Monorail Black to get Star Wars promo window decoration

dreamfinder

A monorail down because of the crash? That shouldn't have been known about when these were being designed and manufactured.

Not necessarily, but to decide to not take a train out of service for a few days to install a full wrap and rather just install the windows panels that could be done overnight could be made on the fly. The wrap that goes on windows is usually perforated, so would have been designed/cut separate from the body wrap (not perforated) and could easily have been used solo.

Monorail_Red_77

Not necessarily, but to decide to not take a train out of service for a few days to install a full wrap and rather just install the windows panels that could be done overnight could be made on the fly. The wrap that goes on windows is usually perforated, so would have been designed/cut separate from the body wrap (not perforated) and could easily have been used solo.

Yep, the window sections is usually a 50% perforated vs non-perf on the body. On normal cars and trucks that have these wraps, the 50% window perfs do not hold up as well long term. They tend to loose the printer ink on them. I know this from experience. I can only imagine how much this would have cost full wrap vs cheap style. I know that out in the real world a full wrap on my cargo van would have cost a couple thousand dollars. With these monorails I would guess that it probably on the order of around 50 grand. Though I'mm sure they do the printing in house which saves some there. But still. I think that this is a cheap move all the way around. Looks, cheap. Was cheap install as it was just on the windows.

I would have rather them not do it at all. At least based on this design. To me it makes it look as though the monorail is going past this scene and it is being reflected onto the windows. Yuck....

Now if they would have done it a bit more like the Monster-rail. That could have been a bit cooler. They could have had the characters look like they were riding the monorail with their heads out the window. Maybe r2d2 hanging on the outside holding onto the window edge or something. or C3PO with his leg stuck in the door or something.

Maybe its the plain desert scene that is throwing this wrap off. LOL

Monorail_Red_77

It's coming up end of quarter, gotta make the numbers look good besides it's Star Wars any thing we do the rubes will just lap it up...

Kinda like the "special" cupcakes they do. Hey lets make a normal cupcake and slap a plastic sticker on it. Boom, frozen cupcake. Oh, wait for it... Boom, Star Wars cupcake. We can make these all day long.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yep the majority of people have no idea its coming out, and they have hardly pre-sold any tickets.

Seriously though, I'm not sure at this point if any marketing is even worth it. I'm surprised they did anything on the monorail.

The only marketing that Disney has really done for SW is toys, Yes the've pre-sold 50 mil in tix to the hardcore fans but if those same fans while being interviewed are not happy with the product.... It's not going to be pretty.

I really think that Iger thought he bought a toy franchise that happened to have movies which may explain the animus which now seems to be a thing between Lucas and Iger.

As to the underwheming "Launch Bay' another poster noted that there are warehouses full of stuff at Skywalker Ranch that could have been used.

Either way it's going to be an interesting ride.

DisneyOutsider

In one thread you say this:

The only marketing that Disney has really done for SW is toys, Yes the've pre-sold 50 mil in tix to the hardcore fans but if those same fans while being interviewed are not happy with the product.... It's not going to be pretty.

In another you say this:

The more Disney hypes this movie the less interested in seeing it I become because to me at least the level of hype means the movie can't stand on it's own merits.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ABQ

Well they shoehorned it into a number of awards shows on ABC in the past few weeks, CMA's, AMA's both had a good number of minutes devoted to Star Wars.

rucifee

Yes - When the first trailer's signature moment was BB-8 zipping across the screen, My immediate thought is the movie is going to be a 2 hour toy advertisement.

I was talking to someone the other day who noticed I was wearing a SW t-shirt and took the opportunity to talk SW....she was expecting to be disappointed because it's been hyped so much. She said even if it's great, she will probably be disappointed because of how much Disney's hyped it. She said she was a huge SW fan so she was disappointed that all the hype made her feel that way.

Sadly, I can relate. I anticipate being let down. When Lucas walks away and has nothing to do with it because it doesn't mesh with his vision of Star Wars, you can expect a bad time.

note2001

Yes - When the first trailer's signature moment was BB-8 zipping across the screen, My immediate thought is the movie is going to be a 2 hour toy advertisement.

I want to know if the writers went to the toy companies and asked "Can you make this and can you make it affordable for the average family?" before deciding on the final design for BB8. Knowing Disney, the answer was yes.

Disney is king of creating product from their movies. It's a know fact that if they don't have much product for a movie, they push it has hard (look at Big Hero 6 verses Frozen). This one, being pushed so hard will (also has/is) flood the market with product.

My stock likes it, but an extra $20 in my pocket doesn't feel like much when that SW toy the kiddo wants is $60. To loop this back around to the conversation on the monorail, I showed that same kid the imagery of the planes his reaction to them was "Wow, R2!" and "Meh" to the other two planes as well as the monorail.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom