Voyage of the Little Mermaid show at Hollywood Studios closing for 4 days in July

Bocabear

I wish it would close for good...it is tired...and now that we have an actual Little Mermaid Area it seems like a strange footnote and filler. I am sure it was designed to be a filler show until they came up with something better....and it has stayed for far too long. With the entrance to Toy Story Land coming to that area in...3-5 years, maybe they could put in a Toy Story themed show...that would make sense in that location...

Bolt

Believe this is related to construction - seems like One Mans Dream goes first, then this. Seems like a pattern.

clemmo

The OMD building should be staying. Curious indeed.

Unless it's nothing yet something affecting the complexes power or AC or similar. Remember the stores and the Mermaid theatre are all part of the one 1989 building.
Do you see VOLM continuing long term?

MrPromey

Not a fan of this, myself but I understand it's appeal.

Would be SO nice if they would replace the old, worn film that is in horrible, horrible condition with projection and replace the laser effects with projection mapping. These two steps alone could really bring the dated feel of this attraction into this century and I can't imagine it would be terribly expensive to do, either.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not a fan of this, myself but I understand it's appeal.

Would be SO nice if they would replace the old, worn film that is in horrible, horrible condition with projection and replace the laser effects with projection mapping. These two steps alone could really bring the dated feel of this attraction into this century and I can't imagine it would be terribly expensive to do either.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the projector went digital a year or two ago.

The lasers are great. Projection mapping is so overrated! IMHO of course.

Having the rain screen work reliably would be good.

MrPromey

Correct me if I'm wrong but the projector went digital a year or two ago.

The lasers are great. Projection mapping is so overrated! IMHO of course.

Having the rain screen work reliably would be good.

If it was last year, there's a good chance I missed it. I'm not a frequent flyer on this one. If so, BRAVO! That old grainy film that just kept getting worse and worse was embarrassing - really glad to hear someone there agreed!

In general, I like the style of the laser effect but feel that it needs to be used in context. The way they did it for a portion of test track looks good. doing something in Tomorrowland that uses it would look good. Spaceship Earth exterior? A classic. It feels out of place to me here, though.

I definitely feel that projection mapping in general is a bit overdone at Disney but this feels like one of the cases where it could be utilized well - a totally controlled environment and limited viewing angles and only as something that lightly augments the show. I think projection mapped animated fish would look more subtle and natural than the laser fish, only because I don't think it would stand out as obvious technology so much in a show that is fantasy/fairy tale but that's just my opinion.

The rain screen working reliably sounds like maintenance work which should be the minimum of what they do on a referb. I know these days, that kind of assumption out of TDO can lead to disappointment, though. :/

Last edited:

danyoung56

There used to be an effect that was just incredible, but sadly has been busticated for years. At the beginning of the show, these green lasers from all four corners of the theater would fan out and look like waves over your head. Then the four lasers would physically move up several feet, creating the illusion that the audience was submerging under the water. Very cool, and greatly missed.

peterpanic74

There used to be an effect that was just incredible, but sadly has been busticated for years. At the beginning of the show, these green lasers from all four corners of the theater would fan out and look like waves over your head. Then the four lasers would physically move up several feet, creating the illusion that the audience was submerging under the water. Very cool, and greatly missed.

That was indeed a very cool effect

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom