News Tomorrowland love

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Stitch has officially been abandoned for six years, and based on recent comments (or lack thereof), wouldn't be surprised if that revival idea has died and it's gonna continue to sit. An abandoned attraction in the world's most visited theme park, sitting at the very front of one of the lands.

But hey, the Shooting Arcade and Tom Sawyer Island, two neat experiences that while small, greatly add to both the park's offerings and atmosphere? Yeah they need to go.

🙃

Seems like a great place for a DVC lounge and we can keep the Frontierland Shooting gallery

But seriously, the challenge is the size of it...you either re-use the theaters for a similar layout, or gut it but not sure how much actual extra space you'd have (with the preshow rooms) for any decent sized attraction

Bocabear

OR... they go ahead with the Sugar Rush retheme of Speedway. With electric vehicles.

It'd create a nice transition from Tommorowland theming to Fantasyland theming.
I have been saying that for years! It would look amazing and be the perfect bridge between the two lands....but they would have to do some heavy theming and set pieces... Candy Mountain, King's castle etc.... ANd expand the route...take back some of what was taken away...

SplashJacket

OR... they go ahead with the Sugar Rush retheme of Speedway. With electric vehicles.

It'd create a nice transition from Tommorowland theming to Fantasyland theming.
Yeah that would work well too.

I know it’ll never happen, but I’ve always hoped for cosmic rays to be returns to a “battle bot diner” where it has actually good food. U.S. Asian fusion would be awesome, and then throw in the Baymax spinner or a larger BH6 dark ride over the speedway and perhaps some water.

Wreck it Ralph, along with Wall-E are on my longtime wish lists for Tomorrowland, and buzz is in a sad state so I would definitely appreciate the replacement. It’s long overstayed its welcome.

James Alucobond

I still think TRON's a better direction for the Speedway just to pull that theming farther into the land and potentially frame out the coaster a bit better. I don't think the transition between lands is ever going to be ideal simply because of Cosmic Ray's and Cheshire awkwardly facing each other.

Bocabear

That whole corridor with Starlight Ray's and the Speedway could be a whole thematic shift between Fantasyland and The Game Grid...Starlight Ray's could get a complete refresh to a Disney Gaming theme, They could create a new attraction for the old Alien Encounter based on Hero's Duty... It could be very cute and be better than a whole lot of nothing and decay.

Bocabear

The Speedway should have been redone when they built Tron and re-emerged as part of the Game Grid....That was the HUGE miss. They could have really done a lot with that...but now I think it has been too long and they seem to be done with anything TRON in Tomorrowland...so we have the Tron sticking out like a sore thumb in the 1970s futuristic Tomorrowland. It really of all the "lands" in Disney theme parks is about the worst right now.

SplashJacket

The Speedway should have been redone when they built Tron and re-emerged as part of the Game Grid....That was the HUGE miss. They could have really done a lot with that...but now I think it has been too long and they seem to be done with anything TRON in Tomorrowland...so we have the Tron sticking out like a sore thumb in the 1970s futuristic Tomorrowland. It really of all the "lands" in Disney theme parks is about the worst right now.
They could get really fancy with the Speedway. Make it into the Grid Cinematic Universe™️. Give it two sides like a Matterhorn with a Fantasyland side (Sugar Rush) and a Tomorrowland side (Tron).

Could actually work really well and minimize the clash with Tomorrowland.

aladdin2007

They need to get something in stitch. They keep mouthing thunder expansion bla bla but operate what you have already, its ridiculous. Same goes for tomorrowland terrace, but no everyone has to be uncomfortably packed into a couple of eating areas because the bean counters dont want to spend on operating anything. They are clueless that they are even running a theme park.

SplashJacket

They need to get something in stitch. They keep mouthing thunder expansion bla bla but operate what you have already, its ridiculous. Same goes for tomorrowland terrace, but no everyone has to be uncomfortably packed into a couple of eating areas because the bean counters dont want to spend on operating anything. They are clueless that they are even running a theme park.
I legitimately just don’t know what they could put in that space. It’s too small to do much beyond the existing theaters.

I don’t even know what I would want there. They should bring something back, absolutely, but I’m not sure what without it being crap like stitch.

Bring back Alien Encounter

Bocabear

Wreck It Ralph as the "bridge" from Fantasyland....And No, Wreck It Ralph doesn't fit in Tomorrowland either.... and actually neither does Monsters Inc, Stitch, Buzz Lightyear, or even Tron as none of these take place in the future....Aesthetically there is an argument for Tron....and maybe Buzz....

Brian

Wreck It Ralph as the "bridge" from Fantasyland....And No, Wreck It Ralph doesn't fit in Tomorrowland either.... and actually neither does Monsters Inc, Stitch, Buzz Lightyear, or even Tron as none of these take place in the future....Aesthetically there is an argument for Tron....and maybe Buzz....
The same argument could be made of Carousel of Progress, which spends 3/4 of the show in the past, and the finale scene in arguably the present, if not the recent past. Astro Orbiter is merely rockets, which is hardly futuristic anymore, and the Speedway isn't even close to "tomorrow;" it too is stuck in the past with its nauseating fumes and generic, "been there done that" concept which many even regional amusement parks have a version of.

Gusey

I've always considered Tomorowland as the land for Sci-Fi based attractions, not a land that can only have attractions set in the future. That's why Buzz (Set in Space), Stitch (Set in Space & uses Teleportation), Tron (Grid technology) and Monsters Inc (Portal to Monsters World, Renewable Energy) have made sense because their stories are based on sci-fi tech or space that wouldn't make sense in any other land in Magic Kingdom. Wreck-It Ralph would fit the Sci-Fi element by technology that would allow you to enter the video game

James Alucobond

I've always considered Tomorowland as the land for Sci-Fi based attractions, not a land that can only have attractions set in the future. That's why Buzz (Set in Space), Stitch (Set in Space & uses Teleportation), Tron (Grid technology) and Monsters Inc (Portal to Monsters World, Renewable Energy) have made sense because their stories are based on sci-fi tech or space that wouldn't make sense in any other land in Magic Kingdom. Wreck-It Ralph would fit the Sci-Fi element by technology that would allow you to enter the video game
By today’s standard, that’s sort of accurate, but it was originally much closer in spirit to Future World in EPCOT.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Gonna be honest, I'm not the most fond of Wreck-It-Ralph as a Tomorrowland IP. I'm of the mindset that a modern Tomorrowland can be futuristic and science fiction based aesthetically without needing to expressly represent future technology, but I think Wreck-it-Ralph presents an aesthetic issue similar to what is found in Buzz. Sure, the narrative idea of using technology to transport guests into a digital world/video game fits the land well enough (Tron) but the locales in the film present an aesthetic clash with the already clashing aesthetics of Tomorrowland. Sugar Rush is the most memorable location in the film (evidenced by Tokyo's concept presented) and I think the candy colors and aesthetics of it don't match TL. I like Buzz as a concept, a peacekeeping force of space soldiers shooting evil aliens, but the flat sets, Viewmaster, and giant batteries all seem to create the vibe that these are still toys and the whole ride could be a play-set in Andy's imagination. I understand the desire to add those elements in a vacuum, they're a fun homage to the source material, but their implications do not mesh with Tomorrowland as a whole.

I understand it's never coming back, but the TL'94 redo was impeccable. It made the land feel like an actual place with actual inhabitants. It framed everything as an alien spaceport with a power station, a convention center, several public transit hubs, a museum exhibit, a kinetic art installation, shopping and dining that all existed in one place and one time in one universe. Now, for better or for worse, it mirrors Adventureland or Fantasyland where a wide variety of visual aesthetics combine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom