Monorail System Express Beam closures this weekend (march 18, 19)

ExMonorailCM

I was not aware there would still be pilots. Could the pay decrease as the pilots may not necessarily be as heavily trained (therefore saving money on new hire training as well). Will the system allow less CM's at the stations?

Probably not. It's a union so the people that are already there will keep making the same amount, and there's already not much room for a decrease for the new comers.. CM's will always need to be at the stations for safety and unloading guests with disabilities and in the cab for when they inevitably break down on the beam. It's my understanding the automation is only to increase efficiency moving the trains.

KikoKea

The cast members required will not change. Drivers will still be in the cab, they just won't have to step out to open the doors. The trains still need to be operated manually at certain points, such as going back to shop. The platform will still be staffed the same amount of cast. It is primarily to speed up the throughput of the system as the trains will adjust automatically and practically eliminate the holding scenarios.
Ah, I see. Thanks.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Probably not. It's a union so the people that are already there will keep making the same amount, and there's already not much room for a decrease for the new comers.. CM's will always need to be at the stations for safety and unloading guests with disabilities and in the cab for when they inevitably break down on the beam. It's my understanding the automation is only to increase efficiency moving the trains.

The more I hear about this, the angrier I get knowing that all this money and resources is being used to minimize waiting at hold points. They can't use it to put anymore trains on the beam, because the extra ones are broken and in for repair.

montyz81

The more I hear about this, the angrier I get knowing that all this money and resources is being used to minimize waiting at hold points. They can't use it to put anymore trains on the beam, because the extra ones are broken and in for repair.
Isn't there only one train in for repair because of a broken nose cone?

dstrawn9889

yes, and there are only enough stacks to run 4 on each beam... but someone help out here... they can now run up to 5 on the express... will the increase in efficiency mean more stacks on the beam?

monothingie

Premium Member
Isn't there only one train in for repair because of a broken nose cone?

I thought the usual max number of trains during peak times was 4,4,2. With 2 being cycled out for routine cleanup/maintenance. (trying to keep a straight face). I would imagine during busy times they can do 4,5,3 or 4,4,4, or 5,5,2 but when you have crowds that big, there are going to be delays not matter what. Just the sheer amount of time it takes to load a train to the max is something that will inevitably cause delays regardless of whether or not there is an automation system.

dstrawn9889

see the whole point of the automation is to let the cast say... stop! another train is due in 10 minutes. no need to spend the time to pack to the gills when there is one on the way to the platform

montyz81

see the whole point of the automation is to let the cast say... stop! another train is due in 10 minutes. no need to spend the time to pack to the gills when there is one on the way to the platform
10 minutes is an awfully long time for a Disney fan to wait. 7DMT could go from 20 - 90 minute wait times in that time.

Rider

It's not about adding more trains to a line it's about reducing the cycle time. If they cut out the delays caused by pilot "error" (slow station entry/departure, correcting bad parking, inefficient speeds, etc) they can have the trains complete the circuit faster and therefore get more people around the system during peak usage using the same number of trains.

monothingie

Premium Member
It's not about adding more trains to a line it's about reducing the cycle time. If they cut out the delays caused by pilot "error" (slow station entry/departure, correcting bad parking, inefficient speeds, etc) they can have the trains complete the circuit faster and therefore get more people around the system during peak usage using the same number of trains.

I wouldn't mind waiting an extra minute for a train not being held together by Scotch tape.

**Edit Scotch tape maybe too expensive, how about generic dollar store tape.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom