We'll find out.....

Maybe this is what @marni1971 was referring to with regard to some new form of transportation (that isn't monorail, light rail, gondola, or buses). They're going to put in between the parks and resorts... cruise ships!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm still shocked they haven't started charging people to ride the monorail that aren't staying at a monorail resort.

They mostly do. It's called charging for parking at the TTC.

MK is set up so that if you're not staying at Disney resort (which charges a premium as a sort of hidden resort fee for transportation), you have to first go to the TTC. And the only way to get to the MK from the TTC is ferry or monorail. And they both need each other to handle opening and closing crowds.

So, no, WDW will never charge to ride the monorail (besides already doing so in premium resort fees and TTC parking).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom