Gasparilla Island Grill Closing for Refurbishment

Buzz2001

2qcngh5.jpg

21stamps

@wdwmagic Do you know if it is scheduled to be open again next week?

I called yesterday about a dining reservation, mentioned that the counter service was closed where I was staying.. the phone rep told me that it is opening back up before Thanksgiving. She even put me on hold to call and double check. I wasn't convinced, so just decided to plan on it being down.

Then today I received this email from Disney-
IMG_4757.PNG

Galvatron

Any updates? AllEars is reporting a Dec. 14 re-opening. We leave for the GF on January 1 and would love Mizner's back in regular form.

freediverdude

They're already going to start switching out the soda machines again? They just implemented the cups with the chips not that long ago. Maybe the freestyle machines can use the same chips or something.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Is it just me? Am I missing something? Other than the Coke Freestyle machines, it looks the same....

COProgressFan

Is it just me? Am I missing something? Other than the Coke Freestyle machines, it looks the same....

They just did a major rehab (which was badly needed, by the way) a couple years ago. I'm guessing the guest facing areas just got a cleaning, painting etc.

Very often refurbs take place to replace back of house infrastructure. I have no knowledge that is what happened here, but it certainly is possible there was work that took place in kitchen areas, etc.

GrumpyFan

They're already going to start switching out the soda machines again? They just implemented the cups with the chips not that long ago. Maybe the freestyle machines can use the same chips or something.

Yes, the Freestyle machines have the chip readers.
Saw them in use over the weekend at French Quarter as well.
Glad to see them being rolled out across property!

Jon81uk

I think the RFID was retrofitted to the existing machines anyway. But yes they new machines also use RFID payment tracking.

AndrewsJ

The Freestyles have chip readers. There is a whole thread here ripping them to shreds. Personally we love them!

AshaNeOmah

The Freestyles have chip readers. There is a whole thread here ripping them to shreds. Personally we love them!

You love the chip readers or the Freestyle machines? I love Freestyle machine but can see no reason why any guest would love the RFID requirement.

I've probably bought four dozen mugs in the last 20 years and find the chips to be an unnecessary annoyance.

freediverdude

I like having the choices you get in the Freestyle machines, but the older machines are quicker for people to use and more than one person can use them at a time. With the Freestyles, each person has to navigate the choices on that touchscreen, which doesn't respond very well to the touches, so the process takes a long time for each person. In my opinion it takes 3-4 Freestyle machines to replace 2 of the older ones, while keeping the same level of service without people having to stand there and wait.

optjay

Two machines are not going to be able to serve the guests efficiently. there will be lines. must be a Disney mandated thing that everything must have a wait

tigger731

Two machines are not going to be able to serve the guests efficiently. there will be lines. must be a Disney mandated thing that everything must have a wait

I agree. Freestyle machines can be good ONLY when people know how to use them :) It is fun to watch people try to use them for the first time

bhg469

I like having the choices you get in the Freestyle machines, but the older machines are quicker for people to use and more than one person can use them at a time. With the Freestyles, each person has to navigate the choices on that touchscreen, which doesn't respond very well to the touches, so the process takes a long time for each person. In my opinion it takes 3-4 Freestyle machines to replace 2 of the older ones, while keeping the same level of service without people having to stand there and wait.
This sounds about right. Freestyle machines cause a bunch of confusion to a lot of people. When replacing a traditional fountain, its almost a must to have at least double the numbers.

Goofnut1980

I agree. Freestyle machines can be good ONLY when people know how to use them :) It is fun to watch people try to use them for the first time

It is a joke to watch people try and use them... as my partner always says- K.I.S.S - Keep It Simple Stupid... So with too many options will create too many lines. We will just sit down and giggle!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom