'Highway in the Sky Dine Around' combines monorails and restaurants

EvilQueen-T

The price point doesn't bother me at $150 per person. Depending on of course what the "special Chef’s main course selection" will actual be. Also, I'd like to know what the "libations" will be and are they all you can drink or just [insert number here] you receive.

We monorail resort hop about twice a month just doing appetizers & (adult) beverages. So this is basically the same deal we do (on our own) though you are guaranteed seating of course at Citricos with this deal. Which has never been an issue for us as we are only two anyway. Still. The cost does seem pretty good for what you will be receiving.

If you look at the lowest priced meal on Citricos dinner menu is $30.00 with the Seared Tofu. However, I doubt that would be the chef's main course selection for this deal. The highest meal is the filet at $49.00.

The average price, not the lowest, the average price for an appetizer at most of these resort stops is somewhere around $14.00. So you get an appetizer at the first & second stop with the chef's main course selection.

With tax this deal would be $159.75. Though valet ($25.00 at resorts) is included, so the meal(s) are really $134.75 taking off the $25.00 for valet.

If you went to each of these resorts on your own, going off an average cost of appetizers and a meal at Citricos. You could go off this I was quickly throwing together:

Valet (if you chose to) | $25.00
Appetizer at the Contemporary | $14.00
Appetizer at the Poly | $14.00
Dinner at Citircos | $49.00 (high end)
Appetizer/Desert at the Contemporary | $14.00
TOTAL | $116.00

Overall, this is not a bad price point considering the guaranteed seating at Citricos & for Wishes at the Contemporary. With a group of people. I assume this will feel more like a cruise ship excursions than it will anything else. Depending on how many other guests are in your group of course.

Something we are going to do at least once to see how it is here soon.

They also do a cheese spread and champagne after the Citricos meal so if you counted that at the same price of a cheese board plus the alcohol the price seems pretty reasonable for something disney too.

drizgirl

It's a big patio - the width of the Grand Canyon Concourse - there are benches on one side and smoking
FP7wbAJ65YMPZPimlfN-hlkic_2MlpRTJ7UGBCF2t9I.jpeg

and the MK side has some (12) permanent seats facing the MK.

wishes-fireworks.jpg

So I'd love to hear an update on this. I haven't watched Wishes from this deck but really wanted to on my next visit. Am I to assume that they are roping off the section with the seats for the dining event? How much space is left behind the roped off section before the view is blocked by the monorail beam?

Minthorne

EvilQueen-T

The poster on the touring plans blog tallied up his food at about $142 if he were to order each item at each stop but didn't include the free valet parking so overall for the price of $150 then include anything you'd consider a bonus for the atmosphere, access to the monorail, and a save place to watch the fireworks, it sounds like at least a fair pricing (if you can ever call any theme park pricing fair lol). I've booked my hubby and I on March 7th (it was the first open date) and I'm giving it to him plus a night stay at the Contemporary for a Christmas gift so after reading the blog I'm thinking we'll have a nice evening.

21stamps

The poster on the touring plans blog tallied up his food at about $142 if he were to order each item at each stop but didn't include the free valet parking so overall for the price of $150 then include anything you'd consider a bonus for the atmosphere, access to the monorail, and a save place to watch the fireworks, it sounds like at least a fair pricing (if you can ever call any theme park pricing fair lol). I've booked my hubby and I on March 7th (it was the first open date) and I'm giving it to him plus a night stay at the Contemporary for a Christmas gift so after reading the blog I'm thinking we'll have a nice evening.

That sounds wonderful! What a nice date night. Enjoy!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Any word or rumor of this continuing after March? Haven't read a really negative review yet and the price point is definitely better than most of the specialty offerings...

drwadadli

Has anyone here personally tried this yet? What is your opinion?

It seems pricey for would be cheaper to do by yourself. If you are DVC member, you would a better view at BLT DVC lounge versus the balcony off concourse at CR. Except for the special chef's menu, I am not really this is worth the extra money, and this is coming from someone that is a foodie and typically loves things like this.

jpeden

In the Parks
No

It seems pricey for would be cheaper to do by yourself. If you are DVC member, you would a better view at BLT DVC lounge versus the balcony off concourse at CR. Except for the special chef's menu, I am not really this is worth the extra money, and this is coming from someone that is a foodie and typically loves things like this.

All the reviews that have come in have said it was a wonderfully managed event with really good reviews on the food and drinks. Also, I've seen some breakdowns of the expected prices of all of these items a la carte and based on that the Dine Around is actually a pretty good deal.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member

All the reviews that have come in have said it was a wonderfully managed event with really good reviews on the food and drinks. Also, I've seen some breakdowns of the expected prices of all of these items a la carte and based on that the Dine Around is actually a pretty good deal.

Agreed. I've read about 8 different reviews and all have been very positive. Pricing-wise, everyone agrees that this is one of the only add ons that IS a value. If you actually add up the prices of each of the drinks and food (assuming you really eat and drink everything), you are pretty close to the break even point - add in that you are getting to meet the chefs at the different locations, a unique experience, at two locations can actually get 'more' food (desserts) and drinks (champagne), and valet parking...then you are talking about a decent value. Yes, there are better fireworks views, but I don't think that's why most are doing it. We are going in July and hoping they add more dates without increasing the price. Since they have already increased the number of days they are doing it in February and March, the demand is obviously very high. And, we all know what that means will happen to the price!

jpeden

In the Parks
No
They also do a cheese spread and champagne after the Citricos meal so if you counted that at the same price of a cheese board plus the alcohol the price seems pretty reasonable for something disney too.

There has been a major change in this event since it started.

The cheese and champagne reception in the tea room no longer occurs. You are now given a plastic goblet of champagne at the Citricos bar and you drink it in the lobby. The cheese board has been eliminated and cheese is now served at the buffet at the dessert party at the Contemporary.

When I emailed guest services about this I was told that the Tea room was not unavailable for this event and this was a permanent change and it would not be reversed. I do feel like you are really down to four courses now instead of five. Also, colloquial reports state the desserts have been reduced, but I haven't seen any hard evidence of this (they lady from GS says they were not).

I will say that I was given a pretty substantial comp to make up for the difference in the event I booked vs what they're offering now, so because of that I'll probably not cancel, but they aren't offering it to everyone and I just wanted to let people know the event has changed - and for most people it isn't for the better. I'm holding out until more reviews come in on if I will cancel or not.

drwadadli

Agreed. I've read about 8 different reviews and all have been very positive. Pricing-wise, everyone agrees that this is one of the only add ons that IS a value. If you actually add up the prices of each of the drinks and food (assuming you really eat and drink everything), you are pretty close to the break even point - add in that you are getting to meet the chefs at the different locations, a unique experience, at two locations can actually get 'more' food (desserts) and drinks (champagne), and valet parking...then you are talking about a decent value. Yes, there are better fireworks views, but I don't think that's why most are doing it. We are going in July and hoping they add more dates without increasing the price. Since they have already increased the number of days they are doing it in February and March, the demand is obviously very high. And, we all know what that means will happen to the price!
I would so love to do with you get to meet and talk to the chefs. That is one reason we did Victoria & Albert's Chef Table

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Just as an FYI, enough people complained to Disney/George Kalogridis' office that per reports of phone calls and first hand experiences, they put the event back to its original form.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
@wdwmagic any word on the success of this or if it will continue ?

FYI - it has been extended through the end of June. Two weeks off around Easter. Pretty much every day in May and June except Sundays and Mondays. There are a couple Saturdays that are off in there as well.

Jess G

FYI - it has been extended through the end of June. Two weeks off around Easter. Pretty much every day in May and June except Sundays and Mondays. There are a couple Saturdays that are off in there as well.

Awesome! thanks so much for letting me know!!

Jess G

yay!!! you made my day! I had no idea they continued this and almost bought tickets for the celebration at the top but this seems like a much better deal and sounds like the perfect way to end our trip

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Not sure if anybody is still following this event/thread, but...dates have appeared on the website for July through September (every Tuesday through Saturday). However, they do not appear to be open to booking, yet. Either that or magically in the past 24 hours every single day has been booked solid - which we know isn't true, the end of June dates were still available up until a couple weeks ago. Still hoping to score this for the first or second week of July.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom