Epcot parking lot closed due to reaching capacity (Sat Oct 22 2016)

donsullivan

Premium Member
All of the parks were busy today. The summer heat broke this weekend so lots and lots of people headed out to the parks. I was at Animal Kingdom this afternoon and it was absolutely packed. Headed over to studios later to see the fireworks and while not as bad it too was pretty crowded. the weather was just gorgeous today. Low 70's, low humidity and not a cloud in the sky.

BuddyThomas

Monorail related pukings will be up 78% tonight. Nothing says high class like getting tore up at a theme park, and Having personally been on the monorail in which 3 middle age and rather rotund women decided they could no longer hold their liquor is an experience that screams unforgettable magic.
Yeah right. You saw three people puke at once. Another tall tale from the Prohibition Wing.

disney4life2008

WS is Central Florida's bar.
I enjoy a few drinks as much as the next person - but I just don't understand the attraction of drinking to the point of getting wasted in WS when drinks run 10-15+ a pop. I guess I'm too cheap. :rolleyes:

That pic is insane. I wonder what it's going to be like in Dec.

I agree. And honestly the food is horrible. Just give me my fish and chips

invader

Just left. Got redirected around 5:30 to MK parking lot. We took the monorail over to Epcot and the parking lot wasn't full at all, wasn't really sure why it was closed. F&W really didn't seem any more packed than previous times we've been either.

NearTheEars

We went to DHS this afternoon to finally catch the Star Wars fireworks how. The park was quite busy, but wait times weren't too bad. Leaving the park, however, took forever. Big traffic jam at exit.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Yeah right. You saw three people puke at once. Another tall tale from the Prohibition Wing.

It was like a chain reaction, one started, then the next, and so on. It's ironic considering my party was headed to Trader Sams for some better drinks, and their party was headed to the parking lot where invariably they got in their car and hopefully were stopped by the OCSD before they killed someone.

TimeTrip

Just left. Got redirected around 5:30 to MK parking lot. We took the monorail over to Epcot and the parking lot wasn't full at all, wasn't really sure why it was closed. F&W really didn't seem any more packed than previous times we've been either.
I left the parking lot at around 5:30. While spots were available, they weren't a high percentage. The incoming flow of cars would have quickly filled them even if they were able to direct the cars to them. That's probably why they closed the parking, until the amount of empty spots and folks leaving would be greater than the amount of incoming cars.

Last edited:

HiYa Pal

I've been to F&W when it's literally shoulder to shoulder in all of WS (still not sure how there wasn't a phase shut down that day) and it's MISERABLE, I'd be curious to know if anyone here has been in EPCOT during a shut down, and just how insane it is? That park has to have the largest capacity just based on shear size....

IMFearless

I think the difficulty with Epcot specifically is that the park has always operated as two half parks with guests tending to verge more heavily to one area in the morning and another in the evening and afternoon.

Food and Wine merely intensifies this phenomenon and so while the park may not reach capacity in terms of turnstile clicks, World Showcase can end up extremely crowded while Future World is still manageable.

In some ways it would make sense if they could make the whole of World Showcase a one way system after 5pm. Literally, make Mexico exit only. Direct guests to enter on the Canada side only. Obviously this would bring it's own problems and so wouldn't really work.

Personally, I find the constant counter flow of foot traffic is what makes it feel uncomfortable, because my attention is permanently on collision avoidance rather than anything else, which is much less relaxing than when the park is less busy and you can take in the environment.

The Empress Lilly

I think the difficulty with Epcot specifically is that the park has always operated as two half parks with guests tending to verge more heavily to one area in the morning and another in the evening and afternoon.

Food and Wine merely intensifies this phenomenon and so while the park may not reach capacity in terms of turnstile clicks, World Showcase can end up extremely crowded while Future World is still manageable.

In some ways it would make sense if they could make the whole of World Showcase a one way system after 5pm. Literally, make Mexico exit only. Direct guests to enter on the Canada side only. Obviously this would bring it's own problems and so wouldn't really work.

Personally, I find the constant counter flow of foot traffic is what makes it feel uncomfortable, because my attention is permanently on collision avoidance rather than anything else, which is much less relaxing than when the park is less busy and you can take in the environment.
WS has some of the widest pathways of any theme park. The basic design is rock-solid. (Classic EPCOT remains the greatest park ever build)

The problem is the endless clutter. This is exacerbated at the Food & Swine festival, when the very booze booths that make navigation impossible draw shoulder to shoulder crowds.

Mediocre management, dwarfs, with an eye only for extracting every penny out of the paradise they inherited.

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
So are all of you saying I'm going to be miserable NYE?

NYE is certainly the busiest day of the year at Epcot but it can also be the most fun day if you let it.

The key to enjoying it is not going in with the mindset that if you don't get on a lot of attractions you're day is ruined, because you will not get on a lot of attractions; that's just the way it is. Take a break whenever you can since it will be a long day and just grab a drink and people watch. Pace yourself and enjoy the food of World Showcase. Grab some ADR's for both lunch and dinner because counter service locations will have epic lines all day. After the 6PM IllumiNations the party begins and despite the crowds it can be a whole lot of fun if you let it be. I've gone every year for the last 10+ and not once have I not had an amazing time. And the NYE show is without a doubt the very best fireworks show performed at WDW each and every year. Outside of a bad weather situation (I can't remember the last one) you are in total control of how much you enjoy it. If you are complaining about crowds all day, and complaining about lines all day you'll be miserable. If you accept it for what it is and ride it out throughout, it is one of the most amazing places on the planet to experience NYE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom