Typhoon Lagoon closed today (May 3) due to technical problems

CentralFLlife

I highly doubt this has anything to do with labor savings. A day of closure announcement would still have all cast members showing up to work.
We have a winner. When they do a day of closure everyone still gets paid for their scheduled shift. I believe CPs still get paid as well.

This probably had something to do with the 5 inches of rain that was dumped in a 2 hour timespan last night... with as spotty as rain showers can be in central FL blizzard could've received half that amount during the same storm. Large volumes of untreated water and pools do not mix very well together.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Well you have to understand the reputation they have over years and years and years. I'd like to say they are better today but a quick look at a certain social app in their area just pushes them back into that category. I do believe there are many who truly here to get a good experience. But when you have new-to-the-adult-world people all living together, many for the first time with no supervision, things get carried away very quickly, even if they DO work for Disney. There is no denying that kind of behavior goes on from any former or current CP. So it's easy to understand why people think that.

I understand, there is the tendency to lump these college students all into one mold and judge them all as a unit vs individuals. I've put two of my kids through college and frankly I don't see much of a difference from college dorms, college apartments to Disney Housing. When I look back my generation wasn't really much different in college, while we were educated we also had our share of fun in our college years on campus. I just missed the Baby Boomer generation but we kinda followed in their footsteps.

I can't say I ever stalked my kids on social media, not my thing but both turned out well, both have very good careers and my DS when he had finished college was offered a position as a trainer for incoming CPs which he turned down for a better position with corporate. As my son was quick to point out many cast members and supervisors just automatically disliked them because they were CPs and many went out of their way to make things difficult for them. Both times he was fortunate to have open minded, kind staff he worked with and the last one took them all in for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I met by accident one on a monorail to Epcot. We spent some time together and she only had kind things to say and I was appreciative of the care she took with these young recruits. She helped him refine his resume and wrote letters of recommendation for him. She sent him on a short stint for Baseball Spring Training to further his resume. So while I can appreciate your view of the CP students I have seen the flip side, the cast that wants them to walk away with a good experience and speak of them kindly and are helpful. Like I said it is an attitude that cuts both ways.

RSoxNo1

We know that they need to cut spending, but I'd think having a water park open in May is probably a good idea. I hope that Disney isn't fabricating these technical issues so that costs look better at the expense of profits.

Gabe1

I don't think its fair to judge the thousands of CPs that come through Disney via a phone application that lets users post gripes under the guise of "anonymity".

College is just that, it is a time of growth and that is part of the package Disney offers when they solicit college students. If International and CPs were the problem for TDC claimed here it would no longer exist. It keeps expanding so what does that really tell us? Sour grapes towards youth. Nothing new, it is a generational thing.

Still these students working the water parks have to pay rent and it is high. The first week my son was in his apartment he worked at a deficit and they just took more out of his next check. The first two weeks he worked at as CP he cleared less than $10.00. I sent money. This closing of water parks where so many CPs are employed is a new thing I have not seen before and I have empathy for all the employees of those parks.

I wouldn't take the criticism of your youth to heart. It is nothing new. My parents generation had nothing nice to say about the Baby Boomers either. It seems to be an age thing. I now qualify for AARP and my generation took pot shots at generation X just like my parents generation took pot shots at the Baby Boomers and Generation X's turn to hate on the Millenniums. Give it a decade or two and your generation will have a demographic that hates on the next generation. I hope when all is done and over with you enjoyed your CP as much as my son did and you take away great relationships with other cast members as my son experienced. As it should be.

Gabe1

Gripes would be fine. It's the constant begging for more hookups that fills the app. And it isn't "anonymity" when they post their housing name and even unit number, is it? No.

What does constant mean? Are you constantly monitoring the college students??? Why??? To what end? There are thousands of college students and Internationals. What percentage from all your research? In all seriousness I can't wrap my brain around as a mature adult spending that much time engrossed in what the CP's are or are not doing anymore than what any other consenting adults are 'doing.' I can't say I had any issues with my sons Disney experience as a CP aside from the difficulties making ends meet which was the same at his university with his University job. I knew I'd have to supplement either place.

Gabe1

I also want to point out that an equal portion of this "thirst" comes from the tourists visiting the area too. CPs aren't the only college aged population clustered around the CP housing area. In fact, if CPs are that "desperate" for personal enjoyment, there are more effective means of looking for a hookup, Grindr and Tindr come to mind. This is nothing new or scandalous, just people nitpicking at a non issue.

Frankly, I was surprised that topic was a criticism of young adults at all. Not like there isn't websites and apps for all age demographics for that subject matter. Heck, walk into any bar or lounge and you will witness it nightly no matter what the age demographic is.

raven

What does constant mean? Are you constantly monitoring the college students??? Why??? To what end? There are thousands of college students and Internationals. What percentage from all your research? In all seriousness I can't wrap my brain around as a mature adult spending that much time engrossed in what the CP's are or are not doing anymore than what any other consenting adults are 'doing.' I can't say I had any issues with my sons Disney experience as a CP aside from the difficulties making ends meet which was the same at his university with his University job. I knew I'd have to supplement either place.
Calm down. Who made their reputation? They did.

The app is free for anyone, not just for college kids. It's meant to be for posting thoughts and fun things. But the CP's actually list the name of their building, address and what kind of fun they are looking for. I cannot post any specifics here because they are too graphic. But they "constantly" gripe about security, their transportation, roommates, lack of sex, lack of drugs, guests and having to work when they want to spend the day in the parks instead. They also "constantly" make posts about looking for sex and drugs. I am not "engrossed" with them or am "constantly monitoring" them as you claim. I have been using the app for a long time and just happen to be in an area where they reside. As for the Typhoon Lagoon bash they are having tonight, many have used this app to plan some "fun on the side" in the bathrooms and other ares of the water park during the event.

I currently have 2 CP alumni's living with me and have had 3 others as roommates in the past. All of their stories back up everything I've said.

Horizons1

The app is free for anyone, not just for college kids. It's meant to be for posting thoughts and fun things. But the CP's actually list the name of their building, address and what kind of fun they are looking for. I cannot post any specifics here because they are too graphic. But they "constantly" gripe about security, their transportation, roommates, lack of sex, lack of drugs, guests and having to work when they want to spend the day in the parks instead. They also "constantly" make posts about looking for sex and drugs. I am not "engrossed" with them or am "constantly monitoring" them as you claim. I have been using the app for a long time and just happen to be in an area where they reside. As for the Typhoon Lagoon bash they are having tonight, many have used this app to plan some "fun on the side" in the bathrooms and other ares of the water park during the event.

I currently have 2 CP alumni's living with me and have had 3 others as roommates in the past. All of their stories back up everything I've said.
In the bathrooms? Gross, dude.

Gabe1

I find posts like this unfortunate. I'm the one who should calm down? You've created and continue to build quite the reputation for thousands of current and former CPs. Equally interesting that you are constantly auditing their posts??? Who has time for that let alone, more unsettling, the desire? While I've seen young and older people post things that are inappropriate this is equally reckless to trash the College Program students in this manner. If these students are all this carelessly wild which I highly doubt, I certainly would not be inviting them to come live with me? Wanting CPs as you depict their reputations, as room mates repeatedly cause me to question the credibility of the reputation you are building for them. Who condemns the morals of these individuals along with their illegal behaviors and repeatedly wants to share a residence with them?

It is so easy to trash Disney and their College Program under the veil of anonymity and collaborated by equally anonymous alumni's. I have no doubt the program had and has some students that lack maturity and common sense but that is typical of both youth and all age demographics. Heck there is hardly a career path, educational venue or walk of life that doesn't have individuals that have poor judgement.

wdwfan22

Well you have to understand the reputation they have over years and years and years. I'd like to say they are better today but a quick look at a certain social app in their area just pushes them back into that category. I do believe there are many who truly here to get a good experience. But when you have new-to-the-adult-world people all living together, many for the first time with no supervision, things get carried away very quickly, even if they DO work for Disney. There is no denying that kind of behavior goes on from any former or current CP. So it's easy to understand why people think that.

Most of this so called reputation comes from bitter full time regular Cast Members who are disgruntled with Disney. All college kids are going to behave as college kids would. This is no different at Disney than any other college around the world. I did the college program as well as worked in a full time professional role with Disney. I didn't behave in an out of control manner and neither did many of my friends. While some may act out and rebel during there program to say it's the majority is simply not true.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Unfortunately the Disney CP has gotten a reputation as a nest of debauchery which is largely undeserved but the problem is app's like the ones in use at CP just add to the mystique - you probably have 10-15% living on the wild side just like any college dorm anywhere in the world but those CP's living the wild life in public set the image for the rest of the CP'ers in the public's eye.

Goofyernmost

I'm still going with the speculation that it was somehow weather related to the monsoon the previous night.
No, absolutely not... it was the damn lack of maintenance that Disney practices on a daily basis. Hundreds of attractions running day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year with, allegedly no maintenance. How lucky can one company get. If it had been me that kind of lack of attention would have shut everything down years ago. They must be blessed. Either that or the lack of regular maintenance is the crock of crap that I'm pretty certain it is.

Mikejakester

No, absolutely not... it was the damn lack of maintenance that Disney practices on a daily basis. Hundreds of attractions running day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year with, allegedly no maintenance. How lucky can one company get. If it had been me that kind of lack of attention would have shut everything down years ago. They must be blessed. Either that or the lack of regular maintenance is the crock of crap that I'm pretty certain it is.
lol! o_O- Dear lord... chill... it was related to the storm. There was some over flooding, and way too much debris to be cleared on time, some debris also fell on some tubes that might have cracked and they were being looked at. *facepalm* Geez..

Attachments

• db8f3c918b805dcd2ee1cf91aaceb5c6.jpg
    db8f3c918b805dcd2ee1cf91aaceb5c6.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 34

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom