Premium Parking coming to Walt Disney World's parking lots?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Whoa, what?! So the regular lots are full and then the only option left is pay for that ridiculous lot or nothing??

Sounds like a feature not a bug. It's backdoor surge pricing. Take for example 25% of parking make it premium. That way on busy days everyone who comes in after standard is full now pays 35 to park and those with FREE STANDARD PARKING have to pay 15 GENIOUS....

Expect the premium lot percentage to increase percentage being number of spaces allocated to premium parking. This way they can also upcharge onsite guests and AP holders. Sorry no STANDARD parking available but you can park in the PREMIUM lot for 15 bucks

This kind of crap makes me want to blow chunks.

Disone

Hearing that at some point yesterday some guests were only given the option of premium parking at DAK. I really hope that's not what happened, but...I always did have that thought at the back of my mind they may do that.

This I have not heard. Source please?

Goofyernmost

Sounds like a feature not a bug. It's backdoor surge pricing. Take for example 25% of parking make it premium. That way on busy days everyone who comes in after standard is full now pays 35 to park and those with FREE STANDARD PARKING have to pay 15 GENIOUS....

Expect the premium lot percentage to increase percentage being number of spaces allocated to premium parking. This way they can also upcharge onsite guests and AP holders. Sorry no STANDARD parking available but you can park in the PREMIUM lot for 15 bucks

This kind of crap makes me want to blow chunks.
This is how the crap gets started. It is read incorrectly, or worded incorrectly, it doesn't really matter which one, and people run with it like it is fact. It isn't fact. It isn't even remotely logical. Calm down, and keep your "chunks" to yourself.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is how the crap gets started. It is read incorrectly, or worded incorrectly, it doesn't really matter which one, and people run with it like it is fact. It isn't fact. It isn't even remotely logical. Calm down, and keep your "chunks" to yourself.

You did read the bit about how only the premium parking was available for AK visitors did you not

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think something got lost in translation there..... I cant imagine Disney having only the Premium part of their parking lots open and doing that kind of backdoor action.

I can now you have 2 inventories of parking. There is fixed number available spaces in each inventory one at a low price one at a high. In the old days it would have been a 'free upgrade' but now with Disney digging in the sofa cushions for change to keep the buybacks healthy... No standard parking left that will be a 15 dollar upcharge have a magical day...

When the low rice inventory is sold out only the high price one remains hence people being charged the 35 dollar price or 15 if they have a 'standard' parking entitlement

Anyone who did not see this backdoor surge pricing arrangement when premium parking was introduced is blind.

Disone

I can now you have 2 inventories of parking. There is fixed number available spaces in each inventory one at a low price one at a high. In the old days it would have been a 'free upgrade' but now with Disney digging in the sofa cushions for change to keep the buybacks healthy... No standard parking left that will be a 15 dollar upcharge have a magical day...

When the low rice inventory is sold out only the high price one remains hence people being charged the 35 dollar price or 15 if they have a 'standard' parking entitlement

Anyone who did not see this backdoor surge pricing arrangement when premium parking was introduced is blind.

I get your concern, but......

The DAK parking lot did not sell out of standard parking. None of the theme parks have, as of yet, run out of low rice inventory leaving only high price rice to sell.

Also, typically a park will close it's lot due to attendance long before the lot is actually full. This make your concern highly unlikely. DAK did not even reach capacity on Memorial day weekend. An alert is sent out to the other parks and all the resorts anytime a deviation of the norm occurs regarding the parks and their parking lots. It certainly was less busy this weekend.

It may not be a very.... rice thing to say, but I don't think there is any grain of truth to the rumor. :D

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The real test will be July 4th and New Years when parking really does fill up.

Yes yes it will and if people are not completely hacked off to the point of turning around and leaving when they get upcharged. Rest assured that the premium parking inventory will increase while the standard parking is decreased

brent2124

Surely, this hasn't been confirmed? This has to be a joke does it not?
No joke.

Parking cast members also refused to accept the AP of a child and allow that preferred parking to only cost $15. No where does Disney state that only adults AP's include parking and both the child's and adults AP's cost the same price so it would be safe to think they all have the same benefits.

The cash grab is truly a disgrace

Goofyernmost

No joke.

Parking cast members also refused to accept the AP of a child and allow that preferred parking to only cost $15. No where does Disney state that only adults AP's include parking and both the child's and adults AP's cost the same price so it would be safe to think they all have the same benefits.

The cash grab is truly a disgrace
Nope, still not buying it. Twitter would have lit up like a Christmas tree over something like that. So far we have heard this from you and a he said/she said from someone else.

Biff215

Believe me, as much fun as it is to watch this particular train wreck develop, I think it means that the only place where Premium Parking was being offered was AK. Assuming that the other parks had that area filled up and had no place to put new Guests. Not the other way around.
That's not how I understood that post, but I don't have any info myself. It seems unlikely that AK standard parking would be full, but you never know. Perhaps @maxairmike can come back and verify?

Goofyernmost

That's not how I understood that post, but I don't have any info myself. It seems unlikely that AK standard parking would be full, but you never know. Perhaps @maxairmike can come back and verify?
@maxairmike has had plenty of opportunity to clarify, but, hasn't. I have been familiar enough with WDW to feel pretty certain that the parking lot at AK did not fill up. Also, the very nightmare for Marketing for something like that to happen when they only want to make their life easier, is just hard to believe. Even if they would have had to park them in the "ripoff" parking area, they would have a really hard time justifying it or, with no warning, not honor an AP.

CircusPeanuts

DAK parking has not filled to capacity (premium or regular) since premium parking started. There would not be a point where "just premium parking was available" - that is not in the plan or design for premium parking. Not to say that it couldn't change in the future - but it hasn't been talked and I highly doubt that it would be.

Someone with just a child AP is entitled to the same parking privileges (and upgrade to premium) as someone with an adult AP. That is a *very* common practice that the cast see many times each day. It's either a made up story, or a brand new CM who was confused.

Disone

DAK parking has not filled to capacity (premium or regular) since premium parking started. There would not be a point where "just premium parking was available" - that is not in the plan or design for premium parking. Not to say that it couldn't change in the future - but it hasn't been talked and I highly doubt that it would be.

Someone with just a child AP is entitled to the same parking privileges (and upgrade to premium) as someone with an adult AP. That is a *very* common practice that the cast see many times each day. It's either a made up story, or a brand new CM who was confused.

It strikes me odd that this is a very common occurrence. Why would a car have a passenger that has a child AP and in that same car there is not an adult AP holder? What's the story behind that scenario?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It strikes me odd that this is a very common occurrence. Why would a car have a passenger that has a child AP and in that same car there is not an adult AP holder? What's the story behind that scenario?

I'm guessing AP holding family perhaps brought Grandparents along for the trip and grandparents have the kiddo that day. while parents relax at the spa for the day. No knowledge of the actual situation but this is one that is logical to me at least.

FoodRockz

A story of "I borrowed someone's kid for free/cheaper parking."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom