Gasparilla Island Grill Closing for Refurbishment

wdwfan22

Original Poster
I didn't see this posted anywhere else so I thought I would share for those with upcoming Grand Floridian resort visits. Gasparilla Island Grill will close Monday October 17 for refurbishment. The quick service restaurant located at Disney's Grand Floridian resort & Spa is expected to be temporarily closed through mid December.

• Mizner’s Lounge will offer grab and go selections including hot breakfast items while Gasparilla is closed from 6am to Midnight.
  • Cítricos Rotunda and Bar will serve as a lounge in the evenings.
  • The Beaches Pool Bar will also open at 6 am and remain open until 9 pm serving all meals.
  • Grand Floridian Café will offer a To Go menu

Last edited:

kane47

Any info on why the long rehab? Just down there at the end of Aug and everything appeared to be in good working order.

shipley731

Didn't they just do a refurb a few years ago & take over Mizner's? This makes me want to change my dinner reservation at the end of the month. I have a reservation at Narcoosee's and was planning on a couple of pre-dinner drinks at Mizner's. If Mizner's is going to be closed, I'll eat somewhere else.

wdwfan22

Original Poster
Didn't they just do a refurb a few years ago & take over Mizner's? This makes me want to change my dinner reservation at the end of the month. I have a reservation at Narcoosee's and was planning on a couple of pre-dinner drinks at Mizner's. If Mizner's is going to be closed, I'll eat somewhere else.

Yes they last renovated in 2012, so it is kind of strange that they will be doing another full closure. You will be able to use the lounge at Citricos during the renovation.

worldfanatic

Gasparilla's is a shockingly barren & boring themed counter service location for the "flagship" resort.
The don't need to install animatronic dancing girls or anything like that, but it'd be nice if they jazzed it up at least a little.

21stamps

LOL. I was all excited that I got 20% off with my new AP. Oh well.
So we can go to Citricos Bar and order food without reservations?

21stamps

Wait, what? Mizner's is going to be closed too>?

Does the beaches pool bar have breakfast? Wow, that's going to be a hike.

Looks like my room service bill just went up.

Edited to update-- just googled it. Grand Floridian Cafe will offer a to go menu and Mizner's will be doing their normal operating hours and menu after 6pm.

@wdwfan22 you may want to update the GF Cafe thing in the original post. It makes the closing seem less of a huge deal.
Where do we use/purchase our refillable mugs? At the pool?

Last edited:

shipley731

Yes they last renovated in 2012, so it is kind of strange that they will be doing another full closure. You will be able to use the lounge at Citricos during the renovation.

The Citrico's bar is barely big enough to hold the folks waiting for a table at Citrico's.

wdwfan22

Original Poster
The Citrico's bar is barely big enough to hold the folks waiting for a table at Citrico's.

I've never noticed any
Wait, what? Mizner's is going to be closed too>?

Does the beaches pool bar have breakfast? Wow, that's going to be a hike.

Looks like my room service bill just went up.

Edited to update-- just googled it. Grand Floridian Cafe will offer a to go menu and Mizner's will be doing their normal operating hours and menu after 6pm.

@wdwfan22 you may want to update the GF Cafe thing in the original post. It makes the closing seem less of a huge deal.
Where do we use/purchase our refillable mugs? At the pool?

If it's anything like during the last refurbishment, Mizner's will look more like a counter service restaurant then a lounge, this is why they offer Citrico's Rotunda as an alternative. During the last refurbishment of Gasparilla's there never seemed to be a problem with overcrowding either.

shipley731

I've never noticed any

If it's anything like during the last refurbishment, Mizner's will look more like a counter service restaurant then a lounge, this is why they offer Citrico's Rotunda as an alternative. During the last refurbishment of Gasparilla's there never seemed to be a problem with overcrowding either.
I changed my reservation from Narcoosee's to Capa for next Friday night. I'm not thrilled with the temporary conversion to a QS of Mizner's & the last two times I sat at the bar at Citrico's the service was horrible. (We got to Citrico's super early for our reservation. Let the check in desk know & told them we were happy to sit at the bar & have a drink to wait for our reservation time. We were told to come back in 40 minutes to get a pager. We watched repeatedly as people came up to the bar, got the bartender's attention, & order a drink only to have their pager go off as soon as the bartender walked away. The bartender couldn't keep up. We returned to the front desk 35 minutes later to pick up our pager & then proceeded to wait for 40 minutes to be called. We didn't bother trying to get another drink as we didn't want to order & then the pager go off. There was also a crowd of about 20 at the bar trying to get served. Just not worth the hassle.)

21stamps

I've never noticed any

Where are you getting the 6am- midnight qs at Mizner's? I'm trying to find it but what I read said until 6pm. I wish I knew which it is.

Will I receive an email or letter that let's us know what our options are?
Also, with GF Cafe offering takeout- is it a special menu or their regular one?

@wdwmagic do you have any info?

wdwfan22

Original Poster
Where are you getting the 6am- midnight qs at Mizner's? I'm trying to find it but what I read said until 6pm. I wish I knew which it is.

Will I receive an email or letter that let's us know what our options are?
Also, with GF Cafe offering takeout- is it a special menu or their regular one?

@wdwmagic do you have any info?

An internal memo list the operating hours for Mizner's Grab & Go from 6am to Midnight daily during the refurbishment.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Daveeeeed

Strange one this, since it just had am amor rework a few years back.

The food is nowhere near the standard it should be though, so perhaps there is a rework of the entire kitchen and menu. I can't imagine it would be decor again.
It could be in the kitchen, or the Grand Floridian structure itself.

sconti

The menu and overall kitchen layout needs to be totally overhauled in my opinion. I love the Grand Floridian Resort, but in terms of monorail counter service restaurants, Capt. Cook's and Contempo Cafe blow the current Gasparilla Grill out of the water.

A complete menu and kitchen overhaul is very needed in my opinion, especially for the flagship resort. I look forward to all three monorail resorts having good counter service restaurants when this refurb is done.

21stamps

Didn't know this was coming, so when we came back from MNSSHP looking for a bite nothing was open.
Are you there now?
Could you please take a photo of the room service menu? Also, is there any table somewhere near grand Floridian cafe to eat take out? Sorry to bother you but this info would be wonderful!! Thanks!!

dan8302

Are you there now?
Could you please take a photo of the room service menu? Also, is there any table somewhere near grand Floridian cafe to eat take out? Sorry to bother you but this info would be wonderful!! Thanks!!

No sorry we checked out Wednesday. No tables near the Grand Floridian Cafe that I noticed, either inside or on the veranda.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom