Bayou Pirate Adventure cruise discontinued at Disney's Port Orleans Resort

surfsupdon

It's a shame the water mice/sprite boats are so overpriced at this time. Growing up, the waterways were filled with kids driving boats. Driving a sprite at CBR was part of our daily activities. It was fun and super easy to do. Also, it added a bunch of movement, kinetic energy, and color to the Resorts. I remember you would rent one, but you'd have to come back at the designated time when it was available-there was demand!!

Then the prices drastically went up. And useage stopped. Then it was halted. Then water craft rentals were mostly discontinued. And that's sad.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Good question. Why has there been a significant decline in water usage? I remember bay lake was filled with boats amd colorful boats. What happened?

Because prices of watercraft rentals have been jacked to the sky, they are so expensive no one wants to pay the rental fee The water mice are 64/Hour and the Whalers and Pontoon boats are 90/Hour - who is gonna rent at those prices.

thomas998

I would assume that ever since the alligator attack last June at the GF people have become less interested in water sports, but that's just a guess.
I think another contributing factor was the slow speed they were set to... I remember then back in the 80's and they went faster back then, but I think it was around 2010 I took my daughter on one and was amazed at just how terribly slow they were. I just assumed they had had an accident at some point and the lawyers made them set speed limits on them that made them safer... but also made them insanely boring to use.

surfsupdon

Good question. Why has there been a significant decline in water usage? I remember bay lake was filled with boats amd colorful boats. What happened?

It's the price. We WANT to rent the boats, but they are so darn expensive and not worth the cost. There was a time in the late 90s that you could buy the Captain's Plan at CBR for $99, that gave up to 5 people unlimited use of watercraft and bicycles (unlimited in 30mins or 60mins increments). It was a sweet price and we took advantage of the recreation almost daily. If we weren't in a boat (sprite, tube, paddle, kayak, canoe, sail) we were riding bicycles. It's what we kids did.

It's so sad to see the marinas at Moderates closed, and the boats all docked at the Deluxes. The price point is ridiculously, far too high.

thomas998

It's the price. We WANT to rent the boats, but they are so darn expensive and not worth the cost. There was a time in the late 90s that you could buy the Captain's Plan at CBR for $99, that gave up to 5 people unlimited use of watercraft and bicycles (unlimited in 30mins or 60mins increments). It was a sweet price and we took advantage of the recreation almost daily. If we weren't in a boat (sprite, tube, paddle, kayak, canoe, sail) we were riding bicycles. It's what we kids did.

It's so sad to see the marinas at Moderates closed, and the boats all docked at the Deluxes. The price point is ridiculously, far too high.
The boat rentals aren't a bargain but honestly they aren't that high, where I live renting a boat is only about $5/half hour cheaper... If I knew the larger 6 person boats could actually move faster than a snail I would probably rent one on a future trip... But after being stuck in one of the little ones where I could have gone faster in a canoe I'm not willing to take the risk.

surfsupdon

Other than, liability insurance going up, does anyone know what caused the dramatic rise in rental rates?
There WAS demand. For example, we would go to the marina in the afternoon, say 12pm, to rent two sprites. We'd sign up and they would tell us to return at 1pm....so we'd go play in the pool. Barefoot Bay was packed with boat activity. Motor, paddle, and sail! No exaggeration!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom