Pop Century Room Rehab

larandtra

SO Ill chime in here about the debacle we just had at Pop Century. I did the online check in, asked for a room in the 90s, ground floor, etc. Did everything just as I have each time we have stayed this year. Port Orleans, Boardwalk, Yacht Club. Absolutely zero issues at any of them. Usually had a text by 230 giving me the room number etc. I noted we would be there early ( around 130) so if early was available, we would take it. We got to the resort about 2 so we could explore a bit, since we have never looked around that resort before. At 3 I still had no text and went to the desk just to ask. I was told the room wasnt ready yet, it was being finished up. 330, no text, room still not ready. At 4 I was a bit irritated, by 430 I was rather unhappy. I called Disneys main ressie number and magically, they had a room number and said it was ready and that somehow we just never got the text. Go to the building, get to the room...Bands dont work. Someone comes out, opens the room..Hasnt been cleaned. At that point I called the front desk, got a manager, very nice young lady named Jessica, and the only thing Pop did right, was move me to a different resort at my request. I had pretty much had it with that resort and ended up at Animal Kingdom Lodge. So while it was handled well to get me moved, I will NEVER stay at a value resort on Disney property. We usually do Moderate or Deluxe, but, the price was really good when compared with off property options. I just know now why I personally avoid the economy resorts on property. Credit for them moving us and getting it resolved. Absolutely disastrous for them to not have it right in the first place. I would hate for this to happen to a first time guest or someone who doesnt go as often as we do. I think it would sour them on staying on property pretty badly.

peter11435

SO Ill chime in here about the debacle we just had at Pop Century. I did the online check in, asked for a room in the 90s, ground floor, etc. Did everything just as I have each time we have stayed this year. Port Orleans, Boardwalk, Yacht Club. Absolutely zero issues at any of them. Usually had a text by 230 giving me the room number etc. I noted we would be there early ( around 130) so if early was available, we would take it. We got to the resort about 2 so we could explore a bit, since we have never looked around that resort before. At 3 I still had no text and went to the desk just to ask. I was told the room wasnt ready yet, it was being finished up. 330, no text, room still not ready. At 4 I was a bit irritated, by 430 I was rather unhappy. I called Disneys main ressie number and magically, they had a room number and said it was ready and that somehow we just never got the text. Go to the building, get to the room...Bands dont work. Someone comes out, opens the room..Hasnt been cleaned. At that point I called the front desk, got a manager, very nice young lady named Jessica, and the only thing Pop did right, was move me to a different resort at my request. I had pretty much had it with that resort and ended up at Animal Kingdom Lodge. So while it was handled well to get me moved, I will NEVER stay at a value resort on Disney property. We usually do Moderate or Deluxe, but, the price was really good when compared with off property options. I just know now why I personally avoid the economy resorts on property. Credit for them moving us and getting it resolved. Absolutely disastrous for them to not have it right in the first place. I would hate for this to happen to a first time guest or someone who doesnt go as often as we do. I think it would sour them on staying on property pretty badly.
I'm sorry you had such a negative experience. I'll just point out that this type of situation is not exclusive to value resorts but can happen at any level of resort. I recently had a similar experience at a deluxe resort.

G00fyDad

One bad experience and you've written off the Values? I don't know you and I have no idea what type of a person you are but going by your post I'd say that you went to the resort locked and loaded for a problem. They mess up the announcement/contact that the room is ready a lot. From time to time a room gets missed during the blitzkrieg of housekeeping. Someone is going to end up with that room assigned to them. This situation you experienced has happened to us at Moderates before. It happens. It even happens at 4 and 5 star hotels I have stayed at elsewhere. I wonder if you would have the same reaction if the next high end deluxe resort you stay in does this same thing?

larandtra

I have had none of these issues at any of the other resorts so I can only attribute it to one resort. Not sure where you get the locked and loaded comment since I always show up early in order to walk around and unwind before beginning the trip. Noone goes to any vacation "expecting" issues. Far from it, I expect the resort to have their crap together. And as Ive stated, in multiple trips over the past 3 years, I have never had an issue, even prior to online check in. Therefore, for the money spent to stay in a "value" resort, the savings by staying off property for a lower price in a nicer resort overrides the need for an on property value resort for us. I can use that money for more food or other things. I make use of fast passes rather well and we have been so often that "must rides" do not exist. We go to enjoy Disney, the feel, the relaxed enjoyment. So if Im going to stay on property, Ill stay at a resort in Moderate or deluxe. Its my choice. But the stupidity of the "locked and loaded" comment is rather laughable.

G00fyDad

I have had none of these issues at any of the other resorts so I can only attribute it to one resort. Not sure where you get the locked and loaded comment since I always show up early in order to walk around and unwind before beginning the trip. Noone goes to any vacation "expecting" issues. Far from it, I expect the resort to have their crap together. And as Ive stated, in multiple trips over the past 3 years, I have never had an issue, even prior to online check in. Therefore, for the money spent to stay in a "value" resort, the savings by staying off property for a lower price in a nicer resort overrides the need for an on property value resort for us. I can use that money for more food or other things. I make use of fast passes rather well and we have been so often that "must rides" do not exist. We go to enjoy Disney, the feel, the relaxed enjoyment. So if Im going to stay on property, Ill stay at a resort in Moderate or deluxe. Its my choice. But the stupidity of the "locked and loaded" comment is rather laughable.

I was making a generalized comment about your original post in that you make it sound like you had a couple of minor issues and that is just the way "value" resorts are so you'll not lower yourself to stay at one again. But yeah... go ahead and call me stupid.

peter11435

I won't comment on his locked and loaded reference. I'll just point out again that the issues you had are just as likely to happen at any resort level even Moderate and Deluxe. They happen occasionally at all levels you just happened to first experience it at a value.

AndyS2992

I can't tell whether I love it or hate it. They look very sterile and lack that 'Disney' feel. Also the pull down bed doesn't look as plush and comfortable as the other and having to pull it down every night and keep moving the chairs is just going to get tedious on a 14 night trip. I like that the carpet has been removed for hygiene reasons however I get really bad blisters on our trips and walking on hard floor with blisters is gonna be very painful compared to walking on soft carpet. Also looking at the room with the second bed down just looks weird as the one bed has that huge wood frame whereas the other one doesn't so there's no symmetry and it bothers me. However looking at the the room with the second bed up does look very modern and pleasing to the eye.

allgiggles

I can't tell whether I love it or hate it. They look very sterile and lack that 'Disney' feel. Also the pull down bed doesn't look as plush and comfortable as the other and having to pull it down every night and keep moving the chairs is just going to get tedious on a 14 night trip. I like that the carpet has been removed for hygiene reasons however I get really bad blisters on our trips and walking on hard floor with blisters is gonna be very painful compared to walking on soft carpet. Also looking at the room with the second bed down just looks weird as the one bed has that huge wood frame whereas the other one doesn't so there's no symmetry and it bothers me. However looking at the the room with the second bed up does look very modern and pleasing to the eye.

Both beds have the exact same mattress so they're equally comfortable/uncomfortable (though every report I've read indicates that they're very comfortable). I hear ya on the symmetry thing, though.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Both beds have the exact same mattress so they're equally comfortable/uncomfortable (though every report I've read indicates that they're very comfortable). I hear ya on the symmetry thing, though.

The bed was comfortable. More comfortable than the last Hilton property I stayed in (where I literally woke up in back pain every night - and that has never happened to me before or since).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
and having to pull it down every night and keep moving the chairs is just going to get tedious on a 14 night trip. I like that the carpet has been removed for hygiene reasons however I get really bad blisters on our trips and walking on hard floor with blisters is gonna be very painful compared to walking on soft carpet.

I don't want to sound flippant, but why isn't leaving the bed down for two weeks and wearing socks at night until you go to bed an option?

AndyS2992

I don't want to sound flippant, but why isn't leaving the bed down for two weeks and wearing socks at night until you go to bed an option?
They are an indeed an option, I just assumed, for some reason, housekeeping would put the bed back up each day but thinking about it they probably wouldn't. Socks on carpet would still be more comfortable than socks on hard floor no?

Next Big Thing

They are an indeed an option, I just assumed, for some reason, housekeeping would put the bed back up each day but thinking about it they probably wouldn't. Socks on carpet would still be more comfortable than socks on hard floor no?
You could also ask the nice housekeeping person that they keep your bed down or call the front desk and ask that they make note of it. There are plenty of options and having the option to put/keep the bed up to allow for more space will please many.

Chef Mickey

I haven't seen pictures of the king rooms so I wanted to post them. We just checked into Pop today. We requested 90's and got 80's building 9 and walked in to pleasently find ourselves with a King bed!

We are really impressed with the refurb. We normally try to stay at a minimum moderate and sometimes deluxe if we can swing the cost. If we could be guaranteed rooms of this nature all the time at Pop, we would stay here a lot more. We aren't pool people so other than location and nicer rooms, the deluxe resorts don't have that much of advantage for us.

Below are the pictures:

Walk In Shower
View attachment 223468

Bathroom Storage
View attachment 223467

Sink Area
View attachment 223466

Table
View attachment 223465

TV/Dresser
View attachment 223464

King Bed
View attachment 223462

Fridge/Coffee Area
View attachment 223463

Closet Area
View attachment 223469

Bedside Table
View attachment 223474

Charging Area (on both sides of bed)
View attachment 223477
Thanks for the pictures. It looks outstanding.

Well done, Disney. I might have to go back to the values...

mitchk

Does anyone have a timeframe on when all the rooms will be finished? I know the permit runs out in December. Does anyone have any updates on the date for completion of the project? I'm not sure if the gondola construction slowed it down ...Thank you :)

beertiki

We were just there. We had a preferred room, and were told that none of the preferred rooms had been renovated. I did not notice any construction in the 60s

allgiggles

Does anyone have a timeframe on when all the rooms will be finished? I know the permit runs out in December. Does anyone have any updates on the date for completion of the project? I'm not sure if the gondola construction slowed it down ...Thank you :)

I believe Disney has stated that the project runs through April 2018 (which is end/pay date on the Notice of Commencement). However, if they continue to work at the snail's pace that they've been moving along at for the last ~6 months, we'll be lucky if they're finished by the end of 2018. I believe work began in early March and there are currently 2 (out of 10) buildings refurbished and back in inventory. A third building was rumored to be opening last week, but that hasn't happened yet. A small portion of a fourth building has just started the refurb process. I don't think the Gondola construction will have any affect on the refurbishment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom