Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory refurbishment starting July 11 to sometime in the fall

mgpan

So are some folks now outside the cancellation window if they booked a package and can't change resorts without penalty, or could they call and move?

JIMINYCR

I was always happy with POFQ's selection till I dined at PORS on night. So many more options!!
Same here. I asked one year , Wheres the spaghetti & meat ball dinner you had last time I was here? They said we dont have it anymore but they have it over at PORS. So I went on a walk and was amazed at all the choices there. Of course they have a much larger preparation area so they can give a better choice. It sure would be nice if POFQ could improve. Until they do, I'm fine with the evening stroll.

HRHPrincessAriel

Same here. I asked one year , Wheres the spaghetti & meat ball dinner you had last time I was here? They said we dont have it anymore but they have it over at PORS. So I went on a walk and was amazed at all the choices there. Of course they have a much larger preparation area so they can give a better choice. It sure would be nice if POFQ could improve. Until they do, I'm fine with the evening stroll.
It's actuall quite nice!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I saw this when it was first posted here, but I must have looked at it to quick because I didn't realize it went into the Fall until I got the letter today for our September trip. I normally don't use the food court for lunch or dinner, but I will miss is for breakfasts.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I am a little disappointed that Disney did not notify guests until only a few weeks before this change. Part of how we go about picking a resort includes the dining options. It is nice to have a cafeteria environment that is themed and established. Had we known about this sooner, we could have had enough time to still get a more favorable room at a different hotel. What's odd is this hotel is losing a key component, but is still not considered part of the summer savings deals.

I'm staying st POFQ from Sept 5-13, and I have not been notified of this closure. Does this mean it will be back up and running by my trip, or did Disney accidentally leave me off the notification list?

We're staying Oct 16-23 and received the notification email from Disney this morning, so I guess it's still closed until at least then.

We're staying POFQ 8/3-7, no email notification yet. Pretty disappointed about this, but I guess the silver lining is that it's an excuse to take the boat down to Disney Springs and do some exploring there instead...

Can I make a suggestion before you guys get too upset. Make a call directly to the French Quarter. Ask if they are using the Lounge or the former Bonfamille Cafe. IMO the Lounge and scattered tables just outside it is really too small to service the entire resort, they actually use the Lounge as overflow for Sassagoula during busy hours in the morning due to small seating area of that QS. As I said I was at the Former Bonfamille Cafe 2 years ago and it was still intact from closure in 2000 and likely so is their kitchen. I ask if the Resort will be utilizing Bonfamille Cafe seating area while Sassagoula is down for refurbishment. If that is the case it is really nice.

PO.org-Guest-Resort-20151221_170855_forum.jpg

This seating area was opened briefly under a new name over Christmas 2015 last year as Scats Cat's Cafe IMO a nice QS option for the refurb if that is where they are sticking it. They gave it a trial run 6 months ago, maybe in prep for the rehab. I'd ask you might not have anything to fear.

COProgressFan

Can I make a suggestion before you guys get too upset. Make a call directly to the French Quarter. Ask if they are using the Lounge or the former Bonfamille Cafe. IMO the Lounge and scattered tables just outside it is really too small to service the entire resort, they actually use the Lounge as overflow for Sassagoula during busy hours in the morning due to small seating area of that QS. As I said I was at the Former Bonfamille Cafe 2 years ago and it was still intact from closure in 2000 and likely so is their kitchen. I ask if the Resort will be utilizing Bonfamille Cafe seating area while Sassagoula is down for refurbishment. If that is the case it is really nice.

PO.org-Guest-Resort-20151221_170855_forum.jpg

This seating area was opened briefly under a new name over Christmas 2015 last year as Scats Cat's Cafe IMO a nice QS option for the refurb if that is where they are sticking it. They gave it a trial run 6 months ago, maybe in prep for the rehab. I'd ask you might not have anything to fear.

White tablecloths and cloth napkins at a Disney location?! Don't let the bean counters know! (Yes, I know it's an old picture...certainly shows how things have changed though, sadly).

Also, I believe the kitchen has been in use by Disney for a number of years for catering and as a test kitchen for all of WDW. So it is very much functional.

castlecake2.0

White tablecloths and cloth napkins at a Disney location?! Don't let the bean counters know! (Yes, I know it's an old picture...certainly shows how things have changed though, sadly).

That photo was actually from last Christmas! But based on the furniture and the Cast Member costumes in that pictures it looks like banquets was running the operation. I wonder if banquets approached POR and asked to use the space to make extra money or if POR wanted more capacity for the holidays and paid banquets to operate it? I wish it was used more that just a flex space, even if it was just a weekend operation.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

Also, I believe the kitchen has been in use by Disney for a number of years for catering and as a test kitchen for all of WDW. So it is very much functional.

Bonfamille was used at Christmas 2015, that is where those photo's I believe were taken during. We ate there frequently there until the resort closed down completely after 9/11 and when it reemerged it was without the TS restaurant. I do not have photo's from the 8 years we ate there with white table clothes so I'm thinking this was for Christmas 2015. I saw the facilities in 2014 and it was cluttered back then, like a storage room but very much intact.

LSUxStitch

I'm curious as to what they will be doing since it is a long refurb. Personally. I'm hoping it gets a decorative makeover. I'm not a fan the way this food court looks currently. The masks are kind of creepy and the white walls make it look a little like a school gym. I'm hoping the go for a warmer, richer look with festive decor.

But it's a float factory...have you ever been to a float factory before? (Even though us in New Orleans don't call them that lol)

Float Dens have creepy heads...its sort of what we do.

oirqi8o.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom